• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

5m line-out instead of 5m scrum

sigesige00

Bench Player
5m scrum should be replaced by 5m line-out (the touch-line from which line-out is taken can be chosen by the team which have the ball).
What do you think?

This is actually the best one yet. There is literally no possible advantage in this proposal whatsoever. Usually I can at least understand Sige's twisted logic, but this is bizarre. Replace one set piece with another set piece. Why? Lol, why not?

I love it and am in total agreement.

This is the logic: sigesige00 doesn't like scrums. :p

Well, Wallabies would be grateful with this change...

:D:D:D

Scrum is time-consuming, dangerous, and difficult to judge, and too many fouls from scrums.
In the case of carry-back, the opponent side can choose:

1 point or 5m line-out

This is the best, I think.

That's right. There are too many fouls, too many difficult decisions, and too many fouls in scrums. And scrums are dangerous.

In the case of 5m scrum,

The opponent side can choose 1 point or 5m line-out.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is actually the best one yet. There is literally no possible advantage in this proposal whatsoever. Usually I can at least understand Sige's twisted logic, but this is bizarre. Replace one set piece with another set piece. Why? Lol, why not?

I love it and am in total agreement.

Actually, there is

At a five metre scrum both the attacking team and the defending team have to have their backs 5m back, however, at a 5m line-out, the defending team only have to have their backs 5m back, while the attacking team have to have their backs 10m back.

A 5m line-out is therefore, technically more advantageous to the defending team than a 5m scrum.

Actually, there is

At a five metre scrum both the attacking team and the defending team have to have their backs 5m back, however, at a 5m line-out, the defending team only have to have their backs 5m back, while the attacking team have to have their backs 10m back.

A 5m line-out is therefore, technically more advantageous to the defending team than a 5m scrum.

yes. true... But according to my Rugby Knowledge... and excuse me if I'm totally wrong... But isn't a lineout only awarded when a kick out of touch is made???

scrums are used to reset the gameplay for a mistake made in play, ie. knock-on, forward pass, touchdown in own goal line, kick made over the dead ball line(22 drop out) etc.

changing a scrum to a lineout is changing the core of rugby union!

I wouldn't have a problem with there being a choice for the attacking side. They can chose either a scrum or lineout.

Edit. Actually, Heineken has a point.

The Bokke are usually up there (pardon the pun) ITO line-out capability. I have no problem with this proposal.

yes. true... But according to my Rugby Knowledge... and excuse me if I'm totally wrong... But isn't a lineout only awarded when a kick out of touch is made???

scrums are used to reset the gameplay for a mistake made in play, ie. knock-on, forward pass, touchdown in own goal line, kick made over the dead ball line(22 drop out) etc.

changing a scrum to a lineout is changing the core of rugby union!

If so, then how about 5m FK?

Latest posts