• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

5th and final Ashes Test

M

M-Time

One of the biggest games of cricket in a decade. English can sniff the Ashes, but find themselves in unfamilar ground and are nervously looking behind them at the Australians. Will they choke?

If England start to see the game slipping in Australia's favour they'll play for the draw and an easy series win. Even England can't balls this one up.

Unless SCW has somthing to do with them now...
<

James Anderson is back in the England squad for the final test of this Summers Ashes series. Chris Tremlet has been left out of the squad for the Oval. Paul Collingwood is also included as doubts remain over the fitness of Simon Jones.

England squad: Michael Vaughan (captain), James Anderson, Ian Bell, Paul Collingwood, Andrew Flintoff, Ashley Giles, Stephen Harmison, Matthew Hoggard, Geraint Jones, Simon Jones, Kevin Pietersen, Andrew Strauss, Marcus Trescothick

**** this - England all the way!!! - they've deserved it without doubt, and i challenge any Aussie to say otherwise!!

No arguments there, massive progress from England in the last few years with series wins in Pakistan and Sri Lanka, decent start to Vaughan's captaincy coming from 2-0 down to level the home series with South Africa, followed by further away wins in the West Indies and in South Africa coupled with the home series wins last Summer against the Windies and New Zealand. That would be well and truly cemented with a win in the Ashes, and even at its worst they won't lose the Ashes which is still a far cry from previous series against the Aussies.

A lot of the experts seem to be thinking that England will play for the draw, seems a foolish approach in my opinion, surely that would only play into the Aussie's hands. Bringing Collingwood in IF Jones is unfit would certainly send out the wrong message.

Also a lot of codology over injuries, surely both McGrath and Jones will play, they're equally as crucial to both teams chances of victory. Could be a bit of a psychological boost to the Aussies if McGrath does play as England haven't won when he's played.

Originally posted by bman2112@Sep 4 2005, 06:51 PM
**** this - England all the way!!! - they've deserved it without doubt, and i challenge any Aussie to say otherwise!!
Oh, but they have been doing.

Don't forget - England haven't been playing well, it's just that Australia have played badly.
<

England have been allowed to play well because of Australia. I'm not saying you havn't improved, but we're defiantely no where near as good as we have been in recent years. Maybe the power is slipping, but this tour would already be done and dusted if we were playing to our (possibly past) potential.

Why can't you lot PHYSICALLY give England any credit?? We have outplayed Australia in the 2nd/3rd/4th tests, it is that simple. You've never got going because we haven't allowed you to.

So which side is leading the fifth test at the moment. How much time is this test going to last?

A maximum of 5 days.

England lead the series 2-1. But if Australia win this game, they will draw the series and retain the Ashes.

If England step onto the pitch with the attitude they have shown since the beginning of the 2nd test, then I wouldn't be at all suprised to see the series finish 3-1.

I hope they don't try and play too defensively and look for the draw from the outset, otherwise if Australia could get some momentum going England could really find themselves under the cosh.

Need sensible games from England's batting order if they are to succeed in my opinion.

Matt Hayden summed it up brilliantly when he said.. "All the pressure is off us now. We can just play our game. If we play like we can it will be better than England, no question."

Approx a week till australia come back with the ashes

As i have said england have played well but havent put the sword to an underachieving aussies

when we are playing that bad - or if you english are playing that well - why has each test been very close

u are playing to your full potential

when u dont for the 1st time, and we do (next test
<
) - i come back on here and listen to the "what could have been" for the zillionth time

Is there going to be mourning Down Under, two weeks in a row? Winless Tri-Nations and losing the Ashes?

Originally posted by M-Time@Sep 5 2005, 10:46 PM
Matt Hayden summed it up brilliantly when he said.. "All the pressure is off us now. We can just play our game. If we play like we can it will be better than England, no question."
It's funny, Aussies have been saying that the entire series as the Ashes slowly slips away from them. Role on Thursday.

Originally posted by M-Time@Sep 7 2005, 10:46 AM
OUT, Jones - IN, McGrath

.. Indeed, roll on Thursday.
ah yes

lets not forget...........now pls dont forget.............i would like to announce

England havent won a test in this series with McGrath in the aussie line-up

oooohhhhh ahhhhhhh!!!
<

If England have a draw uppermost in their minds they WILL lose (unless weather intervenes).

.........they have to remain positive and continue to do what they have done in the previous tests.

Latest posts