English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 10.31.08.png

No Hogg and Russell for Scotland, need the forwards to step up and also to see some resiliance from the backs to still attack without FR.

Part of me wonders if there could be an upset here given Scotland's injury woes. Is Capuozzo likely to play?

I think he might be out for the tournament? I really hope there is no upset, scotland really should have this together enough to do the job…

No upset here. Kinghorn is an upgrade on Hogg and Huwpolotu to help Healy (Healuwpolotu) through his first cap.

No upset here. Kinghorn is an upgrade on Hogg and Huwpolotu to help Healy (Healuwpolotu) through his first cap.
Good call, hopefully whoever is in at 10 is wanting to prove themselves and is already familiar with the patterns of play.

The style against Ireland took a lot of focus off Finn so the requirement for flair can be reduced for lesser mortals ;)

Good call, hopefully whoever is in at 10 is wanting to prove themselves and is already familiar with the patterns of play.

The style against Ireland took a lot of focus off Finn so the requirement for flair can be reduced for lesser mortals ;)

From what I gather Healy has a pretty good boot on him and so we may adapt our play and elect to have more kicks at goal.

Kinghorn cannot catch a break. He finally will get game time and will look average due to no Finn at fly half. So Hogg will be preferred in the future. Kinghorn may even be made to play 10.

It needs to be Padovani at fullback for Italy if Minozzi is not considered fit/adequate following lengthy injury issues that appear to have diminished his stock. I can't see Italy doing a hell of a lot against an ever improving Scottish defence with that backline against Wales last time out. Look how hard Ireland, in fine form, had to work to score points.

Ashman is really solid I remeber being impressed with him previously. Watson and Dempsey in the back row should be interesting, Dempsey made some big carries aganist Ireland and Watson is not afraid to carry either.

No disrepect to Italy but I hope the starting 15 can lay a solid base upto 50mins and the bench get a decent chance at some game time. Redpath/Jones would be good to learn more about, Healy also.

Starting Kinghorn at 10 suggests Townsend isn't taking Italy lightly and is not keen to risk a starting debut for Healy. Bring him on with Price who is experienced enough when the game is (hopefully) in the bag.

I think Toony is wanting to make darn sure of a win as best he can first. No point in risking the game on unproven players yet.

Completely agree. Would like to see Italy put up a good fight though. It's a net-positive for rugby when Italy are competitive.

Kinghorn cannot catch a break. He finally will get game time and will look average due to no Finn at fly half. So Hogg will be preferred in the future. Kinghorn may even be made to play 10.

It needs to be Padovani at fullback for Italy if Minozzi is not considered fit/adequate following lengthy injury issues that appear to have diminished his stock. I can't see Italy doing a hell of a lot against an ever improving Scottish defence with that backline against Wales last time out. Look how hard Ireland, in fine form, had to work to score points.
So Kinghorn at 10, Padovani dropped and Allan retained at 15.
Hrrnnnngh....Aaaawwwggggg!!!

Justice for Kinghorn and Patchell. Two of the most naturally talented free running, great ball handling backs of the past 10 years in the British Isles who cannot catch a break and never get an opportunity to show what they are capable of in their preferred position surrounded by 1st choice colleagues (leading to them being massively underrated and overlooked).

Again, Crowley has worked wonders. But I thought his selection last week was sub-optimum and would lead to a sub-par performance and it's the same again this week.

Scotland by 16

Italy: 15 Tommy Allan, 14 Pierre Bruno, 13 Juan Ignacio Brex, 12 Tommaso Menoncello, 11 Simone Gesi, 10 Paolo Garbisi, 9 Alessandro Fusco, 8 Lorenzo Cannone, 7 Michele Lamaro (c), 6 Sebastian Negri, 5 Federico Ruzza, 4 Edoardo Iachizzi, 3 Marco Riccioni, 2 Giacomo Nicotera, 1 Danilo Fischetti

Replacements: 16 Marco Manfredi, 17 Federico Zani, 18 Pietro Ceccarelli, 19 Niccolo Cannone, 20 Giovanni Pettinelli, 21 Manuel Zuliani, 22 Alessandro Garbisi, 23 Luca Morisi

So Kinghorn at 10, Padovani dropped and Allan retained at 15.
Hrrnnnngh....Aaaawwwggggg!!!

Justice for Kinghorn and Patchell. Two of the most naturally talented free running, great ball handling backs of the past 10 years in the British Isles who cannot catch a break and never get an opportunity to show what they are capable of in their preferred position surrounded by 1st choice colleagues (leading to them being massively underrated and overlooked).

Again, Crowley has worked wonders. But I thought his selection last week was sub-optimum and would lead to a sub-par performance and it's the same again this week.

Scotland by 16
So are you a Kinghorn at 10 or 15 man? He covers 10 well but he is 100% a fullback all day long.

I'm a Kinghorn 15 man all day long. Possibly on the wing next, then at 10. He has been pushed into playing at 10 but Scotland have some decent backup options there with Hastings and Thompson (presumably both injured). I think the modern game demands you play a 15 with good hands and that coaches underestimate the value of that in fullbacks. Guys like Capuozzo can influence a game almost as much as a top level 10, so respect the fullback position and put your top available man there. In this case Kinghorn and Padovani (although Smith shows promise and I can sympathise if Townsend thinks the drop off to Healy is greater than the drop off to Smith).

There is something about sticking what I consider an elite 15 at 10 that grinds my gears. I still find myself clenching my teeth any time I see Damian McKenzie at 10 at club level. I don't pretend its rational! :D

He is going to suceed Hogg eventually, this game would have been really good to see him get a good stretch at 15 but it's not a disaster call. Healy should get some time hopefully and a taste of the big boys game.

Latest posts