a few questions to locksley or umosay.

LIAR! LIAR! LIAR!
<

they haven't shipped the demo to australia yet
<
<

the demo arrives on the 25
<

Pity you're not in SA los lover. I could kick your butt in JLR. HAHA! Oh, we're are all so brilliant in our own minds. Methinks online gaming must be in all future rugby games...
Great posts though

Locks, how did if go from "The step/barge/fend works better than i ever imagined!" To "They're pretty useless to be honest"

I respect your information locksley, and without you we would be searching for little scrappy screenshots from gaming sites. But this reminds me of the 2004 buildup. I suppose most of you have forgotten "I've played the rugby 2004 Demo AND IT ROCKS!" But that had me very excited, and locks decended slowly to eventually saying it sucked.

Is this happening again?

Originally posted by locksley+Feb 21 2005, 01:08 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locksley @ Feb 21 2005, 01:08 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-idrisguitar
@Feb 21 2005, 08:48 AM
yeah i just wanted to know how you feel about the longevity of the game now that you have had it and played it for a while. do you still get excited over playing it.

i mean for example pes series is a great addictive game that in my opinion never gets boring.

i thought wcr would be a similar experience with all the hype from trevorr and ian but it turned it rather poor. (plus pes is a simulation.....wcr is arcade)

i am very excited but want to know whether it is worth buying or will a week rental do it.

are you still seeing new animation or new little things that make you smile? i understand how hard it is for rugby games to be as good as pes, or american sports games but from your review it sound like they have made a game that will last......do you still stand by your initial views....as sometime playing for longer can change your opinion.

also can anyone point me in the direction of a video that is shwon in the side camera angle....as i have only seen classic views (i think)

thanks. i apologize if all this has been asked before (i did have a good look through three pages of topics)
yeah i just wanted to know how you feel about the longevity of the game now that you have had it and played it for a while. do you still get excited over playing it.

Right, if I'm being really honest now, I'm more than a little bored with the single player game! On normal mode, I'm scoring the same type of tries, my defence is well up to scratch and "nilling"the opposition is an alarming regularity.

For Example, an hour ago I started a Ten Nations tournament on the normal difficulty level, 5 minute halves, as Ireland! My first 3 matches were England, South Africa and New Zealand! the scores were as follows; 31-7 (Penalty try to England after a collapsed scrum), 24-0 and 33-0! Now this to me, is a bit annoying! So I quit that tournament and had a one off match, as Ireland, against Argentina on "Hard" mode!

The game in hard mode is just that.... HARD! So hard in fact that it seems unplayable! You CANNOT make ANY kind of break on it! Not ONCE did I break the line.... or win a lineout.... or win a scrum! The only good things were that my defence was top notch and turnovers were kept to a minimum, other than that, I could have played the match on hard for 24 hours and neither team would've scored! That. to me, is not very enjoyable, so I stuck it back on normal mode!

I suppose the answer to your question is yes and no!!! Yes, I get excited when I play the game in multiplayer mode (especially 2 on 2), but no, I'm not to bothered about playing the single player game anymore!

On a side note, after long continuous play, the sidestep and shoulder charge may as well not be there! They're pretty useless to be honest! Every now and again I've handed off a couple of would be tacklers, but I've NEVER stepped around the AI! I have in multi-player mode, but that's probably because the human player doesn't follow a set defence pattern and can be fooled by stepping!
[/b]
Based on that I don't think I'll bother getting the game - sounds terrible. Locksley how about if you created your own custom teams and changed the stas so the difficuly is somewhere between normal and hard. Do you think that would even out the game?

I've had another idea - Locks try this. Take your team (i.e Ireland) and using the player creator bump up your players stats. Perhaps leave the forwards alone, but make your three quarters much faster and stronger so they break more tackles and get through gaps. Then try playing again on Hard v Argentina. I did this in rugby 2004, but made the opposition better and it evened things out nicely.

Can you try and tell me if it works?

Cheers

J

mmmm I personally don't like editing the stats 2 much . Kinda takes the fun away. But hey if that is what i need to beat argentina on hard mode ... BRING IT ON

Originally posted by Hypnotised@Feb 21 2005, 08:40 PM
Locks, how did if go from "The step/barge/fend works better than i ever imagined!" To "They're pretty useless to be honest"

I respect your information locksley, and without you we would be searching for little scrappy screenshots from gaming sites. But this reminds me of the 2004 buildup. I suppose most of you have forgotten "I've played the rugby 2004 Demo AND IT ROCKS!" But that had me very excited, and locks decended slowly to eventually saying it sucked.

Is this happening again?

Ok, fair point! When I wrote the review, I was mostly referring to the steps/shoulder charges/fends from the training drills! They do work amazingly well in those! But, in a real match, on classic 2 mode, the steps are pretty much there for show as they don't work as well as I think they should! In side view tho, they work pretty well! Fends work ok in a match tho, it's just that the other defenders usually smother you before you get chance to break away!

However, one on one with the full back, a shoulder charge or fend should get you through.... if you time it right!

Yes, yes, I know! I'm guilty about saying that over the 2004 demo! You've got to remember tho, I'd not played a rugby game since Rugby 2001, and the very fact that I had a 4 minute demo of 2004 sent me into a different world! I did, after more time with the full game, however, set the record straight! I promised myself I'd never get drawn in again in the hype, and I haven't! Rugby 2005 is a fantastic rugby game, and one that's well worthy of purchase!

Is this happening again?

No, not at all! Yes, there are flaws, quite a lot of them, but it doesn't stop it being a superb Rugby game, and a million miles away from the shockingly bad Rugby 2004!

On a side note, if you listed all the flaws with Jonah Lomu rugby, you'd have a list as long as your arm.... did that make the game bad?

So true locks, JLR is full of flaws but the playability of the game made up for those. Every game will have problems, including the best(biggest budget) ie. madden 2005, etc...

The video clips look great and i mean we cannot expect a miracle. It seems as if R2005 is 100 times the game r2004 was.

Will definately purchase this game and enjoy every minute of it!

Cheers

Originally posted by locksley+Feb 22 2005, 09:48 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locksley @ Feb 22 2005, 09:48 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Hypnotised
@Feb 21 2005, 08:40 PM

Is this happening again?

Ok, fair point! When I wrote the review, I was mostly referring to the steps/shoulder charges/fends from the training drills! They do work amazingly well in those! But, in a real match, on classic 2 mode, the steps are pretty much there for show as they don't work as well as I think they should! In side view tho, they work pretty well! Fends work ok in a match tho, it's just that the other defenders usually smother you before you get chance to break away!

However, one on one with the full back, a shoulder charge or fend should get you through.... if you time it right!

Yes, yes, I know! I'm guilty about saying that over the 2004 demo! You've got to remember tho, I'd not played a rugby game since Rugby 2001, and the very fact that I had a 4 minute demo of 2004 sent me into a different world! I did, after more time with the full game, however, set the record straight! I promised myself I'd never get drawn in again in the hype, and I haven't! Rugby 2005 is a fantastic rugby game, and one that's well worthy of purchase!

Is this happening again?

No, not at all! Yes, there are flaws, quite a lot of them, but it doesn't stop it being a superb Rugby game, and a million miles away from the shockingly bad Rugby 2004!

On a side note, if you listed all the flaws with Jonah Lomu rugby, you'd have a list as long as your arm.... did that make the game bad?
[/b]
Good to hear - the only thing I'm worried about is the single player game being up to scratch.

Locks if you decide to keep going with the single player on HARD level can you give us a sneeky update? I just want to know how you get on with this level once you've practiced for a few days. Can you find gaps and make ground? is it competitive? can you score some good tries etc

Thanks very much

Cheers

J

Latest posts