• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2nd row scrum binding question

Webby_66

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Around 20 years ago I played good level rugby (Army Corps) as a second row. 20 years lof office wallowing later (I'm 49 now) and I'm in training to get fit and powerful enough to play again. In fact I went to training last month and the coach thought there is a good chance of me playing again for a national division German club (I live in Germany).

However.. a LOT has changed. Scrum engagement etc. I'm now not sure about the modern second row scrummaging position. In my "day" it was both locks bind each other around the waist and squeeze tight at the waistband with inside arms. Now I THINK it is taught that one 2nd binds on the waisband and the other reaches around and bind about chest height. regarding the outside arm.. in my day you'd reach between the legs grab high(ish) to the props shirt so you can keep him down. Now I'm hearing you go between the legs but grab the waistband. I have no problem changing binding but is this really the right way nowadays? (one 2nd row waistband and other chest + between the legs grabbing waistband.).
Any advice appreciated.
Alan

I do the same thing you described, the first lock will reach a round and basically grab the armpit of the other's jersey, then the other will reach over and grab waistband or maybe jersey. Who does what tend to be whatever is most comfortable based on heights, on my team anyway.

For the prop bind, I usually ask (well I've learned by now) how each of my props want me to bind. One guy likes jersey, one likes shorts, one I reach across and grab his pocket on his shorts.

Latest posts