Getofmeland

The Dorset Drinker
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
/blogbanners/achatwithtom.png

The Rugby Forum is pleased to have spent some time with Wasps and England Winger Tom Varndell. Tom has taken some time out from his recovery to answer some questions put forward by the members of The Rugby Forum.

Stormer2010 - Which international winger currently playing would he be most concerned about facing off against?

Tom Varndell (TV) - There are so many players who obviously pose different threats currently playing all over the world, so Iââ'¬â"¢m going to cheat and say if Jonah Lomu was still playing and if he was in his prime he would definitely be someone Iââ'¬â"¢d be concerned about.

NickDNZ - On the forum there is a lot of talk about the speed of wingers, who is the quickest winger whom you have played with or against?

TV - The quickest winger Iââ'¬â"¢ve played against is Takudzwa Nqwenya the Biarritz and USA player, he is rapid. Iââ'¬â"¢ve played against him twice so far, in the Churchill Cup for the England Saxons and again in the Sevens Rugby World Cup in Dubai. Both times luckily he didn't see much ball.

DorceOutSide - Who was your Rugby Idol Growing Up?

TV -Growing up my favourite player(s) were Jonah Lomu, Rory Underwood and Jason Robinson. All were exceptional wingers and great try scorers, but each one was very different in the way they played. They all reached the top of the game, and are all still regarded as some of the best players to have played the game. As a kid growing up I wanted to have a little of all three; Jonah Lomus' brute strength, Rory Underwoods' try scoring ability, and amazing feet like Jason Robinson.

Stormer2010 - Which nation/s does he rate as contenders for the upcoming RWC in NZ and why?

TV - I've got to go for New Zealand as the favourites, they've been the stand out team yet again in the build up to the World Cup. They are such a well drilled side, and I can't see them messing up again. There are players in the All Blacks side who have experienced the World Cup disappointments previously and they won't want to feel it again. They've got that edge that I feel no other team in the world has at the moment. Australia and England could, on their day, produce some very exciting rugby. Both have a lot of exciting young players, who can do special things. Players like Quade Cooper, James O'Connor for Australia, and the likes of Benny Youngs, Chris Ashton for England should be the lads to watch in the World Cup.

@BuckMitchell - What his favourite thing about playing rugby is?

TV - There is only one answer to this question and it is scoring tries. For me there is nothing better than crossing the try line, itââ'¬â"¢s a feeling Iââ'¬â"¢ll never get bored of, I love scoring tries.

ORothlain - Can you give us a peak into your fitness routine?

TV - A normal training week will usually consist of 3-4 weight sessions (a mixture or strength lifting, hypertrophy weights. and power lifting) 2 cardio-vascular sessions, 1 speed session and 2 rugby sessions daily. I will always see the nutritionist weekly for body fat scores.

Bates - Which exercises do you find unmissable for improving your skills as a winger or speed in general?

TV - Speed is a wingerââ'¬â"¢s biggest weapon. I would encourage every young winger to maximise this tool anyway they can. Athletics is the most obvious way to gain that extra speed training. As a kid my parents made me go at least twice a week to athletics training in the summer. At the time I hated it but looking back the knowledge I gained from going, in terms of my sprint technique and body mechanics, was so important.

Footwork ladders and one on one evasion drills are also a key part of back three training.

RJ1 - As a young rugby player in the Pacific Islands (I alternate between Fiji, Solomonââ'¬â"¢s and Vanuatu), the brand of rugby that is played is very loose and focused on an individual players footwork and speed (as is the nature of the game over here in the islands), I was wondering for a professional player of your level which is the hardest to defend against?
1) Footwork and average speed?
2) Raw speed?

TV - I think both are equally important, the thing about raw speed is that you can't coach it, itââ'¬â"¢s a natural ability, you can always improve on what you've got but at the end of the day you've either got raw speed or you haven't

Footwork is so key to your success and you don't need raw speed to be good at it, training with ladders and one on one drills will help you improve this skill. I've played with players who haven't been the quickest but their foot work is amazing. With footwork you can beat so many players and avoid contact just as effectively as you could if you had raw speed. Both areas though are equally dangerous.

Olyy - Do you feel that playing for England 7s has helped improve your game for 15s?

TV - Playing for England 7's was not only a great experience and very enjoyable, it is definitely something every young player should do. It allows you to have more time on the ball, more space to run in, and gives you a real chance to test your skills at speed and under pressure. It definitely helped me with my attack running and skills with ball in hand, which are essential in both 15's and 7's.

Bates - Which notable changes have you noticed throughout your career when it comes to winger qualities?

TV - As a winger itââ'¬â"¢s no longer about just sitting on the outside waiting to get the ball. Being a winger youââ'¬â"¢re naturally meant to be the fastest man on the field, therefore the most dangerous man on the field.

You tend to be given more of a license to go looking for the ball and pop up wherever and whenever. Whether it be through the centres, outside 10, or round the breakdown where you tend to find one on one opportunities against tight five players.

The coaches encourage their wingers more than ever before to work off their wing and go looking for opportunities to score tries.

Stormer2010 - A day in rugby he would rather forget and why?

TV - My first England tour to Australia, I got made to look like a school kid in the 2nd test. It was a tough experience mentally, and one that took a couple of seasons really to pick myself up from. I lost a lot of confidence but I believe looking back Iââ'¬â"¢ve come out a stronger person mentally, and it helped me focus on what I really want.

Feicarsinn - Do you ever think about life after rugby? Is it hard for a full time professional to think that his career will be over by his mid-30's? How do you plan for it?

TV - These days as professional rugby players, we get a lot of help and guidance in terms of careers after rugby. The RPA (Rugby Players Association) help players to gain qualifications while still playing, and find jobs after sport.

Olyy - Do you have any pre-match rituals/superstitions?

TV - I don't have any pre-match rituals or superstitions. I suppose the only thing I may do is make sure my boots are clean before I go onto the pitch and my studs are tight, but thats out of fear because if my studs fell out and I slipped into touch during a game Shaun Edwards would kill me.

scar123 - Who is your best mate in rugby?

TV - I've been very lucky in rugby to have made a lot of great friendships. Whether it be at Leicester Tigers or London Wasps your team mates are so important to how you perform on the pitch in terms of enjoyment and confidence. Jordan Crane at Leicester was probably my closest friend; we went to school with each other as well as playing age group rugby. I've known him for years. At Wasps we're a very tight group, but i'm closest to the likes of Rob Webber, Ben Jacobs and Steve Kefu

scar123 - What is your favourite rugby ground?

TV - Apart from my home ground of Adams Park, which is obviously very special to me, Iââ'¬â"¢d have to say that Welford road is the best club ground to play at. Itââ'¬â"¢s a ââ'¬Ëœproperââ'¬â"¢ rugby ground, which has a lot of history, the supporters are very close to the pitch, and itââ'¬â"¢s a very exciting place to play, whether youââ'¬â"¢re the home team or away team. But nothing in the world beats Twickenham stadium on international day or cup final day, amazing. I love it!

T-Raz - Would you fancy yourself playing in a Super Rugby team?

TV - I would love to! The hot weather, hard grounds, what more do you need. Finally from me, who has the worse taste in Music in the Wasps Team?

TV - Without a doubt Joe Ward at London Wasps has the worst taste in music, he loves American country music, Dolly Parton's one of his favourites. On behalf of The Rugby Forum, I would like to thank Tom for spending some time with us and answering the array of questions from our members. Hope your recovery continues well and look forward to seeing you back on the pitch soon.

thats brilliant!!! Brumbies could use with a proper exciting winger too!

Some good answers in there :D
Good read, cheers to Tom, and yourself of course

What a champ. Great interview with good advice. Thanks getofmeland for organizing this!

BOOO!!...

I was the first one to ask a question and none of them were asked lol. Thats it no more help from me.

Latest posts