• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2023 Six Nations] Scotland vs Wales - 11 February 2023

b25lY21zOjBlOTE0ZDc0LTY3YTYtNDNiZi1hYmFjLTljZmNjMTFhYzNmMDpjOTBlZmYyNi1mN2M4LTQ1NWEtODNlZS0wZG...jpg

I was rubbing shoulders with lovely Welsh fans in Edinburgh and Glasgow last night and actually felt a bit sad towards the end of that. I thought their new starts exceeded expectations in the first half (although Scotland were poor), but Wales sort of capitulated.

Wales being eliminated after two games is no bad thing. They need to experiment and find a new lineup and identity for the RWC. Not being in the running means they can do this without any restriction and target hitting top form in the RWC knockouts. I still rate Wales as having a far, far higher chance of reaching the RWC knockouts than Scotland, and possibly Ireland.
It's a funny one but do Wales have the player pool? Gats MO isn't to be overly creative which maybe is required wonder if he's regretting coming back after the legacy he had left.

Seems like that was Gatland's approach in mental preparation for this game by fuelling that mindset, I can give Biggar some slack there.

That said if you come out with that to the press, get smashed you look a little silly to say the least so will have to ride out the flak coming his way. Even worse is what psychological damage that combination can do, do you stop believing in what you're doing?

I was rubbing shoulders with lovely Welsh fans in Edinburgh and Glasgow last night and actually felt a bit sad towards the end of that. I thought their new starts exceeded expectations in the first half (although Scotland were poor), but Wales sort of capitulated.

Wales being eliminated after two games is no bad thing. They need to experiment and find a new lineup and identity for the RWC. Not being in the running means they can do this without any restriction and target hitting top form in the RWC knockouts. I still rate Wales as having a far, far higher chance of reaching the RWC knockouts than Scotland, and possibly Ireland.
Seeing as Scotland have Ireland SA in their group I had little hope if them getting out of the pool since it was announced.

Scotland very much suffered from the early pool draw

Seeing as Scotland have Ireland SA in their group I had little hope if them getting out of the pool since it was announced.

Group of death for a team that has a poor game somewhere.
The draw has been as previous, others have had same fate if fair or not .
Generally world cups take alot of organisations tours, hospitality, TV et al 18 months out for me.
Each team takes chance on seedings then.
Fair point made though.

That makes a difference to their chance of progression but reality is if they can't beat either in the pool stages they have little chance of winning the WC.

Do you think Gatland stuck with the old hands last week to protect the new blood from a morale shattering hammering?

Group of death for a team that has a poor game somewhere.
The draw has been as previous, others have had same fate if fair or not .
Generally world cups take alot of organisations tours, hospitality, TV et al 18 months out for me.
Each team takes chance on seedings then.
Fair point made though.
The draw was for 2019 was made in may 2017, based upon current ranking at that date.

For 2023 the draw took place in Dec 2020 using the rankings as at 1st Jan 2020 doing COVID

If the draw had been based on current rankings as per the draw date (dec 20) Scotland were 8th and would have been group second seed. Instead there were base as group 3

As it is Wales are currently seeded 3rd overall

Pleased particularly with the scoreline and the second half attitude to shift the ball around.

Huw Jones gets a special mention for me he has now demonstrated he can defend as well as be the key in attack we need. Tougher games will be ahead but well played Huw.

I love how wound up people get by Russell, the reality is everything he tries won't always work and he does make some annoying mistakes. However, it is rare that these mistakes in isolation cost Scotland the game, and passes like the one to Steyn just put him a level above for vision and skill. I'm happier with him in the team than out.

Great display by the forwards overall, big test against particularly Ireland but I think we are showing that we can mix well with the big boys thus far. Turner was immense, glad the tackle was a yellow it was correctly called.

Not seen the France game yet today but clearly they are beatable, we just have to be good enough to do it.

The draw was for 2019 was made in may 2017, based upon current ranking at that date.

For 2023 the draw took place in Dec 2020 using the rankings as at 1st Jan 2020 doing COVID

If the draw had been based on current rankings as per the draw date (dec 20) Scotland were 8th and would have been group second seed. Instead there were base as group 3

As it is Wales are currently seeded 3rd overall
I never said it was perfect , who knew how long covid would be ?
Will world rugby learn? maybe,
Scotland lose next 3 what is their ranking.
So many unpredictable scenarios.
All knew when draw was being made so I guess all are on same playing field.
The dates if right or wrong were known by all , thus all could make sure to best of abilities best seeding.

I never said it was perfect , who knew how long covid would be ?
Will world rugby learn? maybe,
Scotland lose next 3 what is their ranking.
So many unpredictable scenarios.
All knew when draw was being made so I guess all are on same playing field.
The dates if right or wrong were known by all , thus all could make sure to best of abilities best seeding.
Thems the breaks i agree

Scotland just unlucky to get Ireland and SA in the same group, 2 of the 4 teams above them currently in the rankings

Dominating performance by Scotland over Wales. 👊 Congratulations!
UgCvCAxS-zNyrigZg.png

That's outrageous. Some pair of lads.

The penalty count will be a little concerning still, only helped because wales had so many more today.
Also find the scrum stats a bit worrying 2/5

Latest posts