• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

6 Nations is unnecessary in the World Cup year

sigesige00

Bench Player
I think that the 6 Nations is unnecessary in the World Cup year. The burden of players is too much.
In my idea, World Cup should be every year. In the World Cup 1st Division, 8teams meet and play 7games. The 8th is relegated to the 2nd Division. The 2nd Division is also 8teams 7games.
6 Nations and Tri-nations are abolished.
What do you think?

Sounds poo!
Six nations and Tri-Nations (though the latter does drag on a bit) are quality

Six Nations in a world cup year is a way of finalising the team, and the players barely play any extra matches (1? 2?) because competitions still run throughout (LV= and Aviva/Magners)

lead%20balloon.jpg

I think you are talking ********...

Six Nations and Tri Nations are fundamental to Rugby, they are iconic tournaments which breeds a new level of banter between fans, also they provide a snapshot in time of who is the best team in the hemisphere...

Rugby players contrary to some peoples belief actually enjoy playing rugby...6 matches about 5 months before a world cup (the aspiration of every rugby player in the world) should not be a burden...

World Cup every year would cheapen the tournament, your idea seems a lot like the fictional Ten Nations tournament the old rugby games had, Six Nations + Four Nations(Argentina's joining the tri-nations in 2012). If anything reduce any friendly and tour games if there is a consensus to reduce games (which I don't think there is). The tri-nations is playing a smaller schedule during World Cup years anyway. Fans in countries like Scotland, Italy and Fiji would be constantly watching their team play well in the 2nd tier tournament only to battle in the relegation zone upon their promotion the following year.

The autumn internationals are the games that shouldn't be played the year before a world cup year. Scrap the AI's, let the clubs finish their season early and give the players some rest.

Wales are certainly not playing any AI, don't think any sides are!

The autumn internationals are the games that shouldn't be played the year before a world cup year. Scrap the AI's, let the clubs finish their season early and give the players some rest.

Sure, and the revenue that's generated from these matches will be replaced by what? ... less matches = less money to pay the players = less players

Silly idea for several reasons:
1. It would stop the growth of most countries outside the top 8.
2. It would devalue the third most viewed sporting event in the world, as its success and appeal comes at it coming around once every four years.
3. It would mean there are no International games in a country for years at a time.
4. All domestic rugby seasons would have to be altered.
5. It gets rid of years and years of history.

6Nations in Feb and March. RWC in October and November, not only is that 7-8 months away its actually NEXT season. Moronic suggestion

I think that the 6 Nations is unnecessary in the World Cup year. The burden of players is too much.
In my idea, World Cup should be every year. In the World Cup 1st Division, 8teams meet and play 7games. The 8th is relegated to the 2nd Division. The 2nd Division is also 8teams 7games.
6 Nations and Tri-nations are abolished.
What do you think?
Sorry, I disagree with this post. The Six Nations and Tri Nations are needed by the teams to warm up for the World Cup, to find their shape, find th right formula, find the best team, find some form, I could go on... The more games the better within reason of course. As for your second comment, that is just laughable. Are you on a wind up? Abolish the Six Nations and Tri Nations? Two of rugby's most integral, important and popular tournaments!
LOL

Maybe we should start playing with different balls too! And why give 5 points for a try? Just make it 20!!! And just let the players pass forward. It's much easier for the players. They don't have to run back all the time.

The game does need a shake up - reordering the NH season so the domestic game finishes in april and then having the Six nations immedeately before the summer tours is the way forward IMO.

10 nations tournaments would be worthless though. The tours are already stale as the same games are played every year anyway.

The clash between 6N and the regular season is a bit of an issue, especially with contracts and team releases. Will second the opinion above on that and totally agreed that a 10 nations would be absolutely worthless. There's no way of structuring that without a full league competition.

Are the big sides even playing summer tours this year? Surely regular pre-season training followed by the RWC warm-up matches would be enough?
Just risking injury by putting out two full strength test sides.

joker!! 6 and Tri nations are awesome, why do all sports do world cups every 4 years, cos it works! also i think havin the 6 nations during the regular season adds some interest into the club leagues, makes it more likely of a lesser team gettin an upset! Far more interesting!!

Latest posts