50:22 and more to be globally trialled by WR

big ginger 8

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
World Rugby will globally trial the 50:22 kick and new breakdown laws https://the42.ie/5494793

50:22
Goal-line drop outs.
No pre-bound pods prior to receiving ball.
Stricter focus on one player latches remaining on feet and through the gate.
No targeting/dropping weight onto the lower limbs of a defender.

How does the 50:22 impact the game? In my mind it means an increase in Line Outs and therefore slowing the game down and reducing ball in play time.

Still no stricter focus on scrum feeds.

How does the 50:22 impact the game? In my mind it means an increase in Line Outs and therefore slowing the game down and reducing ball in play time.

Still no stricter focus on scrum feeds.

Given the amount of tries that are scored off attacking lineouts in the 22, the idea is that teams will drop more people into the backfield giving mire space to attack with ball in hand due to the defensive line being down.

No targeting/dropping weight onto the lower limbs of a defender.
What's this one mean?
Like at the ruck?
Or "shin breaker" tackles where they throw their body at the ball-carrier as low as they can and hope for the best?

I don't mine the 50:22 in theory, but it does feel a bit gimmicky - like when they had that 7s(? 10s?) tournament with different points values depending where you scored the try

What's this one mean?
Like at the ruck?
Or "shin breaker" tackles where they throw their body at the ball-carrier as low as they can and hope for the best?

Yeah sorry, I meant to put jackler instead of defender there.

So it's attempting to prevent what happened to Dan Leavy happening again.

Yeah sorry, I meant to put jackler instead of defender there.

So it's attempting to prevent what happened to Dan Leavy happening again.

This rule I'm not sure how it will play out in a game. If a player is bent over competing for a jackal then there's not much for the clearer to aim at. head/neck is obviously out of bounds but if they are bent over then torso is covered and legs is the other option?
Looks like it's encouraging players to do the crocodile roll sort of thing, hit and pull torso to the side, which probably causes more injuries.

Last edited:
Next Years Trials:
When tackled a ref will call held...and shout 1
The player will roll the ball through their legs....

Borthwick with his love of mauls and having a 10 like George Ford looking at that kicking law like
4b79di.png

I dont understand the latching thing
So essentially I'd imagine if you're the latch on a carry you can't just go off your feet with the ball carrier and kill the ball. If you're going to be involved at the ruck you have to keep your feet and come through the gate like anyone else. You'll pretty regularly see the latch fly over the tackle and prevent the other team from competing.

The pre-bound pods thing I think was already something refs were asked to focus on when it came to tap penalties/free kicks. Player has to reach contact before the latch comes in.

The dropping weight thing just makes sense. Some horror injuries happen that way. Would also love to see the end of missile tackles into guys legs that happen a dozen times in any game.

The drop out I think is stupid. Punishes the attacking team for trying to build a score and rewards the defending team way too easily. Particularly when grounding isn't always clear for the ref (see the idiotic no-try against the God King Coombes), places such a burden on the ball carrier to avoid any carry on the line that isn't a sure thing.

I like them all. Even the drop outs.

The drop out I think is stupid. Punishes the attacking team for trying to build a score and rewards the defending team way too easily. Particularly when grounding isn't always clear for the ref (see the idiotic no-try against the God King Coombes), places such a burden on the ball carrier to avoid any carry on the line that isn't a sure thing.

I'd guess most of the held ups are after multiple phases of short range battering. A competent team should score a high percentage of those and if they can't I don't see why they should be rewarded for failing to miss a gilt edged opportunity with another prime attacking position, especially when any excellence is likely to have come from a defender getting underneath the ball. There are obviously other scenarios and your point on clear grounding is fair, but even with a drop out the attackers will still get the ball back in open field in the opponent's half with another good opportunity to build an attack. Definitely worth seeing how it goes.

So goal line drop out means they can boot it off the field for a line out or do they have to keep it in field?

So goal line drop out means they can boot it off the field for a line out or do they have to keep it in field?
I assume it's the same rules as a normal drop out so if it goes out on the full then it will be a scrum on the 5 to attacking team.

I assume it's the same rules as a normal drop out so if it goes out on the full then it will be a scrum on the 5 to attacking team.
Thats a shame if so, be good if ball had to stay in play and maybe(just an idea dont bite my head off) couldnt bounce past half way, what will happen is we will see alot more tries held up, 2 man tackle 1 gets on the ball and allows themselves to fall over the try line. So not sure on it tbg

The latching and bound pods things will be interesting, given how often that happens. And the 50-22 may change how often we see box kicks in the middle of the park, with teams instead choosing between running the ball and kicking long

good fetchers right across the park will be important, as will kicking options out wide - centres and wings, fullbacks coming up into the line

they should also consider enforcing some of the current laws - eg
tackled player has to roll away
Entry at ruck when a team has driven over. Too often youll see a group of players drive over the ruck and passed an opposition pmayer standing next to the ruck, then the opposition player picks it up despite the fact that he didnt retreat behind his side of that moving ruck.

also, why should the attacking team have mire rights to a ball sitting amongst bodies when none are on their feet. To me that should be ruck over, anybodys game. They need ti work out how to get teams to play in the spirit of the game, to keep on their feet at rucks. I know they have wanted to give advantage to the attacking team because they thought that would lead to more attacking play, but defenses are so good these days that phase play tends to be the less effective, and more boring, type of play. Going to ground at the ruck in order to hold onto the ball for multiple phases first occurred as the reault of rugby going professional, ie when the spirit of the game no longer mattered, inteoduced by eddie jones with the brumbies and wallabies, followed by clice woodward, then graham henry and then everyone else. Its sad that rules and their interpretations need to keep changing because they are so subjective that professional teams will continue to try and figure out the best way to cheat, or "play to the limit of the law".

Last edited:
re the 50:22 rule

The way i had it explained was a safety wellness thing, more open field....but i feel its asking for more, we're going to see more bombs and there for competition in the air or we're going to have guys having more time to get up to full speed before running into a front rower...just another step towards league

re the 50:22 rule

The way i had it explained was a safety wellness thing, more open field....but i feel its asking for more, we're going to see more bombs and there for competition in the air or we're going to have guys having more time to get up to full speed before running into a front rower...just another step towards league
Be surprised if we see more bombs, it'll be low, drilled kicks to the corner flags I expect.

Not a fan tbh

Be surprised if we see more bombs, it'll be low, drilled kicks to the corner flags I expect.

Not a fan tbh
i was meaning in return, if a defensive team successfully drops to cover the 50:22 kick, if they counter from deep theyre less likely to try the same thing back so may go for the attacking bomb and compete in the air

Latest posts