• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A glossary of modern Rugby

goodNumber10

International
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
London Wasps
Thought it would be useful for newbies and oldies to put together a little bit of a glossary of terms used in modern rugby that are not featured here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_rugby_union_terms

To start:

01: Sit him down

You hear this a lot at the moment, and it refers to the body position assumed when a defender crouches into a squatting position leaning back on his heels - he looks like he's sitting down with out a chair.

NB: can also mean putting the big hit on a defender, knocking him to the ground. i.e. literally making him sit down. (for @ratsapprentice)

02: Bite in

When a defender wrongly decides to make the hit, and commits to it, usually he steps out of the line - especially on a blitz defence - and looks for the big hit.

03: Screen/Masked pass (also referred to as a Block and Slide)

When you pass behind a dummy runner (the Block/Screen) to another player (The Slide) running behind the Block.

04: Sealing

When an attacker at the ruck stops the competition for the ball by holding the shirt of the ball carrier/or leaning on the body on the ground so he's A; not supporting his weight, and B; creating a seal.

05: Squeeze ball

When the attacker puts the ball under neath him once he's tackled (squeezing the ball between himself and the ground), stopping the opposition getting to the ball - it used to be they'd basically kneel over the ball with it between their legs - it's illegal because it's both dangerous and stops the competition for the ball.

06: The Tackle Gate (a.k.a. The Gate)
An imaginary construct at the tackle zone that limits the area through which players arriving at the tackle may enter to play the ball. Width of the gate is the width of "the tackled player or the tackler closest to those players' goal line". Therefore , each team has its own gate, and must enter though it.

07: Tackle Assist
A player who brings the ball carrier to ground (or who assists a tackler in doing so) but who does not go to ground himself. This player is not a tackler (by definition), even though he may have tackled the ball carrier, so he must release and re-enter the tackle zone through the gate before playing the ball. If he happens to have brought the ball carrier to ground in such a way that he has ended up in the gate already, he still must show a clear release of both the ball and the tackled player before attempting to take the ball.

08: Saddle Roll - also known as the Can Opener
A technique whereby an arriving player, wishing to clean out an opponent at a tackle, will grasp the opponent around the chest (from above and behind) and roll him to the side and to ground to expose the ball. Players doing this must be careful not to grasp the player around the neck (dangerous play) or to attempt this technique once a ruck has been formed (collapsing the ruck).

09: Blowing out/Cleaning out past the tackle
An illegal clean-out technique where players go right though or past a tackle and take out opponents beyond the back of their tackle zone.[/QUOTE]

10: Scissors/Switch

When a player carrying the ball is running in one direction and passes the ball to a team mate running in the opposite direction.

11: Punch group (sometimes referred to as a pod)

When a group of players take the ball into contact with the aim of "punching" through the defender/defensive line or creating a new ruck and committing defenders to it.

12: Post/Pillar/Guard

At a ruck the nearest defender legally onside is referred to as the guard, so 1st guard. You normally have 2, so 1st & 2nd Guard.

Their job is to defend a pick and go or the scrum half trying to break.

13: Sacking

A method of maul defense where you pull the jumper to the ground as he lands and before the maul is formed.

14: Set piece

A way of restarting the game after an infringement or the ball has gone out of play. Usually refers to a scrum or line out.

15: Strike Move

A pre-planned move, that is launched with the intention of breaking the defensive line open with a clean break - usually executed by the backs it can also be a forwards move, such as backrow move or a line out move.

16: Maori side step

Running straight into a player instead of trying to run around them

17: Wipers Kick

A diagonal tactical kick (usually grubber kick or a kick with a low, fast trajectory), specifically used to put the ball behind a rushing defence, away from any cover defending loose forwards, and ahead of the opposing Fullback. The tactic is to turn the rushing defence around and try to force the opposing fullback to play at the ball with your chasers bearing down on him. An expertly executed wipers kick will have the opposing fullback playing the ball just as your chasing winger and center arrive.

18: 'Sweeper' / 'Sweep defender'

The player's role in defense is to patrol close in behind the defensive line to field chips over the top. Usually one of the halfbacks and used for teams implementing a rush defense.

19: Skip pass
you skip one or more players to get the ball wide quickly as opposed to the ball going through all hands down the attacking line.

20: Rush defense
The defensive line blitzes the attackers in an attempt to close down their options. Usually with the outermost defender coming up and in the fastest in order to create a curving line of defenders to contain the attack resembling a bowl.

21: Cover defense
From a ruck or set piece the cover defense is a 2nd line of defenders moving outward behind the first line of defense and shadowing the ball, usually the more mobile forwards moving up in behind the backs.

21: Gatlandball/Warrenball

A form of rugby played by Wales involving crashball and large players in most positions on the pitch.

22: Chop tackle

Tackling a player at the ankles. Brings down even the biggest of ball carriers, on your side of the ruck and allows your teammates to get in over the ball quicker. Does increase the risk of an offload though. For examples check out Dan Lydiate.

23: Choke Tackle

Opposite of the Chop, you try and keep the ball carrier on his feet to create a maul, whilst wrapping the ball up enough that it cannot be released either from the maul or a ruck - resulting in your team gaining possession. First developed as an explicit weapon by Les Kiss as Ireland's Defensive Coach.

Add others you may know below.....

Last edited by a moderator:
01: Sit him down

You hear this a lot at the moment, and it refers to the body position assumed when a defenders crouches into a squatting position leaning back on his heels - he looks like he's sitting down with out a chair.

Err... that's definitely not what I know it to mean!

Sitting someone down is smashing a tackler in contact so they fall on the floor. Or more generally dominating someone.

Yeah it used to be, it was something that jiffy would yelp every time Mike Phillips boshed someone... But it's different.

Watch the BOD wrap around thing on BT he talks about sitting the defender down... It's an Irish term (I think), getting used a lot.

Sit the defender down, means stop him make him flat footed and go into the pre-hit crouch.

Well - yeah but that's a niche term, I'd be very surprised if anyone outside of a very select group of coaches/players use the term in that way.

Particularly given it already means something in the context of rugby.

'To bury the ****'
Jackalling over the ball is an actual personnel favourite of mine. Then there's others like killing the ball, sealing, squeeze ball etc. Never heard of sitting the defender down myself.

Well - yeah but that's a niche term, I'd be very surprised if anyone outside of a very select group of coaches/players use the term in that way.

Particularly given it already means something in the context of rugby.

Maybe so, but does it matter?

It's a glossary it can carry both definitions.... :D

'To bury the ****'
Jackalling over the ball is an actual personnel favourite of mine. Then there's others like killing the ball, sealing, squeeze ball etc. Never heard of sitting the defender down myself.

You're meant to explain the term mate, not just write down a word :)

Sealing

When a an attacker at the ruck stops the competition for the ball by holding the shirt of the ball carrier/or leaning on the body on the gorund so he's A; not supporting his weight, and B; creating a seal.

Squeeze ball

When the attacker puts the ball under neath him once he's tackled, stopping the opposition getting to the ball - it used to be they'd basically kneel over the ball wth it between their legs - it's illegal because it's both dangerous and stops the competition for the ball.

Last edited:
The Tackle Gate (a.k.a. The Gate)
An imaginary construct at the tackle zone that limits the area through which players arriving at the tackle may enter to play the ball. Width of the gate is the width of "the tackled player or the tackler closest to those players' goal line". Therefore , each team has its own gate, and must enter though it.

TackleGate.jpg

Tackle Assist
A player who brings the ball carrier to ground (or who assists a tackler in doing so) but who does not go to ground himself. This player is not a tackler (by definition), even though he may have tackled the ball carrier, so he must release and re-enter the tackle zone through the gate before playing the ball. If he happens to have brought the ball carrier to ground in such a way that he has ended up in the gate already, he still must show a clear release of both the ball and the tackled player before attempting to take the ball.

Saddle Roll
A technique whereby an arriving player, wishing to clean out an opponent at a tackle, will grasp the opponent around the chest (from above and behind) and roll him to the side and to ground to expose the ball. Players doing this must be careful not to grasp the player around the neck (dangerous play) or to attempt this technique once a ruck has been formed (collapsing the ruck).

Blowing out/Cleaning out past the tackle
An illegal clean-out technique where players go right though or past a tackle and take out opponents beyond the back of their tackle zone.

Last edited:
@smartcooky thanks.

Saddle roll in the NH is called a "can opener"

I'll add them all to the OP

I'm pretty sure the "saddle roll" is the same thing as what we call a "gator roll".

Yeah it used to be, it was something that jiffy would yelp every time Mike Phillips boshed someone... But it's different.

Watch the BOD wrap around thing on BT he talks about sitting the defender down... It's an Irish term (I think), getting used a lot.

Sit the defender down, means stop him make him flat footed and go into the pre-hit crouch.

Yeah I'd never seen the use of it for smashing someone before this. I've had coaches talking about wanting to sit the defender down for ages.

Might be a bit simple but:

Sacking

A method of maul defense where you pull the jumper to the ground as he lands and before the maul is formed.

Set piece - a way of restarting the game after an infringement or the ball has gone out of play.

The reason I mention it is because I don't remember it being used (or used as frequently) when I first started watching the game 14 years ago or so. I was a bit confused when I first heard it, thinking it referred to a play plan rather than the lineout or scrum from which the play originated. (I also wonder if my confusion was due to being American and influenced by NFL 'game plan' terminology.)

das

Maori side step - running straight into a player instead of trying to run around them ;)

@ragerancher yeah i know, this was more about those things people might hear in the modern game - like the sit down comment.

Not an all in, but ti started heading that way..... will actually put the link to the Wiki in the first post.

Wipers Kick
A diagonal tactical kick (usually grubber kick or a kick with a low, fast trajectory), specifically used to put the ball behind a rushing defence, away from any cover defending loose forwards, and ahead of the opposing Fullback. The tactic is to turn the rushing defence around and try to force the opposing fullback to play at the ball with your chasers bearing down on him. An expertly executed wipers kick will have the opposing fullback playing the ball just as your chasing winger and centre arrive

NOTE: You you Irish guys still use the term "Garryowen"?

Latest posts