• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

3-point and 2-point PGs

sigesige00

Bench Player
Now the value of all PGs is 3 points. But I think that there should be 3-point and 2-point PGs.
In the case of dangerous penalties the value should remain to be 3.

But other cases the value should be reduced from 3 to 2.

Offside
Knock-on Offside
Joining maul/ruck incorrectly
Playing the ball on the ground
Not releasing the ball
Not rolling away
etc...

Please tell me your opinions.

I personally think the balance that the current scoring has is perfect ie a converted try is worth one point more than two penalty goals. If anything I think dangerous play should simply be refereed better.

Now the value of all PGs is 3 points. But I think that there should be 3-point and 2-point PGs.
In the case of dangerous penalties the value should remain to be 3.

But other cases the value should be reduced from 3 to 2.

Offside
Knock-on Offside
Joining maul/ruck incorrectly
Playing the ball on the ground
Not releasing the ball
Not rolling away
etc...

Please tell me your opinions.
Reducing the points for a penalty? That's not going to pass around here. Ì suģgested some alternate rules here once that meant there were no penalty kicks. The northern hemisphere people were like "but...but...how will you score points?" And "but I love penalty kicks, my childhood heroes were goalkickers" I didn't even know people enjoyed penalty kicks, but people were posting videos of the most "beautiful" kicks they'd seen in their time.

Now that I've put the bait on and thrown the line out, to your question in seriousness I do know where you are coming from. There were some experimental rules a few years back that gave free kicks for some previously penalisable offenses.

There is already additional punishment in terms of cards for dangerous play; so I don't think points for that should differ from other penalties.

Maybe some of the scrum penalties could change, either less points or just not having a kick at goal option. In particular, often times the front row will come up to prevent a dangerous outcome because if they are going backwards and can't hold their feet the scrum will collapse and they could get crushed.

You aren't aĺlowed to deliberately break any rules, that is currently deserving of a card or at least a warning. So you could go further and punish someone more for a reckless disregard of the rules, not as bad as deliberate but they could have tried harder, compared to if they've mistimed their hands in the ruck by a split second, for example.

But you don't want to overcomplicate things, it's already pretty complicated.

I only have one real beef with scoring penalties, and that is the number of technical infringements that can result in a 3-point kick at goal. What I would rather see is an attempt made to stop scrums being used as a points generating machine. The scrum is supposed to be a means of restarting the game that involves a contest for possession of the ball.

Why not make all scrum infringements (that is, all Penalty Kick Sanctions listed in Law 19) an indirect penalty kick? It would be more than a Free Kick and less than a Penalty kick - the team awarded an indirect penalty kick would not be allowed to kick for goal, but they could kick directly into touch to gain field position and retain the throw in. Such a system would effectively make no difference to the result of scrum penalties awarded when the mark is out of range for a shot at goal.

Agree with SC we don't want teams infringing all the time.
Also the penalty lottery at Scrum time is the only area I see as needing a major look at.
All else happy with.
Welcome back SS.

I only have one real beef with scoring penalties, and that is the number of technical infringements that can result in a 3-point kick at goal. What I would rather see is an attempt made to stop scrums being used as a points generating machine. The scrum is supposed to be a means of restarting the game that involves a contest for possession of the ball.

Why not make all scrum infringements (that is, all Penalty Kick Sanctions listed in Law 19) an indirect penalty kick? It would be more than a Free Kick and less than a Penalty kick - the team awarded an indirect penalty kick would not be allowed to kick for goal, but they could kick directly into touch to gain field position and retain the throw in. Such a system would effectively make no difference to the result of scrum penalties awarded when the mark is out of range for a shot at goal.

agreed, nothing i hate more than a team getting pinged for no other reason than they are not strong or good enough

You asked for our opinions and I say leave PG's at 3 points.

Last edited:
Oh FFS! how many of these threads are you going to make Sige?

As a mod, perhaps you could merge all his threads into one, then then give it a name -say - "sigesige's nutty ideas thread" and instruct him to post all his ideas in that one thread.

As a mod, perhaps you could merge all his threads into one, then then give it a name -say - "sigesige's nutty ideas thread" and instruct him to post all his ideas in that one thread.

I'm more tempted to ban him for double posting. I just don't know if my fellow mods would agree with me.

We shhould create our own version of the SS lawbook and see what the result is.

I'm more tempted to ban him for double posting. I just don't know if my fellow mods would agree with me.
Is it a duplicate thread or a different idea? I don't really see the issue if it is a different idea.

I actually think it would be a good idea to have a section dedicated to laws where people can discuss interpretations of current laws as well as suggest new ideas

Can we have a vote on siges battiest idea along with the forum poster votes in the TRFies?

Is it a duplicate thread or a different idea? I don't really see the issue if it is a different idea.

I actually think it would be a good idea to have a section dedicated to laws where people can discuss interpretations of current laws as well as suggest new ideas

Yes, I actually think that it is ridiculous that dangerous penalties (like dangerous tackle) and non-dangerous penalties (like offside) have the same value.

Latest posts