• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2027 Squads

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Thought it'd be interesting to see what pundits see their country's 2027 squad might look like while we wait for the weekend?

South Africa 33 for me
(I've cut out forwards who'd be over 34 and backs over 32 just as a cut off point that makes sense to my mind)

Props (5)
Kitshoff (35) / Nche (32) / Thomas du Toit (32) / Wilco Louw (33) / Mchunu (27)

Hooker (3)
Marx (33) / Grobbelaar (29) / Dweba (31)

Lock (4)
Etzebeth (35) / Snyman (32) / Dan Du Plessis (32) / R Nortje (29)

Loose Forward (6)
Smith (34) / Van Staden (32) / JL Du Plessis (33) / Wiese (31) / Roos (27) / Louw (28)

Halves (5)
Jaden Hendrikse (27) / Williams (31) / Pollard (33) / Libbok (30) / Jordan Hendrikse (26)

Centers (4)
Moodie (24) / Van Wyk (26) / Feinberg-Mngomezulu (25) / Julius (23)

Outside Backs (6)
Willemse (29) / Gelant (32) / Arendse (31) / Fassi (29) / Davids (28) / Kolbe (33)

Very tempted to increase my dealine for backs. Am, Esterhuizen, Kriel all 33 in 2027. I've only allowed myself some leeway for Pollard, Kolbe, Etzebeth and Kitshoff.

Average age 30.06 yo. as opposed to the current 33 man squad @ 29.96. So only an increase of a month or so.

Last edited:
Applying your criteria (32/34 age limit) for other teams, the one to suffer most seem to be Wales and Scotland:

Halfpenny, Biggar, Faletau, Lydiate, L. Williams, Anscombe, H. Thomas, North and Francis won't be there anymore.

Same with Scotland with Nel, Gray, McInally, Gilchrist, Harris, Watson, Russell, Price and H. Jones.

Both unions will struggle most imo to replace those players. (Although some of them still might be in the boat in 2027, North for example)

South Africa 33 for me
(I've cut out forwards who'd be over 34 and backs over 32 just as a cut off point that makes sense to my mind)

Props (5)
Kitshoff (35) / Nche (32) / Thomas du Toit (32) / Wilco Louw (33) / Mchunu (27)

Hooker (3)
Marx (33) / Grobbelaar (29) / Dweba (31)

Lock (4)
Etzebeth (35) / Snyman (32) / Dan Du Plessis (32) / R Nortje (29)

Loose Forward (6)
Smith (34) / Van Staden (32) / JL Du Plessis (33) / Wiese (31) / Roos (27) / Louw (28)

Halves (5)
Jaden Hendrikse (27) / Williams (31) / Pollard (33) / Libbok (30) / Jordan Hendrikse (26)

Centers (4)
Moodie (24) / Van Wyk (26) / Feinberg-Mngomezulu (25) / Julius (23)

Outside Backs (6)
Willemse (29) / Gelant (32) / Arendse (31) / Fassi (29) / Davids (28) / Kolbe (33)

Very tempted to increase my dealine for backs. Am, Esterhuizen, Kriel all 33 in 2027. I've only allowed myself some leeway for Pollard, Kolbe, Etzebeth and Kitshoff.

Average age 30.06 yo. as opposed to the current 33 man squad @ 29.96. So only an increase of a month or so.

I think Lood De Jager will want to go to 2027 and he is a year younger than Eben.
I also wonder if Am/Kriel and Esterhuizen will want to play in 2027 as they will be 33/34

Players seem to be fitter these days and can go longer.

Ok for me I'm going with
Loosehead: Genge (32), Rodd (27) (Baxter)
Hooker: Dan (26), Frost (30), Langdon (30) (Riley)
Tighthead: Stuart (31), Heyes (28), Harper (27) (Fasogbon)
Locks: Martin (26), Chessum (27), Itoje (32), Isiekwe (29) (Lewis Chessum)
Back row: Curry (29), Earl (29), Pearson (27), Mercer (30), Tom Willis (29), Jack Willis (30) (Ilione or CCS)
Scrum Half: Mitchell (30), Quirke (26), JVP (26) (Bracken)
Fly half: Marcus Smith (28), Barton (26) (Bailey)
Centre: Kelly (26), Lawrence (24), Marchant (31), Joseph (25) (Woodward)
Outside back: Steward (26), Arundell (24), Loader (28), OHC (24), Hodge (27), Murley (28) (Cleaves)

Put some potential bolters in brackets

Applying your criteria (32/34 age limit) for other teams, the one to suffer most seem to be Wales and Scotland:

Halfpenny, Biggar, Faletau, Lydiate, L. Williams, Anscombe, H. Thomas, North and Francis won't be there anymore.

Same with Scotland with Nel, Gray, McInally, Gilchrist, Harris, Watson, Russell, Price and H. Jones.

Both unions will struggle most imo to replace those players. (Although some of them still might be in the boat in 2027, North for example)
Losing 3/4 of those players will hurt, but come on, Halfpenny, Lydiate, Anscombe, Thomas shouldnt have been in this squad lol.

We desperately need a 10, ball carrying 8, a tight head and fullback though. Regions not producing has been bad this cycle, but we have no choice next cycle. Cardiff for example played an all Welsh (except for 3 players) squad yesterday, including 15 academy product, 10 being under 23.

I expect this young Welsh side to struggle for a few years, but to grow into year 3 (with the right direction) and become competitive.

What's the rules on Wales selection now?
Is Reffell expected go to a welsh region now? What can Wales do in terms of selecting the Exeter welsh players?

Honestly in the prem Wales have loads of good players who are in the prem. Next season is prob a good time at trying to get the players who are welsh qualified but Borthwick doesn't want.

Bristol hooker Will Capon is very promising IMO would like England to look at him, would be good depth behind Lake.
Iwan Stephens and Immanuel Feyi-Waboso a couple others

What's the rules on Wales selection now?
Is Reffell expected go to a welsh region now? What can Wales do in terms of selecting the Exeter welsh players?

Honestly in the prem Wales have loads of good players who are in the prem. Next season is prob a good time at trying to get the players who are welsh qualified but Borthwick doesn't want.

Bristol hooker Will Capon is very promising IMO would like England to look at him, would be good depth behind Lake.
Iwan Stephens and Immanuel Feyi-Waboso a couple others
25 caps, Reffell has maybe 10 or so? He will struggle on contract negotiations without returning to Wales.

Same with Jenkins and Tshiunsa.

Wales are going to have to get creative in recruiting, maybe we should look for a back door entrance to Island talent like France have done lol

Ok for me I'm going with
Loosehead: Genge (32), Rodd (27) (Baxter)
Hooker: Dan (26), Frost (30), Langdon (30) (Riley)
Tighthead: Stuart (31), Heyes (28), Harper (27) (Fasogbon)
Locks: Martin (26), Chessum (27), Itoje (32), Isiekwe (29) (Lewis Chessum)
Back row: Curry (29), Earl (29), Pearson (27), Mercer (30), Tom Willis (29), Jack Willis (30) (Ilione or CCS)
Scrum Half: Mitchell (30), Quirke (26), JVP (26) (Bracken)
Fly half: Marcus Smith (28), Barton (26) (Bailey)
Centre: Kelly (26), Lawrence (24), Marchant (31), Joseph (25) (Woodward)
Outside back: Steward (26), Arundell (24), Loader (28), OHC (24), Hodge (27), Murley (28) (Cleaves)

Put some potential bolters in brackets
I'm surprised Curry is so young. That does look like a good average age. Only thing that I'd change is Ben Loader is South African now. Once you come to the Cape you will find leaving difficult and will fit right in with what the Stormers want. And we will need to find more arrows like for the Bok bow if bloody Steward is going to be around for the forseeable future oy vey!

For Scotland, I think we are ok for the 2nd rowers there is a bit of depth here and there is a young chap by the name of Henderson who is in the sights of the international team. I think Russell will still be around at the next WC or very close to it, Healy will probably be the main man by then though.

Some new props and a bigger carrying 4/5/8 would be particualrly nice to have.

How many teams actually seem to have good proper trophy challenging squads coming through. Feels like only South Africa, New Zealand, France and Ireland?

Latest posts