• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2023 Six Nations] Scotland v Italy - 18 March 2023

I think Kinghorn is our best 15 at present and Ollie Smith is probably second. Hogg's electric pace seems to have gone and I hope Townsend doesn't keep giving him caps just because they go way back.

Hogg has a lot of credit in the bank and shouldn't be written off but I'd like to see selections on merit.

I think Kinghorn is our best 15 at present and Ollie Smith is probably second. Hogg's electric pace seems to have gone and I hope Townsend doesn't keep giving him caps just because they go way back.

Hogg has a lot of credit in the bank and shouldn't be written off but I'd like to see selections on merit.
Completely agree with you there. I reckon Townsend will be switched onto this though.

Think Hoggs 'decline' is a bit of a loss of pace and defences being far better organised during the kicking game. He can't just run into a crowd of Scottish shirts and come out the other side now as the defence will be wise to it.

That said, he's still ****-hot and shouldn't be tossed to the side.

100%

And I would add,

Hogg might now be more of an asset against tired defenses at 60/65mins off the bench than he is a starter. When was his last try for Scotland?

Italy: 15 Tommy Allan, 14 Pierre Bruno, 13 Juan Ignacio Brex, 12 Tommaso Menoncello, 11 Simone Gesi, 10 Paolo Garbisi, 9 Alessandro Fusco, 8 Lorenzo Cannone, 7 Michele Lamaro (c), 6 Sebastian Negri, 5 Federico Ruzza, 4 Edoardo Iachizzi, 3 Marco Riccioni, 2 Giacomo Nicotera, 1 Danilo Fischetti

Replacements: 16 Marco Manfredi, 17 Federico Zani, 18 Pietro Ceccarelli, 19 Niccolo Cannone, 20 Giovanni Pettinelli, 21 Manuel Zuliani, 22 Alessandro Garbisi, 23 Luca Morisi
I actually think Allan looked okay last week, it was Garbisi who really struggled, poor kicking (he seemed to be misconnecting a lot?) poor passing, and just rushed. Hopefully he improves this week

Glad to see Fusco starting and the Garbisi brothers will hopefully get some minutes together.

Italy by 10

I actually think Allan looked okay last week, it was Garbisi who really struggled, poor kicking (he seemed to be misconnecting a lot?) poor passing, and just rushed. Hopefully he improves this week
Thats accurate. I think Allan did okay after ropey start. But he doesnt scream 'natural fullback' like Padovani and he has a weaker boot. I agree on Garbisi. I know he can keep Pollard out of a XV and he is by some distance the best 10 Italy have ever had (Domignuez would be no use in the modern game), but he is far from bullet proof and from his Italy caps I'd only rate him about the 4th best 10 in the 6N.

Scotland to win a high scoring match by at least 2 scores.

I have a sneaky feeling of an away win today. Think last week was very deflating for Scotland and Italy seemed incredibly ****** off after their game.

We all want Italy to win and tbh they are looking good, but that was some finish by VDM

Latest posts