• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2nd Test: South Africa v Lions

The thing with Burger is that he never takes it slow, whether he's been off injured or not. He's going be hitting rucks hard & pretty much anything else that moves. My real concern lies with Danie Rousouw, He's not quick enough to come on as a flanker especially not a fetcher/flanker. I would rather see brussow & Kankowski on the bench than him in dry conditions.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jun 24 2009, 11:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Jun 25 2009, 02:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While we are on the subject of wingers. Habana overrated or not? I think he is well overrated.[/b]
I missed the Williams love/hate exchange, so I hope this one turns in to an epic twenty-reply running battle.

Are you f***ing crazy? Habana is the best f***ing winger of all time. You f***ing numpty. Typical English f***ing bias.

p.s. Brussow was very good last week - not just the try, dealt really well with pressure. Anyone guess the tactical reason for starting with Burger?
[/b][/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well well well

Chill out guyzz do not engage

Shtove I think your fears are absolutely correct

Welsh and Ireland posters are warming up about their guyz to play for a start team :lol: :lol: ;)

You know if this applies to you, if not, take with a grain of salt.

I've been really torn watching this British Lions tour. Really I have. I used to support the Lions (even in NZ, I couldn't of brought myself to feel bad, even if we had lost) whereever they go and still do to a certain extent. I was trying to ask myself this morning why I supported the lions like a maniac, loving them in South Africa 97' and just as much if not more in Australia '03, but now find it harder.

The answer came to me finally. It's actually TRF thats done it to me. I like TRF, no doubt and aren't saying I have a problem with it. It's really just some of the fans from the nations which make up the Lions. To me there just seems to be such in-fighting, bickering, putting down of each other and any other team. Nearly every member posting for THEIR OWN nations players to make the cut. Also, such an ability to give little or no credit to your hosts, the South Africans. A feeling, that seems to pervade everything, of wanting to win, not out of such pride in your team, bound together for each other as well as individual nations, but out of wanting to be able to look down on a southern hemisphere team. To gloat if anything.

I tend to find generally that this isn't a SH/NH thing. I tend to find that the Scottish, French and most of the Welsh seem to be able to give credit when it's due and of course, scorn when it's also due to the nations from down here. Maybe it's something to do with how fiercely strong in opinion some of the Irish and English fans are on this site (and it's not all of them), maybe it's partly due to their own combative nature as members, but whatever the cause, it's really hard to support the Lions like I used to.

For example there was the furore which started between the French and the NZ'ers recently. It was largely discussing the issues and then at the end of it a very friendly mutually agreeing nature. We took our hats off to their performance and lamented some of our idiots over here. By and large they did the same. The only voice telling all of NZ as a nation to hang it's head in shame, was an English member. As I said, maybe it's just some of the personalities that have signed up here.

There is a tremendous respect between New Zealand and South Africa. We know how to acknowledge each others strengths and more often than not hold each other in admiration.

As a New Zealand fan on this site, I stopped feeling any I mean ANY admiration for New Zealand, South Africa, or Australia from the members up there and stopped posting for a long time. Mainly only posting in off-topic or other threads. I felt this forum was becoming a Northern Hemisphere brag-box. Then I recently came to realise it wasn't all nations up there and just some of the fans.

Still it's had it's effect. All I can hope now is that this series is a 3-0 series win to South Africa and it guts me. We down here still so desperately need to prove ourselves to you guys in the NH and win this well, to maybe just maybe finally get a little credit. We know we have good rugby nations down here, but self-praise is no praise, so as nations down here we have to win and win well. Hell, I've gotten to the stage of hoping Australia win against all but France and Scotland up there! And I love upsets! Whats that tell you?

So, go South Africa, do it even better this time, boys!

I used to be a fan of this once in four years wonder. I really, really sincerely was.

So you dont like the Irish because of what I said in one thread (AND I WAS AGREEING WITH YOU ALL THE WAY!). And you dont like the English because of what Mite said in same (or similar thread).

Given the fact that you were saying you shouldnt tarnish a nation based on the actions of a minority, this entire post is seriously funny, and TOTALLY hypocritical.

Its the internet, relax, were meant to be annoying.

Oh, and your avatar is probably one of the funniest moments in a movie I've ever seen. I remember snorting coke (the cola variety) out my nose in a cinema when he did that. Didnt impress the woman I was with, but still makes me laugh.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Jun 25 2009, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So you dont like the Irish because of what I said in one thread (AND I WAS AGREEING WITH YOU ALL THE WAY!). And you dont like the English because of what Mite said in same (or similar thread).

Given the fact that you were saying you shouldnt tarnish a nation based on the actions of a minority, this entire post is seriously funny, and TOTALLY hypocritical.

Its the internet, relax, were meant to be annoying.

Oh, and your avatar is probably one of the funniest moments in a movie I've ever seen. I remember snorting coke (the cola variety) out my nose in a cinema when he did that. Didnt impress the woman I was with, but still makes me laugh.[/b]

No, I'm not tarnishing a whole nation because of the actions of a couple of people. I never said they were bad nations or bad as a people. I was just saying that people of "this forum" tend to have influenced me away from supporting a team I used to support. Partly due to their in-fighting with each other. How's that hypocritical? You as always take the discussion point to it's extreme and unlikely conclusion.

I'm not saying I hate anyone. I've just stopped supporting the Lions when I used to like to.

What would you think if people on this forum said they were no longer supporting New Zealand because of the bottle throwing fans, or Kiwi's attacking an opposiotion player at 3am in the morning?

Sounds like a pretty minor lame reason to stop supporting a team.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jun 25 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What would you think if people on this forum said they were no longer supporting New Zealand because of the bottle throwing fans, or Kiwi's attacking an opposiotion player at 3am in the morning?

Sounds like a pretty minor lame reason to stop supporting a team.[/b]

I had no idea that many (if any) Irish or English actually had anything good to say about New Zealand anyhow, let alone support them, so it would make sod all difference.

Maybe thats why the French do so well against the SH teams, at least have respect for the teams and have earned it back. By the way, I have plenty of respect for the English and Irish teams themselves. They are class sides (most of the time) and can't help who some of the people are who support them, lol.

Anyhow. Maybe back on topic? So, South Africa will have a Burger king on their hands this weekend? Hopefully he won't make a meal of things. ;)

I've always thought that SH teams got a lot of respect/acknowledgement as great teams from NH fans :?
I've never come across anyone saying that SA/NZ/Aus are anything but great teams, i mean hell, look at the top teams list, anyone suggesting otherwise is in for a nasty shock :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Jun 25 2009, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've always thought that SH teams got a lot of respect/acknowledgement as great teams from NH fans :?
I've never come across anyone saying that SA/NZ/Aus are anything but great teams, i mean hell, look at the top teams list, anyone suggesting otherwise is in for a nasty shock :p[/b]

To be fair you look to be relaively newish around here due to the join date/post count, but you don't seem to be the kind of dude I'm talking about. From that comment I'd say your more the kind I'd clone if I could. :p

I don't know what your experience of Irish/English fans is, but you are definitely doing the whole tarring us all with the one brush thing you were complaining so much about recently. I'm sure in 2011 you will meet some great Irish fans.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jun 25 2009, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jun 25 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had no idea that many (if any) Irish or English actually had anything good to say about New Zealand anyhow, let alone support them, so it would make sod all difference.

Maybe thats why the French do so well against the SH teams, at least have respect for the teams and have earned it back. By the way, I have plenty of respect for the English and Irish teams themselves. They are class sides (most of the time) and can't help who some of the people are who support them, lol.

Anyhow. Maybe back on topic? So, South Africa will have a Burger king on their hands this weekend? Hopefully he won't make a meal of things. ;)
[/b][/quote]

The All Blacks are admired and recognised as the best around here, which is why we (Munster) are so proud of our victory against them 31 years ago, not because 'we beat those cheating ********' or anything like that, seriously I have the question what kind of Irish supporters you have been talking to.

There is plenty of respect for the All Blacks here, like all the proud test nations we play against. Ireland has never beaten the All Blacks, but it's not because we don't respecter them as much as the French do :lol: If anything maybe it's because we show them too much respect.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jun 25 2009, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't know what your experience of Irish/English fans is, but you are definitely doing the whole tarring us all with the one brush thing you were complaining so much about recently. I'm sure in 2011 you will meet some great Irish fans.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jun 25 2009, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jun 25 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

The All Blacks are admired and recognised as the best around here, which is why we (Munster) are so proud of our victory against them 31 years ago, not because 'we beat those cheating ********' or anything like that, seriously I have the question what kind of Irish supporters you have been talking to.

There is plenty of respect for the All Blacks here, like all the proud test nations we play against. Ireland has never beaten the All Blacks, but it's not because we don't respecter them as much as the French do :lol: If anything maybe it's because we show them too much respect.
[/b][/quote]

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a bleat about wanting every waking second to be "Songs Of All Black Praise". It was merely that I have had to do alot of defending of New Zealand (and sometimes the rest of the Tri Nations) over the time I've been on this site.

Richie McCaw cheats (never plays well, just cheats).
We are overrated, due to losing crucial world cup games.
We always want all the rule changes our way.
We aren't losing crucial talent, which we should be paid transfer fees for to clubs. Thats all three nations down here.
Schalk Burger and Victor Matfield are both cheats also.
We steal all our good players from the Pacific Islands (they weren't nearly all born in our country).
As a nation we should all hang our head in shame due to some mindless thugs.
Bryan Habana is an "average" winger.
We hurt Brian O'Driscoll (still hearing about it).
World rankings are meaningless, so we shouldn't take any pride in them.
Thats just what I can think of now.

Then there's the way SOME OF you guys snipe at each others nations over the Lions team. Almost no-one can put aside a national agenda and complement each others talent. So, of course I'm going to feel like my own personal (no-one elses) feelings towards supporting the British Lions would be dented.

By the way, never had a single thing against you or pretty much anything you say, Munsterman.

Are you familiar with the term 'WUM' or 'Wind Up Merchant'?

Fact is people on the Internet post things deliberately to irritate people, mainly opposition clubs/provinces or supporters of other countries.

Classic example, Mite's "Hang your heads in shame New Zealand" post.

Unfair to tar all supporters of a country with one brush, because the minority of supporters call the AB's chokers or whatever. In fact have a look at a forum like planet rugby and you'll find plenty of kiwis who put Irish or English posters to shame when it comes to winding people up.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jun 25 2009, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Are you familiar with the term 'WUM' or 'Wind Up Merchant'?

Fact is people on the Internet post things deliberately to irritate people, mainly opposition clubs/provinces or supporters of other countries.

Classic example, Mite's "Hang your heads in shame New Zealand" post.

Unfair to tar all supporters of a country with one brush, because the minority of supporters call the AB's chokers or whatever. In fact have a look at a forum like planet rugby and you'll find plenty of kiwis who put Irish or English posters to shame when it comes to winding people up.[/b]

"Unfair to tar all supporters of a country". Not trying to be an ass, but I have gone to great pains to use the word "some", never "all". If I've slipped up on that once I'll edit it. I don't blame the teams or most of their supporters, just heard enough from the idiots.

As for posters on other forums being wind-up merchants, I don't support our guys doing it too much either. Banter is fine as long as the odd positive thing gets said along with all the rest.

Anyhow, this is about South Africa and you lot anyhow, lol.

Hey, discussing anything is better than the beating we are likely to get at the weekend! :p

Don't play the under-dog tag. That always gets me. There's plenty of talent in that side if the combinations work together and the game plan counters a fairly complete South African side. Just the best team must go on the park, not the best individuals.

We are massive underdogs, I genuinely believe we will be beaten by 8+ points on Saturday, we missed a great chance to get the upper hand last Saturday and now we are heading for 3-0 to the Boks.

I'm not trying to get into your good books, that is just honestly how I see it, the most I can hope for is a respectful 2-1 defeat really.

Of course, I'd love to see them go out and prove me wrong, but it's very unlikely. A shame really, the 2009 Lions had a lot of potential, but too much of it was wasted trying to recreate the '97 tour.

Latest posts