• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

22 October 2016 v Australia, Eden Park, Auckland

The Jones Boy

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
Now in recent times I have thought the opposition would be harder to beat than the end game scoreline would suggest.
So you would expect me to jump on the bandwagon and predict some outlandish result in favour of my beloved AB's, however, with the unbeaten record beckoning, the increased tension and my long memory of false dawns for the Baby Blacks in 86, RWC's in 91, 95, 99, 03 and 07 I am still won't to predict a big win even at the hallowed halls of the garden of Eden.
AB's to win by 8

Yeah the last 2 times we have been on the verge of the record we have been pipped, last time been an 18 all draw vs Aus?

We should win but this will be a mental hurdle as well as a physical hurdle, and Aus will want to stop us getting that record no doubt, will be hard but AB's by 10-15.

This reminds me of the one song from The Corrs called Runaway. :D
It will be murder on Australia.

Now in recent times I have thought the opposition would be harder to beat than the end game scoreline would suggest.
So you would expect me to jump on the bandwagon and predict some outlandish result in favour of my beloved AB's, however, with the unbeaten record beckoning, the increased tension and my long memory of false dawns for the Baby Blacks in 86, RWC's in 91, 95, 99, 03 and 07 I am still won't to predict a big win even at the hallowed halls of the garden of Eden.
AB's to win by 8

Surprised with your endless terrible doomsday predictions that you haven't just given up by now.

I don't think there is a middle ground for the ABs here. They either keep winning every game by 16+, or they get rattled and don't recover, opening the floodgates the other way - lose by 7+.

The former is far more likely, but the latter is also realistic.

We already saw them start to lose their nerve in Argentina

Last edited:
All Blacks by +25. I just can't see Australia mounting any kind of challenge.

I think they will field their strongest side and go for a big win. Aren't they more likely to field slightly more experimental sides during the AI in Europe?

I think they will field their strongest side and go for a big win. Aren't they more likely to field slightly more experimental sides during the AI in Europe?

I'd have thought the week after beating the Boks 9 tries to 0 is as good a time as any to try a bit of experimentation.

I'd have thought the week after beating the Boks 9 tries to 0 is as good a time as any to try a bit of experimentation.

Can't see it. I think they'll put their top side out, so basically what they fielded against SA with Smith and potentially Cane and Savea back too.

If it were in Australia, I'd be saying All Blacks by 7. But it's at Eden Park. All Blacks by 20+.

Can't see it. I think they'll put their top side out, so basically what they fielded against SA with Smith and potentially Cane and Savea back too.

Is Smith returning? I know he's allowed to, but is he may be sorting things out with the family, partner etc. Unless I missed that he's back with the squad in which case ignore me.

The AB's are currently sitting on a 17 match winning streak, which is equal with the professional-era-T1 record (Boks 97-98).

Compared to the silverware on offer the next year or two, bringing *that* record to NZ is quite high on the agenda I'd imagine. Not the time to use a gamble. If they fluff this one, they can forget about that record until the looming RWC 2019 takes the spotlight anyway.

For Australia, their opportunity is to be the first team to win at Eden Park since France in 1994 - That would be the first AB loss at NZ's biggest stadium in ALB's entire life!
(this is the 37th match since)

Whichever way this game goes, expect a major headline the next morning.

Last edited:
I don't think there is a middle ground for the ABs here. They either keep winning every game by 16+, or they get rattled and don't recover, opening the floodgates the other way - lose by 7+.

The former is far more likely, but the latter is also realistic.

We already saw them start to lose their nerve in Argentina

There's enough experienced players who in the last 6 years have been part of AB teams that have won games after the 80min and closed out tight affairs. Whilst they have not been tested that way this year, doesn't mean ABs cannot find other ways to win.

There's enough experienced players who in the last 6 years have been part of AB teams that have won games after the 80min and closed out tight affairs. Whilst they have not been tested that way this year, doesn't mean ABs cannot find other ways to win.

Let's hope there's a couple of them with a good memory on the bench, ready to plug the gap at 50' should things go that way. And that the team has the discipline to avoid yellow cards this time.

Thats what I thought too. But I think v Australia they'll go for the record and they'll take it further in Europe with possibly more experimental sides.
They have capped for the first time in RC Anton Lienert-Brown who is now playing like he's always been in the jersey. How much room do they have for handing over new caps in Europe?

Last edited:
Can't see too much variation from the last couple of tests.

Cane back if hes fit.

Smith at halfback if hes available, while TJP has been awesome we know how Hansen feels about been loyal.

Can't see too much apart from that, maybe the makeup of the bench might depends on who starts.

Lets be honest, this record is important to the AB's regardless of what they say, been on the cusp of twice breaking it and failing each time, its about mentality proving to themselves they can do it.

I think of all the sides around Australia are the least worst equipped to beat NZ.

Let's not forget that the teams that play NZ more regularly are the ones more likely to beat them.

Ireland are playing NZ twice next November which I think is interesting because they're giving themselves a better chance.

It's good to hear Eddie Jones say he wants knock NZ off their pedestal. But England's problem is they don't play NZ nowhere near enough to overtake them.

Last edited:
Can't see too much variation from the last couple of tests.

Cane back if hes fit.

Smith at halfback if hes available, while TJP has been awesome we know how Hansen feels about been loyal.

Can't see too much apart from that, maybe the makeup of the bench might depends on who starts.

Lets be honest, this record is important to the AB's regardless of what they say, been on the cusp of twice breaking it and failing each time, its about mentality proving to themselves they can do it.

I dont think you will see Smith until Chicago, media scrutiny will be far less in the US which will reduce the pressure on him.

He cant really afford a bad game at home right now.

I think of all the sides around Australia are the least worst equipped to beat NZ.

Let's not forget that the teams that play NZ more regularly are the ones more likely to beat them.

Ireland are playing NZ twice next November which I think is interesting because they're giving themselves a better chance.

It's good to hear Eddie Jones say he wants knock NZ off their pedestal. But England's problem is they don't play NZ nowhere near enough to overtake them.

Really?
When havent we heard the English spout on about beating the AB's, Jones's problem is that the game is damn near two years away and the depth of world rugby is not that great, we have no idea what condition England or the All Blacks will be in by the time it rolls around.

Eddie Jones should follow some old advice and "Don't tell me, show me" because at the moment he is just a loud mouth who's claim to fame is getting the Japanese to beat a struggling South African team and running the risk of becoming an embarassing loud mouth.

I sincerly doubt the AB's will remain unbeaten until 2018 so that Eddie Jones can spring his master plan which means at best he will be will still only be 2nd to have found the key.

Last edited:

Latest posts