• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A & G Lions vs Vodacom Stormers

M

munross

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Teams

Lions :Earl Rose,Tonderai Chavhanga, Deon van Rensburg, Doppies la Grange,Wandile Mjekevu, Carlos Spencer, JP Joubert, Jonothan Mokuena, Franco van der Merwe, Cobus Grobbelaar (capt.), Willem Stoltz, Jacque Lombard, Ross Geldenhuys, Hannes Franklin, Heinke van der Merwe.

Reserves: Charles Emslie, JC van Rensburg, Todd Clever, Jacques Coetzee, Derrick Minnie, Burton Francis, Michael Kilian.

Stormers :15. Joe Pietersen,14. Gio Aplon,13. Jaque Fourie,12. Juan De Jongh,11. Bryan Habana,10. Peter Grant ,9. Dewaldt Duvenage,8. Duane Vermeulen,7 Francois Louw,6. Schalk Burger ©,5. Andries Bekker ,4. De Kock Steenkamp,3. Brok Harris,2. Tiaan Liebenberg ,1. Wicus Blaauw

Reserves:16. Deon Fourie,17. JC Kritzinger,18. Anton Van Zyl,19. Pieter Louw,20. Ricky Januarie,21. Lionel Cronje,22. Sireli Naqelevuki

Match Officials
Referee: Jaco Peyper (SA)
Ass. Refs: Mark Lawrence (SA), Kobus Wessels (SA)
TMO: Shaun Veldsman (SA)[/b]

"King Carlos" to be welcomed back into Super Rugby with an earth-moving, mind-blowing, heart-pulsating, bone-crunching, spine-chilling tackle from you know who....... :D

Schalk-Burger415.jpg

http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2009/12/Schalk-Burger415.jpg

My prediction: Stormers by 16

Your prediction wasn't far off.

Did nobody watch this game ?
I only got to see the first half, where the Stormers were all over the Lions in every possible way, but apparently the Lions then turned it into wild
sevens styled run anything and everything game with no structure in the second half. So I guess I'm kinda glad I missed that.

Apparently our Defense was quite good again, which is what I like to hear since we generally have a great defense every year.

It was nice to see Jacque Fourie score his first "official" try for the Stormers in his first real game (pre season matches don't count for squat anyway), and Habana did well I think in his first game for us.

The Stormers looked dangerous with ball in hand and defended brilliantly when it was on for the Lions. Fell a bit off the pace in the second half but that was largely due to the way the ref blowed the game IMO; pedantic like hell so the guys kinda stopped pushing the rules. Still, thought the guys should have done better to close out a game they were dominating up until then. Hopefully the Stormers' forwards can adapt quickly to the new way of enforcing the laws as we got precious little turn-over ball.

Looking good in the back with depth to boot but what I was most happy with was that JC Kritzinger held his own against a pretty decent Lions scrum when Blaauw went off injured. Alot of players still injured for the Stormers and will only strengthen us when coming in.

At times I felt I was watching league; not too taken with the new rule enforcements.

I heard somewhere that Spencer was taken off at half-time because he isn't fit enough.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Feb 15 2010, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I heard somewhere that Spencer was taken off at half-time because he isn't fit enough.[/b]

Yes but its understaable taking into account the incredable pace the game was played at almost everywhere this round with the new enforcement of breakdown rules, at altitude, he is used to NH rugby and is old.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Feb 15 2010, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Feb 15 2010, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I heard somewhere that Spencer was taken off at half-time because he isn't fit enough.[/b]

Yes but its understaable taking into account the incredable pace the game was played at almost everywhere this round with the new enforcement of breakdown rules, at altitude, he is used to NH rugby and is old.
[/b][/quote]

And because he was almost be-headed by Burger, like I predicted!

That was a ridiculous call though, burger was on his haunches for goodness sake, if he had gone any lower he would have been on his ass, Carlos simply fell into him, silly little flyhalf.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
"earth-moving, eye-poking, mind-blowing, finger-jabbing, heart-pulsating, de villiers denying, bone-crunching, one-in-the-eye, spine-chilling tackle from you know who[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Feb 15 2010, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
"earth-moving, eye-poking, mind-blowing, finger-jabbing, heart-pulsating, de villiers denying, bone-crunching, one-in-the-eye, spine-chilling tackle from you know who[/b]
[/b][/quote]

I also deny any eye-gouging from you know who.

Latest posts