• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2023 Six Nations] Wales v Ireland - 5 February 2023

While I get that Pivac should have phased in younger players sooner, I do also think there are a lack of options in certain positions that are causing an issue and there simply aren't the younger players, playing well available. Problem is, the reliance on older players means more chances of injuries.

Personally I don't see Wales getting anywhere near Ireland. They have too many older players not at their best, young players without experience and tbh not even a settled side. Ireland though are well settled and have developed players in the right places.

While I get that Pivac should have phased in younger players sooner, I do also think there are a lack of options in certain positions that are causing an issue and there simply aren't the younger players, playing well available. Problem is, the reliance on older players means more chances of injuries.

Personally I don't see Wales getting anywhere near Ireland. They have too many older players not at their best, young players without experience and tbh not even a settled side. Ireland though are well settled and have developed players in the right places.
I won't lie, I'm loving reading all this we wont come close to Ireland as I know we're so much better when totally written off.

Don't get me wrong, on paper we deserve it but in Cardiff, first game of 6N when Ireland might be a bit undercooked and Gatland G-ing the boys up I'm quietly confident we can get something out of this. I'm expecting us to make it tough for Ireland for the first hour hopefully and if it plays out like that then it's anyone's game in the last 20.

I won't lie, I'm loving reading all this we wont come close to Ireland as I know we're so much better when totally written off.

Don't get me wrong, on paper we deserve it but in Cardiff, first game of 6N when Ireland might be a bit undercooked and Gatland G-ing the boys up I'm quietly confident we can get something out of this. I'm expecting us to make it tough for Ireland for the first hour hopefully and if it plays out like that then it's anyone's game in the last 20.
That's fair enough. However, personally if Wales get close it's because they've upped their game a bit and Ireland will have fallen right off. I know international rugby is fine margins, but Ireland and France have been on a different level to the rest of the 6 Nations sides and will need a big drop to even things up.

That's fair enough. However, personally if Wales get close it's because they've upped their game a bit and Ireland will have fallen right off. I know international rugby is fine margins, but Ireland and France have been on a different level to the rest of the 6 Nations sides and will need a big drop to even things up.
Agree that Ireland and France have been on a different level but we've also been performing way below what we're capable of under Pivac.

Also, Wales raising their game is par for the course. It's what we do (except under Pivac) and with Gatland back, Ireland being hopefully a bit undercooked it could serve us well. We also love a bit of off field drama going on as well which I'm sure Gatland will use to get the players up for it.

The other thing that will help us is the total lack of pressure on us to win this game whether Ireland are expected to sweep us aside and win the GS. All that will be expected of the Welsh players is to leave everything out on them pitch and to front up. Plus I'm hoping this Sale defence coach works his magic as well.

I've not been drinking this morning. Promise.

Screenshot_2023-02-01-11-07-18-96_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

:eek: you don't ******* say!!!

Possible Ireland team (v Wales):

15. Hugo Keenan
14. Mack Hansen
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Stuart McCloskey
11. James Lowe
10. Johnny Sexton (captain)
9. Jamison Gibson-Park
1. Andrew Porter
2. Dan Sheehan
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. Tadhg Beirne
5. James Ryan
6. Peter O'Mahony
7. Josh van der Flier
8. Caelan Doris

These are generally always accurate. I am not sure about starting McCloskey, but hope he goes well obviously.

15. Hugo Keenan
14. Mack Hansen
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Stuart McCloskey
11. James Lowe
9. Jamison Gibson-Park
1. Andrew Porter
2. Dan Sheehan
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. Tadhg Beirne
5. James Ryan
6. Peter O'Mahony
7. Josh van der Flier
8. Caelan Doris

These are generally always accurate. I am not sure about starting McCloskey, but hope he goes well obviously.
They've often been a player or two off since Faz took over. I still think Aki is more likely to start. Will know soon enough.

They've often been a player or two off since Faz took over. I still think Aki is more likely to start. Will know soon enough.
I think calling McCloskey is a big swing. I think Farrell gives less access to training sessions than Schmidt did, but if they saw McCloskey consistently running with the 1s, I think it's likely he's the guy

Surely a bit of a no-brainer given Aki's lack of game time.
Yes and no. No game time is an issue, but I would still trust Aki more than McCloskey to be honest. He's always been good for us, esp in the Autumn and Farrell doesn't always pick according to Provincial pecking order. Aki is fully fit, for me he starts.

15. Hugo Keenan
14. Mack Hansen
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Stuart McCloskey
11. James Lowe
9. Jamison Gibson-Park
1. Andrew Porter
2. Dan Sheehan
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. Tadhg Beirne
5. James Ryan
6. Peter O'Mahony
7. Josh van der Flier
8. Caelan Doris

Even despite Ulster's poor form recently, McCloskey has been really pretty good

Last few years his distribution has really grown, he's been using his size much more effectively in the tackle (he never used to, it was slightly perplexing), and his footwork into contact is soo good. Plus he's added a knack for poaching at the breakdown, I think he's been really good, and looked very effective recently, Especially against South Africa but i other games too, so yeah based on Aki's lack of game time, I think he's totally earned his chance to stake a claim

Halfpenny out, Liam Williams in
Did make me laugh when, in the article about Williams not being selected, Gatland said "Williams wasn't picked because he's injured, but Halfpenny is also injured so he still might make the squad"

Halfpenny out, Liam Williams in
Did make me laugh when, in the article about Williams not being selected, Gatland said "Williams wasn't picked because he's injured, but Halfpenny is also injured so he still might make the squad"
Yeah he really telegraphed this 4D chess move in the press.

Can't really argue much on Irish team.
Team effectively picked itself. Furlong is out so it great to develop depth there with Bealham getting another start. And he is 1 guy really in superb form.
On bench it's a bit more meh.

Frontrow I'd worry if Bealham goes down early but wonder would Healy be TH prop if that was a scenario. Tom O Toole isn't international level.
Henderson is a great man to bring in.
Conan has responded well to competition lately but think Coombes and Baird are ahead of him but still splitting hair it isn't as if Conan awful.
Murray and Ross Byrne are both correct calls. Murray is effective for Ireland off bench and if it latter stages and we defending he is man I'd want.
Byrne is in good form and well it like this if we chasing game I'd prefer Crowley but that is mystic meg. As the basic skills of 10 eg kicking game keeping it simple Ross is the right call.
Which leaves me to 23. Bit worried on Aki for few reasons. We left bare in back 3 if an injury happens. I agree Aki rarely lets Ireland down. Worry is he has little to no game time and if any of back 3 go down I presume Ringrose is cover. That is not good for few reasons.
1. Lowe/Mack are not 15s so shouldn't be even considered slotting there.
2. Ross Byrne is not a 15 and will not work there.
3. More importantly Ringrose is vital at centre.

Osbourne may have been better choice to go with Byrne. Aki is ok if Jack Crowley was on bench.

Hansen has had some games at 15 for Connacht this year and seems very eager to play there
Yes but is not an international 15 in an arena where we need that covered. Jimmy O'Brien is the other one I should have mentioned in the conversation

Latest posts