Fat Boi
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Screenshot_20230130_193021.jpg

download (16).jpeg

Looking forward to this even though I'm not expecting a win. I will be a bit disappointed if the team is what I think it will be as I'd rather give a few of the younger boys a go but I'll wait until Thursday when the teams announced.

Did you purge Gatland's previous tenure form your memory?
I swear he only did that occasionally. In my mind it was like a 70% Thursday 30% Tuesday thing. I especially thought this weekend the thinking would be to keep it more under wraps to keep Ireland on their toes a bit more.

I'm probably remembering that all wrong though.

Got a sneaking suspicion he might start Tshiunza. He'll definitely be in the match day squad but reckon he could Chuck him straight in at 6.

I wouldn't be against a 6-2 split on the bench with Webb and Owen Williams being the back subs

Well, shows how much I know. Not even on the bench.

15. Leigh Halfpenny (Scarlets – 97 caps)

14. Josh Adams (Cardiff Rugby – 43 caps)

13. George North (Ospreys – 109 caps)

12. Joe Hawkins (Ospreys – 1 cap)

11. Rio Dyer (Dragons – 3 caps)

10. Dan Biggar (Toulon – 103 caps)

9. Tomos Williams (Cardiff Rugby – 40 caps)

1. Gareth Thomas (Ospreys – 17 caps)

2. Ken Owens (Scarlets – 86 caps) captain

3. Tomas Francis (Ospreys – 67 caps)

4. Adam Beard (Ospreys – 41 caps)

5. Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys – 155 caps)

6. Jac Morgan (Ospreys – 6 caps)

7. Justin Tipuric (Ospreys – 89 caps)

8. Taulupe Faletau (Cardiff Rugby – 95 caps)

Replacements

16. Scott Baldwin (Ospreys – 34 caps)

17. Rhys Carre (Cardiff Rugby – 17 caps)

18. Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Rugby – 45 caps)

19. Dafydd Jenkins (Exeter Chiefs – 1 cap)

20. Tommy Reffell (Leicester Tigers – 4 caps)

21. Rhys Webb (Ospreys – 36 caps)

22. Owen Williams (Ospreys – 3 caps)

23. Alex Cuthbert (Ospreys – 55 caps)

Bit underwhelmed. Halfpenny starting I am assuming is more down to Liam Williams not being 100%. The pack was largely as predicted, would've liked a surprise or 2 in there and would've preferred Kieran Williams but I'm a fan of Hawkins so interested to see how he does. Surprised Roberts isn't back up hooker.

A very Gatland selection
I think for the most part it is but then there's some un-Gatland picks in there as well. Not having a big lump at 6. Both flankers are on the small side. Reffell screams Gatland player but has not picked him to start. Hawkins kinda fits the bill of a Gatland Center as he's big but very inexperienced.

Generally speaking it is which is why I'm a bit underwhelmed. But bench looks good and still hopeful we'll make a good game out of it, though.

Thomas Francis is not an international standard prop. Is there no better tighthead in Wales?
He's really fallen off last couple of years or so. Leon Brown is the one I want to kick on and Dillon Lewis has been one of our most improved players in recent months. So I'd say Francis should be third choice but think he's in there purely for scrummaging.

He's really fallen off last couple of years or so. Leon Brown is the one I want to kick on and Dillon Lewis has been one of our most improved players in recent months. So I'd say Francis should be third choice but think he's in there purely for scrummaging.
I know that when Francis left Exeter and went to Ospreys he shed a ton of weight. Went from around 135kg to about 120. He may well be fitter/more mobile now, but some players are just meant to be fatter and he is one of them.

I know that when Francis left Exeter and went to Ospreys he shed a ton of weight. Went from around 135kg to about 120. He may well be fitter/more mobile now, but some players are just meant to be fatter and he is one of them.
Yeah I don't know what it is. He just doesn't offer much, or anything , around the park. I get his pint of difference is meant to be in the scrum but we need more than that. At least Lewis gets over the ball well. It's like the Beard situation, I get that's Beard is very good at maul defence and calling line outs and what not but should he be in the team on those positives alone? I don't think so. I'd rather have someone who isn't as good at defending mauls but offers a lot more in the loose than Beard. Same goes for Francis. But look, if our scrum holds out or even bests Irelands then it's a good call I guess but we'll have to wait and see. I'm not optimistic. I'd would rathered Lewis starting with Brown on the bench as impact.

WillGriff John's form fell off a cliff after moving to Wales as well - injuries haven't helped, but he looks a shadow of his former self now

WillGriff John's form fell off a cliff after moving to Wales as well - injuries haven't helped, but he looks a shadow of his former self now
Yeah, he hasn't had much luck with injuries to be fair but whenever I watch him I think, that prick TRF Olyy was always banging on about him. Won't listen to you again. Got my hopes up and everything.

Another one who, from what I've heard, was encouraged to lose quite a bit of weight. Went from around 128kg to the same weight as Francis; about 120. Bizarre given that he was in great shape anyway, at least as far as tight heads go.

It's a lasting result of Pivac's desire to play fast, open rugby. The tightheads were all encouraged to lose a load of weight so that they'd be fitter and more mobile, but it was that weight that made them good props in the first place.

Yeah, he hasn't had much luck with injuries to be fair but whenever I watch him I think, that prick TRF Olyy was always banging on about him. Won't listen to you again. Got my hopes up and everything.
Not his fault, he's pining for the fjords*

*manchester shipping canal