• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

40 Years since "that" try. Is it the best ever?

Is that try the best ever.

• Yes, it was the best

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • No, I've seen better

Votes: 15 62.5%

• Total voters

SelimNiai

'Ark at ee mun!
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Bristol
Tomorrow (Sunday) marks 40 years since the Barbarians vs NZ match where Gareth Edwards scored the try that is widely thought as being the best ever. What do you think, is it the best or can you suggest a different contender?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't think of any off of the top of my head, but I've never thought that try was particularly great to be honest, it's just a mess - both the Baabaas and the All Blacks.

I like this one better than "that" try:

And this one as well:

There might be a few defensive flaws from NZ, but it's the number of pieces of skills (sidesteps, changes of pace), the awareness of space, the ambition to go from so deep and what I think what sets it apart is the number of hands it went through. It was a magical team try.

I can't think of a contender off the top of my head, so I'll just put my favourite try created by JSD (I fully admit bias). Start from 2 mins 55 secs:

lol, absolutely hilarious the actual best try of all-time isn't even MENTIONED in 7 posts now !! :lol:

***** pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase...:

The "try from the other side of the world" above, or that first one from the OP.
I've got Saint-André (no, no, not coz I'm French, that's an easy argument...) but anyone picking that first one, I'm fine with that...wtvr...

Note: that try in the waning moments gave France the victory 23-20. It was the second of 2 tests during that '94 summer, and the only time an int'l side won both tests and the series IN New Zealand (with the 1937 Boks apparently...). First test in Christchurch was won 22-8.

This try has always stayed in my memory:

Never been a huge fan of that try - agree with Olyy that it is a mess. Worst part is that the final pass is so blatantly forward.

The try that always stands out for me is actually this one -

There's probably been many tries as good as or better than "that try" just not as famous. I doubt too many remember this try, but this must be one of the greatest individual tries I've even seen.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hf9Elzj7ZPU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

The Edwards try is only a 'mess' because of the poor kicking. Infact the try is actually very good, with superb counter attack, handling, stepping and handling.

Deffo one of the greatest.

Rugby before 1999 can't be compared to rugby after. Defence was non-existant in many cases. The 'golden days' have never interested me, considering the lack of competition and the way the game was back then.\
You really can't say all time when it is seemingly an entire different code.

Rugby before 1999 can't be compared to rugby after. Defence was non-existant in many cases. The 'golden days' have never interested me, considering the lack of competition and the way the game was back then.\
You really can't say all time when it is seemingly an entire different code.

So ....

You can't just write off the game back then! Basically that attitude means any rugby before then didn't really happen / count. That's basically what is being said.

Of course the game was different back then. You only have to look at the differences in conditions the players had. It was a different game. Probably the basic skills back then were better with the players than they are now. Compare the Welsh Backline of the great 70s to that of the current one. How many of the current batch truly possess the same skill set as those from the 70s?

Write it off at your peril. I am blessed being a historian I have been able to look through loads of old footage of games and many were enjoyable to watch. I suggest Draggs when you get time, to look over games. You will be surprised.

BTW ... there are equally good tries. But that one is certainly one of the greatest.

Last edited:
I wasn't asking you to compare pro rugby to non-pro rugby. My point, and opinion that at face value and without analysing the intricacies of the modern game that the 1973 try is the best ever.

Actually quite interested that there haven't been any other suggestions pre 1990.

In the context of the game, and that time, IMO, it is certainly the best try I have ever seen.

However, for sheer drama, there are three others that I will never forget. In no particular order

► Jean-Luc Sadourny's try that won the French the series against New Zealand in 1994 - "the try from the end of the world".
► Jonah Lomu's try that won the 2000 Sydney test against Australia, arguable the greatest international rugby game ever played.
► Serge Blanco's try that knocked Australia out of the 1987 RWC.

Watched that 2000 match last week, Cooky, loved it!
What would the Australian give for a new Mortlock? One of the greatest centres of all time.

@Cymro, oh no my friend, I am not saying it doesn't matter, it just doesn't interest me personally.
The game pre-1999/1995 really does look like a different sport, so many law changes.

Last edited:
This try was pretty good too:

Sadourny's try in '94 was pretty special though....

Latest posts