• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2023 Six Nations] Scotland vs Wales - 11 February 2023

I'd be starting AWJ and dropping Beard out of the match day squad. Start AWJ and Davies and take off AWJ around the 50 min mark for Jenkins.
For sure, I think would be a smart move. Just don't see Gats doing it sadly. Beard is so undeserving of a guaranteed starting berth.

I think drop Tips altogether may be reasonable too (as much as it hurts ton say as I've always been Tips' biggest fan), and put Reffell at 7, Morgan on bench, with Tshiunza tried out at 6. Then Brown starting instead of Francis, and we have a forward thinking pack which could compliment each other quite well. Can't see it all happen though.

For sure, I think would be a smart move. Just don't see Gats doing it sadly. Beard is so undeserving of a guaranteed starting berth.

I think drop Tips altogether may be reasonable too (as much as it hurts ton say as I've always been Tips' biggest fan), and put Reffell at 7, Morgan on bench, with Tshiunza tried out at 6. Then Brown starting instead of Francis, and we have a forward thinking pack which could compliment each other quite well. Can't see it all happen though.
There's an argument to be made for tips dropping out but it isn't necessarily because he's been poor or Reffell would be better (though he'd offer more over the ball)

The best argument is that we know all about him and what he can do. We can rely on him in a WC and he's 100% making that WC squad if fit. But we don't know much about Reffell and Tshiunza in the back row, and Davies if he's looking at him as a 6 so we should give them as much time as we can. Same argument for dropping Beard and Francis, we're not learning anymore about them between now and the WC.

Everything says Scotland should win this with a bit to spare but Wales' and Gatland's individual record against Scotland is nagging away in the back of my mind. Wales have won on 6 of their last 7 visits to Murrayfield so they won't be fazed. It will be a one score game. Scotland by 6 points.

Scotland will **** the bed. Again.

Do people forget the tackle count they stacked up against England? Or the 70/30 possession?

Or that the only reason they won was a try from their own 10m line?

Talk about floating along on a sea of bullsh!t. Scotland aren't that good. On another day even that poor England team wins that by two scores.

Scotland will **** the bed. Again.

Do people forget the tackle count they stacked up against England? Or the 70/30 possession?

Or that the only reason they won was a try from their own 10m line?

Talk about floating along on a sea of bullsh!t. Scotland aren't that good. On another day even that poor England team wins that by two scores.

Even Townsend conceded that the performance fell short but I'd probably credit Scotland a bit more for a generally pretty solid defensive shift and being clinical with the few opportunities they got. They are normally heavily reliant on Russell pulling a rabbit or two out of the hat (last year's CC at Murrayfield) but this year they utilised the other attacking threats in the backline while the English players were too busy trying to rattle Russell by closing his space down quickly and putting in cheap late hits.

I view Saturday's performance as the rugby equivalent of a counter attacking team in football. Let the other team have the ball, soak up pressure and then hit them on the break. Possession counts for sweet FA if you can't convert it into points. Years ago the English forwards would have bullied their way to a win (regardless of the talent we had in the backline) but based on the past 4 Calcutta cups maybe Townsend has found a way to counter that.

I agree though that the acid test will be this weekend. If they lose at home to Wales then it'll rightly be 'same old Scotland'.

Even Townsend conceded that the performance fell short but I'd probably credit Scotland a bit more for a generally pretty solid defensive shift and being clinical with the few opportunities they got. They are normally heavily reliant on Russell pulling a rabbit or two out of the hat (last year's CC at Murrayfield) but this year they utilised the other attacking threats in the backline while the English players were too busy trying to rattle Russell by closing his space down quickly and putting in cheap late hits.

I view Saturday's performance as the rugby equivalent of a counter attacking team in football. Let the other team have the ball, soak up pressure and then hit them on the break. Possession counts for sweet FA if you can't convert it into points. Years ago the English forwards would have bullied their way to a win (regardless of the talent we had in the backline) but based on the past 4 Calcutta cups maybe Townsend has found a way to counter that.

I agree though that the acid test will be this weekend. If they lose at home to Wales then it'll rightly be 'same old Scotland'.
yeah it is really risky though. It depends on Russell making a couple of great passes and the wingers/backrow being almost perfect against a broken defense I think it will be interesting to see how it goes against Wales cause it's not like Wales will generate enough possession to ruin their structure.

yeah it is really risky though. It depends on Russell making a couple of great passes and the wingers/backrow being almost perfect against a broken defense I think it will be interesting to see how it goes against Wales cause it's not like Wales will generate enough possession to ruin their structure.

Yeah I imagine Wales will try and close down the Scottish attack quickly and knowing Gatland he might try and turn it into an arm wrestle. They may employ a rush defence and so we could see Russell and White chip the ball over the top for the likes of Jones and Sione to run onto. Not sure what the weather forecast is but Scotland will be hoping for another dry ball.

My internet service was down for nearly five days, so the first thing I want to do is to congratulate Scotland on their win over England. I think Scotland will beat Wales and look forward to watching it. CNBC is showing the Six Nations games on delay here in America, so I have to remember to stay off this forum on game day so I don't find out the score before I get to watch it. ;)
UgCvCAxS-zNyrigZg.png

Last edited:
I'd like to see the same 15 again this week, with the possible exception of Mish, Zander and/or Darcy being fit to play

I'd like to see the same 15 again this week, with the possible exception of Mish, Zander and/or Darcy being fit to play
I was going to echo this too, tbh the only change I would be after is Zander in for WP. At 36 he doesn't have to prove anything and ZF is a big presence in the loose.

Go all out to batter the Welsh forwards and we have a decent chance, some clever mix up of play should unravel their defence I hope.

Maybe a bit OT but I reckon Wales and Scotland have the two best national anthems in the world (together with my beloved Sweden that is 😁) with South Africa and Japan not far behind too. I like Irelands too, Amhrán na Bhfiann. Irelands Call is a pretty decent anthem as well even though it's not a "real" National Anthem! ! Maybe I should create a new thread for National Anthems 😆 There are so man great hymns! France and Italy have majestic ones too!

I was going to echo this too, tbh the only change I would be after is Zander in for WP. At 36 he doesn't have to prove anything and ZF is a big presence in the loose.

Go all out to batter the Welsh forwards and we have a decent chance, some clever mix up of play should unravel their defence I hope.
Fair enough, maybe it would be better to save Mish and Darcy

The return of Zander should be a priority as you say

Fair enough, maybe it would be better to save Mish and Darcy

The return of Zander should be a priority as you say

I would be tempted to keep the same back row. Ritchie stays as captain, M Fagerson was immense and topped the tackle stats. Luke Crosbie did a lot of unseen work and I'm not convinced he deserves to be dropped unless Mish is tearing it up in training. Dempsey is another option and could be a useful ball carrier. He could play 8 with M Fagerson moving to 6 and Ritchie to 7.

Maybe a bit OT but I reckon Wales and Scotland have the two best national anthems in the world (together with my beloved Sweden that is 😁) with South Africa and Japan not far behind too. I like Irelands too, Amhrán na Bhfiann. Irelands Call is a pretty decent anthem as well even though it's not a "real" National Anthem! ! Maybe I should create a new thread for National Anthems 😆 There are so man great hymns! France and Italy have majestic ones too!
Welsh one is good. Scottish one is a good folk song, but not a great anthem. French and Italian ones are magic. Can't stand the Irish ones.

I'm in the camp that thinks Scotland did pretty well last week, an away win despite a botched certain try and as impressive an outing from a Scottish pack as I can remember. I only expected them to lose due to anticipating a post EJ / Ben Youngs bump from England.

Wales have possibly never had less ranking points than they do today. They are closer to Japan, Samoa, Italy, Fiji and Georgia than to Scotland. I think Scotland can and will **** the bed and still squeak this game by 6 points. If they have the same 10, 12, 13 combination that is as they are bound to create 1 or 2 gilt edged chances. I think they will **** the bed because I see zero change in their unprofessional mindset by over celebrating a single victory (although as far as I'm aware we have yet to have the annual "we are awesome" media quote from the camp).

I do think Wales will be an improved beast by the end of the tournament. If this was the last game rather than the 2nd round I think there would be much more potential for an away win. But again, how much can they improve in a week?

Can Scotland win? Yes.

Do Scotland need to win? Absolutely.

Reality is that they are still not consistent enough to be challenging for the 6Ns or realistically the semi-finals of the WC. 5th in the rankings is great, but it's also partly due to Wales, England and Australia all being a complete mess at the moment. Scotland need to win and come 3rd to shown they have turned a corner. If they lose and get bogged down in a 3 way battle for 3rd with England and Wales then they won't have made much progress from previous years.

I'm in the camp that thinks Scotland did pretty well last week, an away win despite a botched certain try and as impressive an outing from a Scottish pack as I can remember. I only expected them to lose due to anticipating a post EJ / Ben Youngs bump from England.

Wales have possibly never had less ranking points than they do today. They are closer to Japan, Samoa, Italy, Fiji and Georgia than to Scotland. I think Scotland can and will **** the bed and still squeak this game by 6 points. If they have the same 10, 12, 13 combination that is as they are bound to create 1 or 2 gilt edged chances. I think they will **** the bed because I see zero change in their unprofessional mindset by over celebrating a single victory (although as far as I'm aware we have yet to have the annual "we are awesome" media quote from the camp).

I do think Wales will be an improved beast by the end of the tournament. If this was the last game rather than the 2nd round I think there would be much more potential for an away win. But again, how much can they improve in a week?

I couldn't disagree more re. over celebrating the win against England. Jim Hamilton was pitch side and has mentioned several times that there was no over celebrating and that this time seemed different. DVDM said in his post match presser that they needed to back it up with another win this weekend. I haven't seen any evidence of the Scots getting carried away with last weekend's win. Yes there were hugs and smiles amongst the players at the final whistle but that's to be expected and pretty normal after a hard earned win.

I couldn't disagree more re. over celebrating the win against England. Jim Hamilton was pitch side and has mentioned several times that there was no over celebrating and that this time seemed different. DVDM said in his post match presser that they needed to back it up with another win this weekend. I haven't seen any evidence of the Scots getting carried away with last weekend's win. Yes there were hugs and smiles amongst the players at the final whistle but that's to be expected and pretty normal after a hard earned win.
Well Townsend himself says he was "emotional" at the final whistle.

Well Townsend himself says he was "emotional" at the final whistle.
Quite different to over celebrating though.

I agree with Ogg, they accepted the win and took it well but are under no illusions as to what must happen this week. A maturity is coming, they haven't shown it in the past and it's not yet proven itself to be cemented in yet but I feel that they are being more honest about the situation now.

There is little appetite to be the glorious losers now, we in Scotland know what they can do and having got a few monkeys off the back with Twickenham, Paris and wales away there is serious questioning from the public when they do not perform. The group are good enough now, it's time to show it.

Latest posts