English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Screenshot 2023-02-20 at 09.42.17.png

If the Welsh do go on strike I'd love to see us reprise the Scottish football team in Estonia in 1996 and kick off against no-one to claim the result.

"There's only one team in Tallinn" from the Scottish fans was the most accurate terrace chant ever.

Do London Welsh still exist in any form?
Maybe invite them down for a training session that just happens to take the form of 2 sets of 40 minutes

Last edited:
In all seriousness, I have no idea what's going to happen with this weekend - by all accounts what the WRU are offering is way wide of the demands that have been set, and they're definitely pig-headed enough to try and bludgeon the players into submission....but if the players stick to their guns and do go on strike then losing the England game will be catastrophic for the WRU, I imagine it's one of, if not the, biggest earner in their calendar. Genuinely could be enough to sink the organisation with the margins pro rugby runs on

In all seriousness, I have no idea what's going to happen with this weekend - by all accounts what the WRU are offering is way wide of the demands that have been set, and they're definitely pig-headed enough to try and bludgeon the players into submission....but if the players stick to their guns and do go on strike then losing the England game will be catastrophic for the WRU, I imagine it's one of, if not the, biggest earner in their calendar. Genuinely could be enough to sink the organisation with the margins pro rugby runs on

I can't see a strike going ahead or being any form of win for the players for exactly that reason. It's a big threat but losing all that revenue can surely only be more damaging to the very players whose futures are already threatened? Presumably cancellation insurance wouldn't cover industrial action.

I can't see a strike going ahead or being any form of win for the players for exactly that reason. It's a big threat but losing all that revenue can surely only be more damaging to the very players whose futures are already threatened? Presumably cancellation insurance wouldn't cover industrial action.
Let's compare war doctrine of three quarters of a century ago to now.

If Wales do strike it'd be an appropriate opportunity for the Georgian, Spanish, Portuguese and Romanian unions to shriek like banshees for a 10 team comp. (Or 8 team with preliminary playoffs for "non-traditional" sides).

It's something I've always been against, mostly because I value the triple crown as a big deal and it couldn't be guaranteed with a two pool format. But I can't even justify that now, the professional game is barely surviving in a country where its the national sport, we need to grow it to enthusiastic unions.

If Wales do strike it'd be an appropriate opportunity for the Georgian, Spanish, Portuguese and Romanian unions to shriek like banshees for a 10 team comp. (Or 8 team with preliminary playoffs for "non-traditional" sides).

It's something I've always been against, mostly because I value the triple crown as a big deal and it couldn't be guaranteed with a two pool format. But I can't even justify that now, the professional game is barely surviving in a country where its the national sport, we need to grow it to enthusiastic unions.
This should be a 4 yr event during AI dates, instead of traditional fixtures.
A sort of European Champs.
10 teams in 2 groups of 5 with semi finals and finals.
Would also replace the summer tours.

They could threaten to strike for this game, with the real intent of playing this game and refusing to travel to Italy. Make the WRU sweat, get them the revenue of this massive game and refuse to play vs italy.

Especially if England win then rufusing to go to italy essencially means finishing last in the 6N on zero points which would be a massive F you to the WRU.

From listening to scrum V it seems the contact issues is never going to be resolved by Wednesday. The Wru, regions and players are also still in disagreement over the 60 cap rule. Players want it gone, some regions down to 20 - 30 caps. Wru in the region of 25 caps. The regions distrust the WRU as they think they want one to fold and go down to three. So as it stands some of the English based players might still need to go back to a region if it's 30 caps etc on less money.

It was also discussed that if it's a threat not followed through with, it then significantly reduces any future leverage and the WRU might be playing who blinks first.

If the Welsh do go on strike I'd love to see us reprise the Scottish football team in Estonia in 1996 and kick off against no-one to claim the result.

"There's only one team in Tallinn" from the Scottish fans was the most accurate terrace chant ever.
then play it in some random place in june

Knowing the welsh, they will use this as a rallying cry and put everything they have into this England game. The only game they'll play well this 6 nations will be this one.

Interesting to see if Ford is picked up Smith and what happens to our midfield. I'll be very disappointed if we revert back to two fly halves.

Getting to the stage where players won't want to play in case they get seriously injured and left out to dry.

Look at Jack Dixon last week.

Guy has a two year old and a pregnant wife and if the injury is serious enough he won't be offered a new contract.

I think if the players have threatened to strike then they have to do it because otherwise they won't be taken seriously. Striking the Wales game, while bringing negative publicity, won't actually hurt the WRU that much. Only the England game will actually force their hand.

Latest posts