• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

I'd have no problem with Lancaster being coach, that's a pretty exciting prospect. Like many always rated him as a coach, just maybe not at World Cup level. He's youngish for a coach, I reckon he'll be a pretty big coach in time to come. Places like Leinster and Munster are where he can really develop his coaching skills for the future.
If we got Lancaster and Farrell it would be a perfect duo. Don't think Lancaster gets enough credit. He guided England through a dark period and built foundations for Jones. Think his style is perfect for our squad that is more developing than developed. Saw Andy up close when he came in to us for the few weeks. He's a brilliant coach and has a way where if he talks you listen.

If we got Lancaster and Farrell it would be a perfect duo. Don't think Lancaster gets enough credit. He guided England through a dark period and built foundations for Jones. Think his style is perfect for our squad that is more developing than developed. Saw Andy up close when he came in to us for the few weeks. He's a brilliant coach and has a way where if he talks you listen.

i think Lancaster gets too much credit TBH.

i think Lancaster gets too much credit TBH.
I don't know even before his time with England I was always a fan. He did great development work with England and it's no coincidence he improved Leinster. Even Furlong singled him out last week

I don't know even before his time with England I was always a fan. He did great development work with England and it's no coincidence he improved Leinster. Even Furlong singled him out last week

But at the same time what has he ever won, when he was in the top seat?
3 X churchill cups - meh meh meh
1 X Championships - Followed by losing all but 2 prem games the next season.

His England U20's and England first team both became chokers in the final big games.
In his 4 years with the U20's he never won the final knock out game be it the 3rd place final v SA in 2010, or the 3 championship finals v NZ (08.09.11)
In his 4 years With the seniors 4 runners up spots in 4 six nations and choked big style in the entire lead up to the RWC.
Leinster played lovely rugby looked lost comfortably in the home semi final v Scarlets and didn't look like beating Clermont (Understandable away TBF)

He is a glorified assistant coach not a head coach with no winning pedigree.

I thought Leinster did look like beating Clermont for large periods of that game. They gave themselves too big of a mountain to climb though, from the start. As for Scarlets well they kinda just blew everyone away when it really mattered didn't it? F**k me they left us speechless at the Aviva.

As for Lancaster it's hard to say. Runner up 4 times and getting booted out of the RWC at home does not look good. At the same time though one win over NZ and came very close to sneaking one against them down under too. 2014/2015 there was a 10/7pt difference respectively, could've very very very easily been back to back wins for England. Rugby is a game of fine margins and all that. They definitely do look a lot more menacing under Jones but as mentioned here Lancaster did build that squad and made them a lot more competitive than the Johnson era. As I said I think he will learn a lot in the next 10 years and will see some good success with clubs. I'm happy for him to come to Munster.

But at the same time what has he ever won, when he was in the top seat?
3 X churchill cups - meh meh meh
1 X Championships - Followed by losing all but 2 prem games the next season.

His England U20's and England first team both became chokers in the final big games.
In his 4 years with the U20's he never won the final knock out game be it the 3rd place final v SA in 2010, or the 3 championship finals v NZ (08.09.11)
In his 4 years With the seniors 4 runners up spots in 4 six nations and choked big style in the entire lead up to the RWC.
Leinster played lovely rugby looked lost comfortably in the home semi final v Scarlets and didn't look like beating Clermont (Understandable away TBF)

He is a glorified assistant coach not a head coach with no winning pedigree.
I get what you're saying just I do rate him. I'm basing it also on he has improved from his experiences. Also I just think he would be perfect in a developing team like ours.

As for Lancaster it's hard to say. Runner up 4 times and getting booted out of the RWC at home does not look good. At the same time though one win over NZ and came very close to sneaking one against them down under too. 2014/2015 there was a 10/7pt difference respectively, could've very very very easily been back to back wins for England. Rugby is a game of fine margins and all that. They definitely do look a lot more menacing under Jones but as mentioned here Lancaster did build that squad and made them a lot more competitive than the Johnson era. As I said I think he will learn a lot in the next 10 years and will see some good success with clubs. I'm happy for him to come to Munster.

not sure you can say he was more competitive than Johnson.
Torphies Johnson won ----> 1
Trophies Lancaster won ---> 0

I mean people go on about the fact that Lancaster had to take over from the Johnson era, but no one mentions the **** show England was in before Johnson (Just look at the age of the 2007 RWC suqad FFS).
Martin Johnson was the only Head Coach to win something since the 2003 rugby world cup -----> to the 2016 Six nations grand slam.

I'm taking this thread at a bit of a tangent BUT it is a massive trigger point for me, I think people massively overplay the impact of Lancaster. Johnson didn't have the benefit of the RFU pumping **** loads of money into it's academy system like Lancaster he didn't have the quality player depth Lancaster benefited from.

For me the biggest point is that the England players felt worse about how it ended with Johnson than they did Lancaster and the fact that the Irish, Welsh and scottish actually liked him as a coach.

Anyway this is getting pretty off topic on my part so i'm dropping it.

Those are all fair points, tbh I'm really not hugely knowledgeable on the workings of Johnson-era England. Perhaps he is overrated by some of us Celts, maybe because you looked more beatable under him than Jones :p But I do think he has potential and that he could be a great coach in the future, as I say he's still young compared to other coaches and has a lot of learning left to do.

Lancaster has repeatedly said that Dublin suits him perfectly because his family is a short plane ride away. With that in mind it would be a surprise if he went to Munster.

Mike Ford is another rumour.

Lancaster has repeatedly said that Dublin suits him perfectly because his family is a short plane ride away. With that in mind it would be a surprise if he went to Munster.

Won't be Ford. He has taken on a job in USA recently and isn't even in the discussion I'm hearing on the ground

Ah sure he can fly from Cawk airport.

Eddie O'Sullivan is the man to take the helm at the Debt Star.

Maybe move Munster to cork?
Jesus christ after finally overcoming the Cork First crowd to have one player Base in the state of the art purpose built UL moving to Cork would be madness.
First and foremost I want foreigners to take the helm, with bringing on Jones and Flannerys given big emphasis. I really don't rate O'Sullivan or any of the other Irish guys available. Glad to hear Ford being squashed. Wouldn't mind Lancaster in a DOR role as he seems good at bringing young guys through at this level, but if he is I want someone from SH brought in as coach. Our play style seriously needs to develop. Erasmus gave us a really solid Base and a grindy team but we can and must improve to be the best.

Latest posts