A few questions about Rugby 08 PC

EnglandFan76

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
Hello all.

From what I've read around the net, Rugby 08 is the best rugby game on PC. I have a few questions:

• Where the hell can I get it for a reasonable price?? The cheapest I've found it is Ebay, but that's still £15 - quite steep for an old, second hand game.
  • Does it run OK under Win 7 64bit?
  • How does it stack up against the new Rugby Challenge game on Steam - in regards to gameplay and International content?
  • Pretty much any Fifa game I've bought on PC has had mods for gameplay as well as graphics - does Rugby 08 follow that trend?

Will there be any problems running it on this machine - I know some older games don't like quad core:

My Specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz
GPU: ATI EAH4850 512mb DDR3
RAM: 4gb
O/S: Win 7 64bit

Many thanks in advance for any replies. :)

No one at all? What about Rugby 06 - I've heard 08 is very similar to that game, apart from the new rosters. Maybe '06 can be found cheaper somewhere.

I run TRF 10 - a modded version of R08 - on Vista 64. No problems.

Thanks for your reply - but what about Win 7 64bit? As we all know, what runs on one O/S won't run on another. Also, I just found this review at Amazon:

I was looking forward to this game, but after loading up and then trying to change the graphics settings the game crashed every time i pressed the "system settings" option. A call to EA later i was told that if you have a quad core pc, the game is unlikly to run as they are "too powerfull" and when the game was tested they did not have time to test with quad cores only dual and single.

Sounds like I might be wasting my money on this one then - unless there has since been a patch to rectify the above issue?

I have a quad core. Windows 7 is just a Vista service pack so there should be no problem. I'm running a Q8200 @ 2.33GHz and 4 gig memory. Runs no problem for me.

I have a quad core. Windows 7 is just a Vista service pack so there should be no problem. I'm running a Q8200 @ 2.33GHz and 4 gig memory. Runs no problem for me.

Really? I've never heard it called that before. Anyway, if it runs fine on your system, maybe I'll take a punt on it - the ebay seller accepts returns, so I can get my money back if there are any problems. No manual though (has the CD Key), so I'm going to try and move them down to £10. ;)

So, regarding mods for this game, what are they like? Are there any that change gameplay elements, or is it mainly graphics/sound/yearly updates?

Just though id put in my computer stats as of christmas day: [FONT=Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif]AMD FX-8150 AM3+ 3.6GHz 8 core processor, Asus formula V mother board, NZXT HADES case, 16gb corsair vengeance low profile ram, [/FONT]Asus GeForce GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card, 1.5tb hdd, windows 7 64mb thats about it I think (sorry for colour changes)

Should be OK then.

I've just thought of something else though - all the videos I've seen show it with a side-on camera. Unlike Fifa, I've found Rugby games are better with an end on cam - surely there's such an option? What about Jonah Lomu's Rugby Challenge - has anyone played that? The only thing that's putting me off that one is that it doesn't appear to have a great deal of International content - I would expect World Cup and Six Nations at the minimum. :)

How long have you guys been playing it for - are you still enjoying it? Some people have told me they tired of it after only two weeks.

JL Rugby Challenge is highly, highly disappointing!! Rugby 08, to me, is still the ultimate rugby game. If you not too worried about graphics, its fantastic as far as gameplay is concerned, especially when compared to RC. RC is still somehow very unplayable, in some aspects, even after their big update.

If you can make the time to update your Rugby 08 with the new rosters, teams and kits, it will be well worth it.

Latest posts