• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A glossary of modern Rugby

The squeeze ball being illegal is new to me, at least outside of 19&U, is this recent?

The squeeze ball being illegal is new to me, at least outside of 19&U, is this recent?

Smartcooky will be better placed to answer, but AFAIWA if you are flat on the ground you can place the ball back between your legs as long as it's in one movement.

However you cannot crouch over it with it between your legs or trap it under your body (squeezeball - and thus not releasing).

Think it's been that way for a while, even outside U19's.

'Sweeper' / 'Sweep defender'

The player's role in defense is to patrol close in behind the defensive line to field chips over the top. Usually one of the halfbacks and used for teams implementing a rush defense.

Last edited:
A quick scan of the wiki shows it doesn't have such basic terms as 'skip pass', 'rush defense' (it does have 'drift defense' though) of 'cover defender'.

Skip pass:
you skip one or more players to get the ball wide quickly as opposed to the ball going through all hands down the attacking line.

Rush defense:
The defensive line blitzes the attackers in an attempt to close down their options. Usually with the outermost defender coming up and in the fastest in order to create a curving line of defenders to contain the attack resembling a bowl.

Cover defense:
From a ruck or set piece the cover defense is a 2nd line of defenders moving outward behind the first line of defense and shadowing the ball, usually the more mobile forwards moving up in behind the backs.

Chop tackle

Diving in to try and tackle a player at the ankles. Brings down even the biggest of ball carriers and allows your teammates to get in over the ball quicker. Does increase the risk of an offload though. For examples check out Dan Lydiate.

@stormer2010 It does mention the rush defence under Blitz defence.

Gatlandball/Warrenball- A form of rugby played by Wales involving crashball and large players in most positions on the pitch.

Clearout - Removing opposition players from a ruck.

Cynical play/professional foul - Where the referee believes that a player intentionally infringed in order to slow an opposition attack.

Sealing off - where a player puts their body in a position that prevents the ball from leaving the breakdown.

Last edited:
My brain must have switched off then because I definitely checked before writing them. Ah well.

I know that. I was just asking if the term is still in common use. I haven't heard NH commentators use it for years (they usually use "bomb")

Still used commonly enough in Ireland but up and under and bomb are also used regularly.

I have a slightly off-topic question -why do SH commentators talk like Yoda? Instead of saying 'The All Blacks have good pace', they say it backward, 'They have good pace, the All Blacks'. It seems mostly to be a kiwi thing, and my husband blames it on LOTR. :p

das

I have a slightly off-topic question -why do SH commentators talk like Yoda? Instead of saying 'The All Blacks have good pace', they say it backward, 'They have good pace, the All Blacks'. It seems mostly to be a kiwi thing, and my husband blames it on LOTR. :p

das

haha, ya silly pigeon !!! Totally see it, it's true...I quite find it annoying. I HATE the "a pretty good move, that" although that's somethin else. And not SH only. .. *momentary pause* OK pleaaase don't reply to this, they're going to throw us into the hellish fires of Mount Doom !! MOUNT DOOM, das !!!

haha, ya silly pigeon !!! Totally see it, it's true...I quite find it annoying. I HATE the "a pretty good move, that" although that's somethin else. And not SH only. .. *momentary pause* OK pleaaase don't reply to this, they're going to throw us into the hellish fires of Mount Doom !! MOUNT DOOM, das !!!

I had to reply since I couldn't rep you until I spread the love around a bit. ;)

@goodNumber10 - Thanks for this thread - I've found it very enlightening. Sometimes I do feel like the commentators are speaking a different language, but this thread helps explain a few things a bit. :)

das

"a crACKAHHH !!!" - means a potently exciting match in Australian or other derived dialects.
"a seettAAAHH !!!!" - a bad miss from the kicking tee from an easy position/distance from the posts (Same language).

Happy to contribute to this utmost respectable thread.

Latest posts