• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2023 Six Nations] Scotland v Italy - 18 March 2023

00-0aWysEZUU8EI2QgLh_Ii8El9O6hE7hpGDXhbVCqvgC_ppFH-6037FfrwSAMO1EjA4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA

Last edited:
Australian referee last week robbed Italy.

Australian referee this week robbed Italy.

Ban Australian referees
But not Australians playing for European teams, presumably.

A predictable end. Italy do not mentally view themselves as 'winners' and cannot match the depth that Scotland can recruit overseas. These were the differences on the day.

Hopefully Gardbisi Jnr can end Italy's decades long wait for a decent scrumhalf.
Italy should look harder. There are a lot of people in Aus with Italian heritage.

Italy should look harder. There are a lot of people in Aus with Italian heritage.
Fair point, but are Aussie rejects an upgrade? Sure, if they could get an ex-Wallabie like Dempsey, but I've not seen anyone like that listed.

I know the Aussie u20s were light years ahead of Italy u20s in 2019 but I'm not sure that would be the case now.

For me importing players has a clear ceiling and is not a long term solution. Scotland won't win a world cup and doubtful even a 6 Nations with this tactic. Italy U20s have played some fantastic rugby the last few years and had some big wins, especially over England. If they want to improve long term then tbh they need to continue the path they're on and not sacrifice the future for a possible quick fix that won't last.

For me importing players has a clear ceiling and is not a long term solution. Scotland won't win a world cup and doubtful even a 6 Nations with this tactic. Italy U20s have played some fantastic rugby the last few years and had some big wins, especially over England. If they want to improve long term then tbh they need to continue the path they're on and not sacrifice the future for a possible quick fix that won't last.
Agreed yeah, Scotland's importing has improved the team but they need to use the enhanced revenue to improve academies and coaching systems from the bottom up. Not, reportedly, offer Tuipoluto 2 three times what he's earning with the Waratahs to come over.

What they're doing has quite clearly hit it's ceiling as third best in Europe, Hogg's past his prime, Russell doesn't strike me as a guy who wants to or will be able to go deep into his 30s. Time for a rethink.

I'd throw in here that the guy Aboud who created the structure that led to the current Italian u20 'success' says the system has since changed and he is pessimistic about it. I completely agree on the limitations of importing players as a long term strategy, but on the day of this match, it was completely decisive.

Fair point, but are Aussie rejects an upgrade? Sure, if they could get an ex-Wallabie like Dempsey, but I've not seen anyone like that listed.

I know the Aussie u20s were light years ahead of Italy u20s in 2019 but I'm not sure that would be the case now.
That Mack Hansen seems to be doing alright. He was a 'reject' apparently. Tuipulotu is a Rebels reject from Melbourne and he was your captain last match, no?

An Aussie complaining about imports. 😂😂😂😂😂

It's not the players who are the rejects - it's the country.

He overlooks the fact that almost half of the Socceroos world cup team were born in Scotland including Jason Cummings who was capped for Scotland a few years ago. So we'll take no lectures from Aussies about nicking players thanks very much.

That Mack Hansen seems to be doing alright. He was a 'reject' apparently. Tuipulotu is a Rebels reject from Melbourne and he was your captain last match, no?
It's a fair shout, those two are probably the best Aussie export examples I can think of from the past couple of decades and would walk into an Italian 23. I dont think Tuipulotu is all that great. It's just the alternatives at 12 for Scotland are very limited. Hansen is okay, but a winger on the Irish side must be one of the easiest gigs out there as there are a lot of chances to get the ball in good attacking positions. But even if we accept these are good players, probably as good as the Wallaby equivalents, they aren't the norm historically for Aussie rejects. Guys like Sam Johnson, Luke McLean and Dan Parks just aren't international standard and are more likely to be the calibre of Italian Aussie that is out there.

It's a fair shout, those two are probably the best Aussie export examples I can think of from the past couple of decades and would walk into an Italian 23. I dont think Tuipulotu is all that great. It's just the alternatives at 12 for Scotland are very limited. Hansen is okay, but a winger on the Irish side must be one of the easiest gigs out there as there are a lot of chances to get the ball in good attacking positions. But even if we accept these are good players, probably as good as the Wallaby equivalents, they aren't the norm historically for Aussie exports. Guys like Sam Johnson and Dan Parks just aren't international standard are more likely to be the calibre of Italian Aussie that is out there.
Not sure that Hansen would necessarily shine in another system, but he is absolutely crucial in the Irish gameplan, and was probably the last piece of the puzzle for Farrell. His role in the Irish side is much more multifaceted than that of a regular winger, and he is expected to stand in where needed during phase play, and to pop up as a linkman across the backline. He works his arse off and is brilliant on the short side because of his soft hands and timing of pass. Farrell has produced a very balanced side, with players not picked for standard skill sets but how their skills complement their teammates and suit the gameplan, and Hansen is probably the best example of this.

Hearing Eddie Jones talk about Hansen and Tuipolotu on a podcast, he seems to think highly of them and be of the opinion they slipped through the net as opposed to being rejects.

Hearing Eddie Jones talk about Hansen and Tuipolotu on a podcast, he seems to think highly of them and be of the opinion they slipped through the net as opposed to being rejects.

He thinks highly of them now they're starring with Ireland and Scotland, but certainly in the case of Hansen there was no obvious pathway for him even into regular Super Rugby. He was always a bit player, and if It's true that it was a fortuitous friendship with Andy Friends son that prompted him to look at Connacht it would appear he didnt have a very planned career path.

I dont think Tuipulotu is all that great. It's just the alternatives at 12 for Scotland are very limited.

Au contraire IMO. I think Tuipolotu has the lot and is one of the best centres in world rugby at the moment. He can distribute, carry, defend, make line breaks and his grubber kicks are a joy to behold. His best position is 13 but can easily play inside centre. He and Huw actually alternate between 12 and 13 during games.

If there were a Lions tour this year he'd be in the squad and quite probably the test team.

Last edited:
He thinks highly of them now they're starring with Ireland and Scotland, but certainly in the case of Hansen there was no obvious pathway for him even into regular Super Rugby. He was always a bit player, and if It's true that it was a fortuitous friendship with Andy Friends son that prompted him to look at Connacht it would appear he didnt have a very planned career path.
This is nonsense. He was on the bench at the Brumbies and would have been starting by now (as several of the Wallabies he was behind left). He would almost certainly have been capped for the Wallabies last year.

Ireland offered more money and a fast track. That simple.

This is nonsense. He was on the bench at the Brumbies and would have been starting by now (as several of the Wallabies he was behind left). He would almost certainly have been capped for the Wallabies last year.

Ireland offered more money and a fast track. That simple.
You know more than probably most here about the Wallabies setup but let's be honest it's a relatively short career most would take the opportunity given to you on a plate rather than wait in hope of the one you may or may not get, the extra cash probably helps too.

You know more than probably most here about the Wallabies setup but let's be honest it's a relatively short career most would take the opportunity given to you on a plate rather than wait in hope of the one you may or may not get, the extra cash probably helps too.
Absolutely - I hold nothing against Mack. Maybe the system could be improved a bit though, no? The Dempsey situation, in particular, stinks.

And FWIW i dont think any of Dempsey, Tuipulotu or Hansen are in the best possible Wallabies 15. But its the loss of these depth options that crushes the Wallabies/SR sides.

Latest posts