• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2023 Six Nations] Wales v Ireland - 5 February 2023

How many of those players are in for 5-6 year old reputation alone? Like so many players 30 or over who have not been in great form for a long time. Feels really like Yesterday's Men.

I swear he only did that occasionally. In my mind it was like a 70% Thursday 30% Tuesday thing. I especially thought this weekend the thinking would be to keep it more under wraps to keep Ireland on their toes a bit more.

I'm probably remembering that all wrong though.
I think he normally did it when he felt that the opposition were perhaps hampered by injuries and he announced early to express confidence and add a little pressure. Maybe today's early call is to detract from the business with the WRU and get the fans behind the team early. He's hoping for full vocal support from the fans. If so, a good shout IMO.

Bit underwhelmed. Halfpenny starting I am assuming is more down to Liam Williams not being 100%. The pack was largely as predicted, would've liked a surprise or 2 in there and would've preferred Kieran Williams but I'm a fan of Hawkins so interested to see how he does. Surprised Roberts isn't back up hooker.I t
I think Joe Hawkins is going to be a key player for Wales over the next 10 months or so. Quite a clever player.

I think he normally did it when he felt that the opposition were perhaps hampered by injuries and he announced early to express confidence and add a little pressure. Maybe today's early call is to detract from the business with the WRU and get the fans behind the team early. He's hoping for full vocal support from the fans. If so, a good shout IMO.
Yeah that's not a bad shout, could well be.

I think Joe Hawkins is going to be a key player for Wales over the next 10 months or so. Quite a clever player.
Yeah only 20 as well. Interestingly Gatland just said in his press conference that Neil Jenkins thinks he'll end up a 10. I know he started off as a 10 and has a big boot on him but still, interesting. He'd certainly be a big 10 that's for sure.

How many of those players are in for 5-6 year old reputation alone? Like so many players 30 or over who have not been in great form for a long time. Feels really like Yesterday's Men.
Yeah there's a few but to be fair to Gats he had a dig at Pivac for not phasing out these players so I'm sure Gatlands response to you would be to say his hands are tied and he's got to juggle the balancing act between winning games and preparing for the WC.

I think this Ireland game was always going to be about picking the most experienced side and hoping we can **** house a win. I think we'll see him mix it up in other games. He's already said in his press conference today he wants Tips, Reffell and Morgan to battle it out for 7 and have a big 6 who he already name checked as Tshiunza but then back row isn't really the area that applies to picking on reputation alone as he's playing Morgan and Faletau is head and shoulders our best 8. You could make an argument for Tipuric but I'd strongly disagree with that.

The obvious ones are AWJ and Beard and while Ken Owens is old he was arguably our best player in the autumn let alone hooker.

I think we just need to make sure that passionate Welsh side don't build a lead to protect. I reckon we'll try to play at an incredible pace to start like when we were away to NZ, Farrell doesn't let his sides feel their way into away games after Paris last year.

I think we just need to make sure that passionate Welsh side don't build a lead to protect. I reckon we'll try to play at an incredible pace to start like when we were away to NZ, Farrell doesn't let his sides feel their way into away games after Paris last year.
Gatland already said we have to be in the game with 20 mins left and I agree I think you'll look to start strong in that opening 20 shut the crowd up and build up a lead. I'd bite your hand off for a 5 point loss at HT if you offered it. Obviously ideally we are in the lead but I think that's wildly optimistic. Hope we can stay in the game though.

I can understand the starting IV in many ways. A few players picked on reputation (AWJ, North, Halfpenny), but as as you say Exile there needs to be a balance vs such a hardened side like Ireland. Personally I would have liked to see Rhys Davies ahead of AWJ/Beard, he's a big lump who puts himself about and is in great form. I assue Tshiunza must be injured as it's odd that Daf Jenkins is ahead of him given Tshiunza's versatility.

Really happy that Hawkins is there at 12. I love Kieran Williams, but Hawkins' all round game is just what we've needed for a long time - he could be a huge player for us. Would have had Kieran Williams on thr bench though ahead of Cuthbert for impact. Suppose Owen Williams covers 12 too though...

Still don't think Halfpenny offers much, although he's still solid as a rock back there. Still think Adams should be given a run at 15 with thr age/injury profile of our only recognised fullbacks (Halfpenny and Sanjay).

Yeah I think Wales' tactic here is to try smash and grab a few tries and hope that the occasion and experience does the rest. On paper I don't think it's particularly close, but I'll admit I don't know much about Morgan who I gather is a massive prospect or Hawkins who I know even less about bar that he's been good for Ospreys.

It's definitely a banana skin for us right out of the gate. What I do like about Farrell's teams is that they're very capable of just ruthless passionless performances in a way we haven't been in the past.

What Irish spots do we think are up in the air? Not many really. 12, a wing spot (but realistically I think Larmour will miss out to Lowe and Hansen) and 6? For my part I think Aki and O'Mahony probably start.

I can understand the starting IV in many ways. A few players picked on reputation (AWJ, North, Halfpenny), but as as you say Exile there needs to be a balance vs such a hardened side like Ireland. Personally I would have liked to see Rhys Davies ahead of AWJ/Beard, he's a big lump who puts himself about and is in great form. I assue Tshiunza must be injured as it's odd that Daf Jenkins is ahead of him given Tshiunza's versatility.

Really happy that Hawkins is there at 12. I love Kieran Williams, but Hawkins' all round game is just what we've needed for a long time - he could be a huge player for us. Would have had Kieran Williams on thr bench though ahead of Cuthbert for impact. Suppose Owen Williams covers 12 too though...

Still don't think Halfpenny offers much, although he's still solid as a rock back there. Still think Adams should be given a run at 15 with thr age/injury profile of our only recognised fullbacks (Halfpenny and Sanjay).
I think the whole whole Tshiunza thing is just down to the fact that he's not being considered as a 2nd row option so it's not that Daf Jenkins is ahead of him just that Daf Jenkins is in that position. Gatland was saying the plan is for AWJ to empty his tank and come off early in 2nd half so Jenkins will get as much rugby.

Tshiunza could be injured as he did say it wasn't just Liam Williams who had ****les that meant they didn't train last week but I get the impression he wanted Reffell on the bench as back row cover.

Ireland will win this and it won't be close. I think they will overrun that Wales team in the first 20 minutes, get a comfortable lead and then feed off Welsh mistakes as they chase the game. Ireland by 14 points.

I think the whole whole Tshiunza thing is just down to the fact that he's not being considered as a 2nd row option so it's not that Daf Jenkins is ahead of him just that Daf Jenkins is in that position. Gatland was saying the plan is for AWJ to empty his tank and come off early in 2nd half so Jenkins will get as much rugby.

Tshiunza could be injured as he did say it wasn't just Liam Williams who had ****les that meant they didn't train last week but I get the impression he wanted Reffell on the bench as back row cover.
Maybe, but you'd think Tshiunza will be tested in thr row looking ahead to the WC where versatile players are worth their weight in gold.

Maybe, but you'd think Tshiunza will be tested in thr row looking ahead to the WC where versatile players are worth their weight in gold.
You would hope so but I doubt it. I think he's eyeing up both Tshiunza and Rhys Davies for that 6 shirt. I wouldn't mind betting he's been given assurances that Rowlands will be available due to changes to the 60 cap rule. Jesus, he's already mentioned Hill and Ball as potentially coming back (or Hill at least) so I doubt Tshiunza will be tested out in the row. I'm with you though, I'd be starting him there given the talent we have in the back row.

Yeah I think Wales' tactic here is to try smash and grab a few tries and hope that the occasion and experience does the rest. On paper I don't think it's particularly close, but I'll admit I don't know much about Morgan who I gather is a massive prospect or Hawkins who I know even less about bar that he's been good for Ospreys.

It's definitely a banana skin for us right out of the gate. What I do like about Farrell's teams is that they're very capable of just ruthless passionless performances in a way we haven't been in the past.

What Irish spots do we think are up in the air? Not many really. 12, a wing spot (but realistically I think Larmour will miss out to Lowe and Hansen) and 6? For my part I think Aki and O'Mahony probably start.

Porter, Sheehan, Furlong, Ryan, Beirne, POM, VdF, Doris, Fetish, Sexton, Lowe, Aki, Ringer, Hansen, Keenan

Kelleher/Herring, Healy, Binly Feel'em, Henderson, Conan, Murray/Casey, Crowley/Byrne, Jimmy

Very little up for grabs imo.

Jimmy and Lowe switching around is possible considering Lowe hasn't played much rugby due to his compassionate leave to NZ.

Porter, Sheehan, Furlong, Ryan, Beirne, POM, VdF, Doris, Fetish, Sexton, Lowe, Aki, Ringer, Hansen, Keenan

Kelleher/Herring, Healy, Binly Feel'em, Henderson, Conan, Murray/Casey, Crowley/Byrne, Jimmy

Very little up for grabs imo.

Jimmy and Lowe switching around is possible considering Lowe hasn't played much rugby due to his compassionate leave to NZ.
Yeah agree that will be the team. Possibility that Aki being dropped out West hurts him but I doubt it. Has always been good for Farrell. I think Casey and Crowley win those bench spots. If Kelleher is fit I think the 2 jersey becomes a 50/50 to some extent.

Jesus, as suspected Liam Williams wasn't selcted as he didn't train last week due to injury but Halfpenny didn't train today due to a hip issue. He pulled up in training under Pivac. We really are in a right state at 15. Getting silly now.

I honestly think we should make LRZ first choice 15 when he gets back. Doesn't help us against Ireland but we cant go into a WC with Williams and Halfpenny as our 2 Full Back options.

Latest posts