• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2023 Six Nations] Wales vs England - 25 February 2023

Knowing the welsh, they will use this as a rallying cry and put everything they have into this England game. The only game they'll play well this 6 nations will be this one.

Interesting to see if Ford is picked up Smith and what happens to our midfield. I'll be very disappointed if we revert back to two fly halves.

I expect their to be a Welsh backlash this weekend too.

Tbh the players should do what they need to do if that includes striking then so be it. What is going on is appalling, not knowing what their income is going to be and if they'll even have a contract in a few months just isn't good enough.

Knowing the welsh, they will use this as a rallying cry and put everything they have into this England game. The only game they'll play well this 6 nations will be this one.

Their build up has been disrupted, minds have been elsewhere. The adrenaline and emotion might carry them through 20 minutes, possibly to half time. But you can't win matches on that any more.

Wales are a mix of Dads Army and the untested. Returning coaches are also seldom a good idea either (BTW I read that his deal is worth £2m……?). They've been pretty hapless in their 2 games so far. Even though Eng are a work in progress and it's in Cardiff we should still be very disappointed to lose this.

The way things are going for Wal at the moment it will probably get postponed on health and safety grounds when the roof gets stuck half way open.

England -5 looks like the only poorly set handicap of the weekend. If the game goes ahead I can't see it not being two score winning margin for England.

Don't see how Wales get any better under current conditions.

Their build up has been disrupted, minds have been elsewhere. The adrenaline and emotion might carry them through 20 minutes, possibly to half time. But you can't win matches on that any more.

Wales are a mix of Dads Army and the untested. Returning coaches are also seldom a good idea either (BTW I read that his deal is worth £2m……?). They've been pretty hapless in their 2 games so far. Even though Eng are a work in progress and it's in Cardiff we should still be very disappointed to lose this.

The way things are going for Wal at the moment it will probably get postponed on health and safety grounds when the roof gets stuck half way open.
This is the kind of backs to the wall / seige mentality that Gatland thrives on and the game will be closer than people expect. I think he'll pick a couple more young uns and he'll have them fired up to perform. Rugby fans in general are supporting the player's stance so in some ways Gats is in a no lose situation.

This is the kind of backs to the wall / seige mentality that Gatland thrives on and the game will be closer than people expect. I think he'll pick a couple more young uns and he'll have them fired up to perform. Rugby fans in general are supporting the player's stance so in some ways Gats is in a no lose situation.

We'll have to see I guess. If there can be different types of unity, us against the rest of the world feels a bit different to the blue on blue infighting that we're seeing.

And while the players have presented a united front in public, you can bet your bottom dollar that some feel much more strongly or are being more impacted than others and who knows how that will effect performance? AWJ for example will be seeing this as a point of principle but he's unlikely to be **** scared about paying his mortgage in the summer.

Usually I'd agree with people saying we'd use this to build a siege mentality and get fired up etc etc but I do feel this is different from issues we've faced in previous years. That and the fact we're clearly a team in transition. If the game goes ahead I expect some emotion but ultimately I can't see that carrying us through to get a result. The only way I see that happening, and I guess this isn't beyond the realms of possibility seeing as England are also a team who are struggling a bit, is if England have a nightmare game and we capitalise on it. Sadly I see a 15 point plus loss on the cards. If they can keep it within a score I think that will be very impressive given what they have on their minds at the moment.

We'll have to see I guess. If there can be different types of unity, us against the rest of the world feels a bit different to the blue on blue infighting that we're seeing.

And while the players have presented a united front in public, you can bet your bottom dollar that some feel much more strongly or are being more impacted than others and who knows how that will effect performance? AWJ for example will be seeing this as a point of principle but he's unlikely to be **** scared about paying his mortgage in the summer.
All fair points. It can't be easy for the players, especially the younger ones, so Saturday probably can't come quickly enough for them.

Regardless of circumstances I'm still not writing Wales off, they will always significantly raise their game vs us

I think we should be targeting a good win considering the off (and on) field issues, but expect a fired up side

Ha ha. Nope, team news has been cancelled amid strike talks still being a real possibility. Gatland press conference still going ahead but no team news.

I don't see how they don't strike to be honest. I mean, the players could cave but I can't see them conceding the 80% guaranteed pay in the new contracts and I can't see the players accepting that, even if the other 2 demands are met. How is that getting resolved in the next 24 hours.

Training this afternoon cancelled. Players been in back to back meetings last day or 2. Sounds like ideal prep.

The press conference was a big nothing burger really.

Confirmed team announcement delayed due to everything going on. When they have trained the players have trained well considering everything. Gatland confident game will go ahead after conversations with people today. Players have more discussions today and said a compromise needs to be reached, players accept cuts have to be made but have always insisted this isn't about money. Players will be back Thursday which I assume means no training tomorrow but not sure on that.

Basically we're screwed but Gatland is playing his hand well here. Sticking up for the players but acting as a good middle man. Says he doesn't regret coming back but didn't know the extent of the mess as players were given assurances this was all sorted.

A few commentators noting the feeling of ill will between AWJ and Gats at the last press conference. That some players see him as on the side of the WRU he has a decent and well paid contract with no impacts on him.

Duty rumour on another forum that players might walk out after the national anthem. I call BS as I don't think they would screw over the fans that way. They would lose all and any good will.

Yeah that is total BS for the exact reason you stated. They'll lose a majority of support they've currently got from the public

I can believe the stuff about potential il will towards Gatland as it's been reported the players feel hard done by that they're the only ones taking the financial hit when the coaches and board members don't appear to be and when you read things like Gats being in £2 mil on a short term deal it might **** you off a bit.

Gatland definitely seems more on the side of the WRU than the players from all the things he's said, but then the WRU are the ones paying his bills and if comes out and says "Yep, they should strike, the WRU are arseholes" his contract might be on a one way trip to the shredder

Gatland definitely seems more on the side of the WRU than the players from all the things he's said, but then the WRU are the ones paying his bills and if comes out and says "Yep, they should strike, the WRU are arseholes" his contract might be on a one way trip to the shredder
Perennial manager issue in labour disputes,

Latest posts