• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

Spending the money on better coaching as Munster have done is far wiser than spending it on Handré Polland. Shift JJ Hanrahan to 12 and use Tyler Bleyendaal as primary backup to Joey Carbery.
Agreed but anyone watching the 20's will know we have talented 10s there too.

Agreed but anyone watching the 20's will know we have talented 10s there too.
Not disputing that at all. Ben Healy and Jake Flannery both have talent but Munster's track record is to give nobody significant game time before the age of 29! Look at Bill Johnston!

Who do you prefer out of Healy and Flannery? I think Healy is more polished and may have slightly more about him but it's a great position to be in having both emerge at the same time.

Not disputing that at all. Ben Healy and Jake Flannery both have talent but Munster's track record is to give nobody significant game time before the age of 29! Look at Bill Johnston!

Who do you prefer out of Healy and Flannery? I think Healy is more polished and may have slightly more about him but it's a great position to be in having both emerge at the same time.
You are right and wrong here. Johnston is a superb talent but his lack of time is being over exaggerated in terms of when you factor in his injuries he was rarely available when up to speed. But also I believe he lost a bit of game from the prolonged absence from game time. So like remembering his talents as an U20 is wrong as he is not the same player.
But with a polished ex world class 10 calling the attack I feel both our young 10's will get time if they perform in camp. Add in JVG is a huge fan of using youth and did use that this season once he knew what he had. I prefer Healy myself but as you say both are lovely players and can be effective at 15 too.

You are right and wrong here. Johnston is a superb talent but his lack of time is being over exaggerated in terms of when you factor in his injuries he was rarely available when up to speed. But also I believe he lost a bit of game from the prolonged absence from game time. So like remembering his talents as an U20 is wrong as he is not the same player.
But with a polished ex world class 10 calling the attack I feel both our young 10's will get time if they perform in camp. Add in JVG is a huge fan of using youth and did use that this season once he knew what he had. I prefer Healy myself but as you say both are lovely players and can be effective at 15 too.

His selections say otherwise. POM and Stander were running on fumes by the end of the season while Haley - who was ordinary all season - played nearly every minute he was available.

His selections say otherwise. POM and Stander were running on fumes by the end of the season while Haley - who was ordinary all season - played nearly every minute he was available.
True but Nash played alot and moat who were available played. We didn't have huge amount of youth at the level. CJ played his least amount of minutes for Munster too. Wasn't shattered but more just needs variation of game as he has said himself. POM played alot I accept but he was instructed at times too

Larkham a done deal and the announcement is imminent according to Tony Leen of the Irish examiner.

Confirmed now as senior coach. 3 year deal.
The backs will run really sexy, intricate lines chasing after Conor Murray's box kicks.

While there are mixed reports as to his coaching ability (or rather style he had the Brumbies playing), he'll surely be an upgrade on what went before. Good appointment.

Hopefully the new coaches trust in younger players who clearly have talent because it's an area Munster haven't been proactive enough in before now. Jack O'Sullivan, John Hodnett and Craig Casey are good enough to contend for the first choice 23 immediately.

The backs will run really sexy, intricate lines chasing after Conor Murray's box kicks.

While there are mixed reports as to his coaching ability (or rather style he had the Brumbies playing), he'll surely be an upgrade on what went before. Good appointment.

Hopefully the new coaches trust in younger players who clearly have talent because it's an area Munster haven't been proactive enough in before now. Jack O'Sullivan, John Hodnett and Craig Casey are good enough to contend for the first choice 23 immediately.
In fairness it is more a case of Conor brought the Irish style back with him. Stats hugely prove that. Equally think that Larkham will be a good man to think it through and will suit us. Won't be too agressive in attack but will have flair as an attack structure and as an ex 10 will have that style vision.

On young lads Jack is a cousnin of the Scannells and is the same narky style and will I'm sure get a chance. Craig will 100% if he doesn't have to get an op and Josh is a tough nut too but backrow is a beast of competition in every province.

Also Dave Foley possibly going to Ulster and Paddy Butler rumoured to be in talks with the west

Say we need one more coach, a lot has said about getting a skills coach, sounds like a very good idea. When Rassie came in we had 5, Rassie, Foley, Flannery, Jones, Nienaber. Never really understood why we've insisted on 4 since Foley's passing.

Say we need one more coach, a lot has said about getting a skills coach, sounds like a very good idea. When Rassie came in we had 5, Rassie, Foley, Flannery, Jones, Nienaber. Never really understood why we've insisted on 4 since Foley's passing.
Rassie was a DoR not a coach. And if we get a new coach it will be low key name as in a priven skills coach from closer to home.

Rassie was a DoR not a coach. And if we get a new coach it will be low key name as in a priven skills coach from closer to home.

Wouldn't mind having a DOR. Think Rassie actually was involved in the day to day training beforehand. O Shea would be perfect IMO.

If we do go down the route of a skills coach. I'd agree, we don't think the need to be established like we've already brought in. And having one home grown coach could be a plus.

Wouldn't mind having a DOR. Think Rassie actually was involved in the day to day training beforehand. O Shea would be perfect IMO.

If we do go down the route of a skills coach. I'd agree, we don't think the need to be established like we've already brought in. And having one home grown coach could be a plus.
Rassie was there but wasn't ever an actuve front line coach for us. Axel and Fla were always the main forwards lads.

Larkham and Rowntree seem like two good appointments for Munster. I assume Larkham is coming in a similar role to Lancaster with us which seems like a good move. Whether he'll be as successful as Lancaster remains to be seen but it seems like the right move all the same.

From the Examiner. Click the link for the full article:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...host-munster-leinster-rugby-clash-944271.html

Negotiations to play a ground-breaking Guinness PRO14 rugby clash between Munster and Leinster at Páirc Ui Chaoimh this Christmas are at an advanced though delicate stage, Examiner Sport understands.

If it stacks up financially, it's a great move. The Cork metro area has a far bigger population than Limerick. Cork is also providing the bulk new talent coming into the squad. Munster need to protect and grow that supporter base.

If it stacks up financially, it's a great move. The Cork metro area has a far bigger population than Limerick. Cork is also providing the bulk new talent coming into the squad. Munster need to protect and grow that supporter base.
Would be class not only because I live in Cork now. Appetite is in Cork and Munster rugby to play more here but the obvious issue is stadia. I think the novelty of a real game in Cork would attract people in droves, but the issue of gate receipts may be a barrier to it being more than an annual event. Of course the knockout games that can't be played in Thomond moving to Pairc Úi Chaoimh and not the Aviva would be massive for us if the IRFU and Munster can make the finances work.

Unfortunately this is about a month old and has passed to talks have broken down for a number of reasons.
- Season Tickets are sold and priced on a certain list and Thomond Park is the pricing for the game so financial restructure will have to be made.
- The GAA are asking for extreme amounts which actually make it less of a reward than Thomond for Munster.
- The pitch is not certain to meet standards as an inspection is required and the GAA are not willing to give any required commitment on this.

The aim I presume s more that this can be a designated venue in the event of a home semifinal or something in Europe. I don't think it is Munster trying to remove or let down fan base as they have tried and continue to try develop and use Cork for all fan events and underage and A games as bases. It is more the cost to rebuild another stadium of required size is not really financially viable and well others who have those stadiums are not willing to jump through red tape.

We've signed Jed Holloway from the Tags for two months starting end of September. Paddy Butler has also trained with Munster in the last few weeks but nothing official right now.
I would rather see us use our youth players right now. I don't care how many we are missing this is kneejerk stuff that adds nothing to the squad long-term while the World Cup is a chance for younger players to kick start their careers. In the row we have Holland as the elder statesman and then Sean O'Conner, Wycherley and Darren O'Shea with three academy guys. In back row we have Botha, Cloete, Coombes, Jack O, Oliver and then Hodnett and O'Sullivan, both good enough in the academy.

We've signed Jed Holloway from the Tags for two months starting end of September. Paddy Butler has also trained with Munster in the last few weeks but nothing official right now.
I would rather see us use our youth players right now. I don't care how many we are missing this is kneejerk stuff that adds nothing to the squad long-term while the World Cup is a chance for younger players to kick start their careers. In the row we have Holland as the elder statesman and then Sean O'Conner, Wycherley and Darren O'Shea with three academy guys. In back row we have Botha, Cloete, Coombes, Jack O, Oliver and then Hodnett and O'Sullivan, both good enough in the academy.
He's a good signing but I agree with you, there comes a time when Munster have to back their youth. John Hodnett and Jack O'Sullivan are more than good enough to step up for a couple of months. What are the odds on a Botha, Cloete, Holloway starting backrow?

It becomes a continuous cycle. Munster sign stopgaps instead of promoting from within. Leinster give their young players game time to develop but these players move elsewhere due to lack of game time in big games. Munster sign the young Leinster player because their own youth hasn't gotten enough experience!

If the talent wasn't there it'd be understandable but Munster has a ton of young talent in it's ranks which would be the envy of most teams.

On another note, Dave Kilcoyne must be pushing Cian Healy hard for the Ireland #1 shirt. He's in phenomenal form. Cian Healy will keep the jersey due to the body of work behind him but on form, it's the Munster player who deserves to start.

Latest posts