• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Couple of Rugby Questions

U

USA_Rugby

1. When a player dives into the try zone, how do they slide so much? Do they put Vasaline(a lubricant) on their legs or something? And if they do slide a lot after where they dived, where is the ball placed, where they first touched or where they ended up?

2. How come nobody ever though to paint the letters of the team in the try zone? You know, like in american college sports. Like in this picture: http://thatsonpoint.blogspot.com/uploaded_...ball-731389.JPG I think that would look awesome. Would it be against tradition or something?

Just wondering about a few things....

1. The pitches usually have very short grass, and are likely to be moist underfoot, hence there is not a lot of friction when players slide in.

2. Yes, it would be massively against tradition. It's very gimmicky and unecessary as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure somebody has thought of it, the fans would just hate it.

Ah, the grass is short. Ok.

Yeah, that's what I figured, sounds like something that would **** someone off.

Not too long ago the Sharks had a sponsor (a bank i think) that painted 3 or 4 stars a 1/2m in radius each, in the try area. Whenever a player touchdown the ball on a star the sponsor would donate R10 000 to an orphanage in Durban. I thought that was pretty cool. But otherwise the try area should be left alone. I like to see grass on a field, naturally.

1. When a player dives into the try zone, how do they slide so much? Do they put Vasaline(a lubricant) on their legs or something? And if they do slide a lot after where they dived, where is the ball placed, where they first touched or where they ended up?

2. How come nobody ever though to paint the letters of the team in the try zone? You know, like in american college sports. Like in this picture: http://thatsonpoint.blogspot.com/uploaded_...ball-731389.JPG I think that would look awesome. Would it be against tradition or something?

Just wondering about a few things.... [/b]

I always wondered that...every pitch I've ever played on has NO resemblance to the super slidey lawns they play on. Whenever I've tried a slide I've ended up in a heap nursing bruising and carpet burns.

No, the OP was correct, they do cover themselves in Vaseline before they play, however I have heard the Italians use Hair oil and the Scotish use chip oil.

Latest posts