• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

O'Donoghue seems like more of a bruiser in the CJ Stander mould. O'Sullivan is more of a footballer like Jamie Heaslip. Great to have such options.
Yes that's my point. I think O'Sullivan will be a talent in few years where as Jacko reminds me of Sean O'Brien. Not in the same levels ability but more doing all backrow positions

I think O'Sullivan will be a talent in few years
That's where I disagree. If he's good enough, he's old enough now. Why wait when you've top level talent like Andrew Porter or James Ryan? I'd be disappointed if he isn't performing on the same level as Max Deegan next season and internationally capped within 2 years. He's that good.

That's where I disagree. If he's good enough, he's old enough now. Why wait when you've top level talent like Andrew Porter or James Ryan? I'd be disappointed if he isn't performing on the same level as Max Deegan next season and internationally capped within 2 years. He's that good.
But physically he isn't up to full on senior games yet. That is the evidence they had from the few games he has played but I agree if they'r good enough throw them in but I think the opportunity wasn't there yet. Like it not to often a current U20 forward starts too many senior games in same season

It's hard to see Munster with any silverware this season between the change of management mid-season and now the list of injury woes. It's really disheartening to lose Tyler, Farrell, Williams and probably Earls at this point in the season. I'm hoping we can still scrape a semi-final at least, but my expectations have been significantly lowered.

I particularly hope that Earls doesn't miss much time. He's had bad luck with injuries in the past, and is in the form of his life at the moment. We have some decent options to cover for him on the wing, but not up to the same level.

For what it's worth Earls is all speculation. He is in for scans tomorrow. The news on the others was known for past 2 weeks. Tyler is at a crossroads unfortunately. Duncan smashed his cheekbone and Chris Farrell well we all know there.
Jaco Taute is still battling and may make SA tour.

For what it's worth Earls is all speculation. He is in for scans tomorrow. The news on the others was known for past 2 weeks. Tyler is at a crossroads unfortunately. Duncan smashed his cheekbone and Chris Farrell well we all know there.
Jaco Taute is still battling and may make SA tour.
How much longer has Tyler Bleyendaal left to run on his contract? He's looked really good when fit but his fitness has been an issue.

How much longer has Tyler Bleyendaal left to run on his contract? He's looked really good when fit but his fitness has been an issue.
Has this year and next left. And well will be IQ so hopefully we can strike a deal with him. Obviously the next few weeks will decide that. Has been good when fit as you say but needs to have run of games to be on form. Issue is insurance. He has only been fit for 1 out of 4 seasons.

I think he brings more to the table than Ian Keatley but, as you say, injuries have bedeviled him. Forgot that he's now IQ which is certainly an advantage. There aren't many IQ flyhalves around with his quality. Will be interesting to see if Munster offer him an extension should his injury woes continue next season. His talent deserves one but if he's not on the field, he's not value for money.

I think he brings more to the table than Ian Keatley but, as you say, injuries have bedeviled him. Forgot that he's now IQ which is certainly an advantage. There aren't many IQ flyhalves around with his quality. Will be interesting to see if Munster offer him an extension should his injury woes continue next season. His talent deserves one but if he's not on the field, he's not value for money.
Any deal already is known to be with a few clauses. Insurance and all that side kick in too. Yes he has the talent of Keatley by a bit but as you point out isn't worth the wage if just a waterboy. And with JJ struggling it will be a big opportunity for Bill Johnston

Keith's scan came back fairly ok. Not good for us short term but his season isn't over by long shot

But physically he isn't up to full on senior games yet. That is the evidence they had from the few games he has played

To me, I don't see the issue with not quite being physically "ready".

It just means you have to learn to add more to your game rather than relying on brute force.

i.e. get your feet right before receiving the ball so you can change direction as you get the ball to hit an arm rather than shoulder and have your outside leg pumping when you do enter the tackle so you've a better chance of riding through it. That kind of stuff is better learnt now than when your faced with a man of equal grunt in a test match or final and when your more set in your ways.

There would be a lot to be said for under age matches being run in terms of size and weight rather than age.

I'd like to see O'Sullivan get similar minutes as Deegan gets for Leinster next year. I'd agree if you're good enough you're old enough, but the physical step up in his position especially will be no small thing and we have a lot of talent at 6 and 8. I like how he looks to evade contact, but he'd have to ship some big hits regardless. Someone ask him if he'd be willing to play 10......

To me, I don't see the issue with not quite being physically "ready".

It just means you have to learn to add more to your game rather than relying on brute force.

i.e. get your feet right before receiving the ball so you can change direction as you get the ball to hit an arm rather than shoulder and have your outside leg pumping when you do enter the tackle so you've a better chance of riding through it. That kind of stuff is better learnt now than when your faced with a man of equal grunt in a test match or final and when your more set in your ways.

There would be a lot to be said for under age matches being run in terms of size and weight rather than age.
Not building up brute more as you say learning the footwork and recovering faster after bigger hits.
I agree you learn better in matches etc but he needs to learn a few more bits.

Joey Carbery is set to sign a two year contract to save Munster rugby.

He's a quality player, really sorry to see him leave Leinster. It's a good move for Irish rugby if he plays 10.

As an aside, what will this do to Bill Johnston? He's 21, only a year younger than Carbery, and still no closer to seeing significant action. It'd be wise of him to head to Ulster.

The lack of gametime Johnstone has got this year is bizzare given how mediocre Keatley and Hanrahan are. And we complain about Carbery! If Bleyendaal isn't fit next year Munster should throw caution to the wind and go with Carbery and Johnstone as their number 1 and 2. They're not going to win anything with the current bunch so they might as well give youth a chance.

It's a good move for Irish rugby if he plays 10.

Especially outside Conor Murray.

What you lose compared to J10 in commanding the field, you might gain with greater understanding with M9.

As an aside, what will this do to Bill Johnston? He's 21, only a year younger than Carbery, and still no closer to seeing significant action. It'd be wise of him to head to Ulster.

Doesn't look great for him. Although not sure if he is what we'd need right now. Big noises being made about Michael Lowry coming through, so I'd be keen not to make a log-jam of youngsters in front of him for too long.

How are Connacht stacked for 10s at the minute?

[Carbery was a 1 season exception for me due to 2019 world cup - which we have to go with the goal of winning it.]