• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

Also shout out to Nick McCarthy who was really tidy last night. Not a lot of love for him among Munster fans when he was signed, but he could be very valuable to the squad with Cronin long term injured. Pass looks pretty crisp and he's nippy to rucks.

So Murray Kinsella has just fabricated a story for the craic? Doubt the lad will go but I believe the article.
No he hasn't fabricated but agents have jobs to do. I can 100% say Ben is going nowhere. How many stories similar to this have we heard in the past.
Wait and see there is a lot even at Leinster out next season. It is all about getting to top of Q to get sorted.

Add in Healy, Furlong, Fardy, Toner, Ronan Kelleher and rumoured that Max Deegan all up in summer as well as Sexton, Frawley and supposedly Jimmy O B in backs. Reckon agents won't use same tactics with some of them.

Last edited:
I am very interested to see who we go with for Quins. I think in general the team has picked itself for the last few years, but a few guys must surely break in. Here's what I would go with.

1. Cronin - In very good form
2. O'Byrne - O'Byrne a serious late bloomer. Think it serves us really well to have a forward with ball handling like Kevin O'Byrne in the side
3. Archer - Very happy with his form. He cam back from lockdown in clearly way better shape. Ryan for me doesn't just walk into the team
4. Kleyn - I would imagine Kleyn won't be at risk of losing his spot.
5. Beirne/ Wycherley. International player get the nod I'd imagine. Two players who are probably better 6s right now than SRs.
6. Stander - That's right folks, its that hyped backrow fans want
7. O'Mahony - Worked well at international. This will let us get our best players on the pitch. O'Mahony will not really block anyone in the 7 jersey with Hodnett long term injured.
8. Coombes - The Christ Child gets the 8 jersey
9. Casey - I fully understand Murray may well start and I don't think it would harm us hugely, but I hope Casey gets the nod beause he has the most gametime with Healy, as well as being the future (tm)
10. Healy - Don't think Healy has won the jersey outright yet, but his goal kicking alone makes me want him over Hanrahan who has a tendancy to miss the important kicks.
11. Earls - Walks straight into the team right now imo.
12. De Allende - No brainer
13. Farrell - I would really like a faster and more creative 13 than Farrell, but we make do
14. Conway - Was not great for Ireland, but I don't think Nash or Sweetnam has really done enough to oust him either. He's also consistently class for us, even if not for Ireland.
15. Haley/ Daly. Either is fine by me. Fullback will be very busy with Quins I'd imagine. I really don't know which way this decision will go. Would be harsh to bench either player.

16. Marshall
17. Wycherley
18. Ryan - I would almost have Knox
19. Wycherley
20. O'Donoghue
21. Murray
22. Hanrahan
23. Goggin (?)

Cronin, KOB, Archer (Wycherley, Marshall, Ryan)
Wycherley, Kleyn (Beirne)
CJ, POM, Coombes (JOD)
Casey, Healy (Murray, JJ)
Earls, DDA, Farrell, Conway/Daly
Haley (Daly/Goggin)

Munster, Leinster and Ulster all undefeated. It must be an exciting time for rugby fans in Ireland right now. Have fun!

I am very interested to see who we go with for Quins. I think in general the team has picked itself for the last few years, but a few guys must surely break in. Here's what I would go with.

1. Cronin - In very good form
2. O'Byrne - O'Byrne a serious late bloomer. Think it serves us really well to have a forward with ball handling like Kevin O'Byrne in the side
3. Archer - Very happy with his form. He cam back from lockdown in clearly way better shape. Ryan for me doesn't just walk into the team
4. Kleyn - I would imagine Kleyn won't be at risk of losing his spot.
5. Beirne/ Wycherley. International player get the nod I'd imagine. Two players who are probably better 6s right now than SRs.
6. Stander - That's right folks, its that hyped backrow fans want
7. O'Mahony - Worked well at international. This will let us get our best players on the pitch. O'Mahony will not really block anyone in the 7 jersey with Hodnett long term injured.
8. Coombes - The Christ Child gets the 8 jersey
9. Casey - I fully understand Murray may well start and I don't think it would harm us hugely, but I hope Casey gets the nod beause he has the most gametime with Healy, as well as being the future (tm)
10. Healy - Don't think Healy has won the jersey outright yet, but his goal kicking alone makes me want him over Hanrahan who has a tendancy to miss the important kicks.
11. Earls - Walks straight into the team right now imo.
12. De Allende - No brainer
13. Farrell - I would really like a faster and more creative 13 than Farrell, but we make do
14. Conway - Was not great for Ireland, but I don't think Nash or Sweetnam has really done enough to oust him either. He's also consistently class for us, even if not for Ireland.
15. Haley/ Daly. Either is fine by me. Fullback will be very busy with Quins I'd imagine. I really don't know which way this decision will go. Would be harsh to bench either player.

16. Marshall
17. Wycherley
18. Ryan - I would almost have Knox
19. Wycherley
20. O'Donoghue
21. Murray
22. Hanrahan
23. Goggin (?)

Cronin, KOB, Archer (Wycherley, Marshall, Ryan)
Wycherley, Kleyn (Beirne)
CJ, POM, Coombes (JOD)
Casey, Healy (Murray, JJ)
Earls, DDA, Farrell, Conway/Daly
Haley (Daly/Goggin)
Based on trainings -
Frontrow is correct based on form.
2nd Row looks like it will be as you have selected. Backrow also.
Murray looks like he will start with Casey being injected from bench.
In backs Haley has been superb and deserves 15 shirt. Unfortunately for Shane Daly the international window ruined his momentum and others took advantage, Possible that he and R. Scannell are 22 and 23.

Based on trainings -
Frontrow is correct based on form.
2nd Row looks like it will be as you have selected. Backrow also.
Murray looks like he will start with Casey being injected from bench.
In backs Haley has been superb and deserves 15 shirt. Unfortunately for Shane Daly the international window ruined his momentum and others took advantage, Possible that he and R. Scannell are 22 and 23.
Interesting. I have no major issues with Murray starting right now. Casey will be class off the bench you'd imagine. Any idea on who will play 10?
I don't disagree on Haley, he has done nothing to warrant dropping for Daly which is very unfortunate for Daly. If we go for a back three player on the bench, having Scannell in as well makes sense. I would assume I have the backline correct bar Casey (centres/wings)?

Interesting. I have no major issues with Murray starting right now. Casey will be class off the bench you'd imagine. Any idea on who will play 10?
I don't disagree on Haley, he has done nothing to warrant dropping for Daly which is very unfortunate for Daly. If we go for a back three player on the bench, having Scannell in as well makes sense. I would assume I have the backline correct bar Casey (centres/wings)?
Looks like Healy at 10. Rory covers 10, 12 and Shane 13,11,14,15

If Healy starts he's got to be headed for the Ireland squad. Think Harry Byrne has the higher ceiling but also has more competition at club level and might have to wait until the interpros to show what he can do.

If Healy starts he's got to be headed for the Ireland squad. Think Harry Byrne has the higher ceiling but also has more competition at club level and might have to wait until the interpros to show what he can do.
To be fair having seen enough of them. I think both have huge futures and wouldn't say 1 is clearly ahead of the other. 2 very different styles though. Healy has better kicking game, Byrne probably the better all round game.

Issue for Harry as I said in other thread is if he is stuck in traffic then is development and ceiling takes a hit. He needs to at least be in 22 jersey and own it. if not the 10. The interpros will be a waste this year as they come after so many high profile games that if he doesn't get in to European squad then I'd be slightly worried.

Ross Byrne vs Harry Byrne should be the same narration as Mike Haley vs Shane Daly.

Tough to say on ceilings I think. Harry probably more of an athlete and game breaker, Healy a very good game manager with a massive boot. Both players worth being excited about. I do think Healy has the clearer path to Ireland right now with what's around him. A fit Joey Carberry would probably have altered his career trajectory hugely, but the pieces have fallen really well for him. I think Farrell has basically said he will pick players when they've shown up in Europe.

Has Daly played 13 before? To my mind it's a position we could really do with another option in. Might it be worth Daly trying a 13 focus? Farrell is a decent and honest player, but he doesn't have the pace or skills I would like in a 13. An alternative to what we have now at the very least would be good.

I would certainly imagine players' gametime will be heavily managed for the interpro games.

Tough to say on ceilings I think. Harry probably more of an athlete and game breaker, Healy a very good game manager with a massive boot. Both players worth being excited about. I do think Healy has the clearer path to Ireland right now with what's around him. A fit Joey Carberry would probably have altered his career trajectory hugely, but the pieces have fallen really well for him. I think Farrell has basically said he will pick players when they've shown up in Europe.

Has Daly played 13 before? To my mind it's a position we could really do with another option in. Might it be worth Daly trying a 13 focus? Farrell is a decent and honest player, but he doesn't have the pace or skills I would like in a 13. An alternative to what we have now at the very least would be good.

I would certainly imagine players' gametime will be heavily managed for the interpro games.

Pretty sure Daly was a centre at 20s so presumably there's a good reason he moved position.

Due to their lack of injured internationals Munster's selection is the one I'm most interested in, will say a lot about JvG.

Edit: yeah Daly started at 13 in the 2016 JWRC final.

Daly played 13 in the U20 world cup final didn't he? Then again Larmour was an underage centre too and you wouldn't want him there except to cover injury in a game. Could be a similar situation with Daly but I wouldn't know.

On the Byrne Healy thing agreed they're both hugely talented players. Rightly or wrongly Byrne seems higher rated within the IRFU, started ahead of Healy at U20 and been an apprentice (or whatever they call them) this year. I'd bet on Healy being the first to be capped though, things have opened up for him at Munster. He should get the start this weekend and hopefully push into the Ireland squad. Assuming the next few weeks go well for him I'd be optimistic about seeing him on the pitch for the 6N. Think it's only a matter of time before Byrne gets capped too but he's got a lot more in his way at club level.

Easy to see Harry should be ahead of Ross but if you're Leo Cullen and Sexton goes down within 10 minutes on Saturday there's no way you don't want Ross coming on away in France. Especially with even less margin for error than usual this year. Harry will get his chance but I'd be surprised if it's this weekend (assuming Sexton is okay). Would be very harsh on Byrne sr to be left out too. Then again you never know with Sexton's leg and Leo's love of rotation, wouldn't be surprised by 10. Ross 22. Harry or even the reverse. Still for Leinster this week I'm more hopeful about seeing Frawley/Baird start.

Last edited:
Daly was a 13 that transformed to a back 3 player. Has played there for our A team a few times too in a few games.

On Byrne jr. He deserves at the moment to be seen as better option to Healy simply on he has the better all round game. Healy though shines better as his style is suited to our game. And Larkham is having the input too

It is more a case of Ben will continue to develop you feel and with JJ likely gone at end of season it opens up a lovely battle with Crowley in years to come with Joey a 10/12/15 option.
As for Harry though it is vital in the next year he really kicks on too. If Sexton hangs on for another 2 years like he is saying and Ross is still ahead then that will hamper someone.

Munster: Mike Haley; Keith Earls, Chris Farrell, Damian de Allende, Shane Daly; JJ Hanrahan, Conor Murray; James Cronin, Rhys Marshall, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Gavin Coombes, Peter O'Mahony (C), CJ Stander.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, Dave Kilcoyne, Stephen Archer, Fineen Wycherley, Jack O'Donoghue, Craig Casey, Ben Healy, Rory Scannell.

No massive surprises here really, bar maybe some expected Killer to start and perhaps Archer over Ryan. Strong side, really solid bench and this game is a good yard stick for the team. Result shouldn't be massively important in terms of points etc, but a win is long overdue for us.

Edit: KO'B also unlucky not to get a look.

Last edited:
Munster: Mike Haley; Keith Earls, Chris Farrell, Damian de Allende, Shane Daly; JJ Hanrahan, Conor Murray; James Cronin, Rhys Marshall, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Gavin Coombes, Peter O'Mahony (C), CJ Stander.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, Dave Kilcoyne, Stephen Archer, Fineen Wycherley, Jack O'Donoghue, Craig Casey, Ben Healy, Rory Scannell.

No massive surprises here really, bar maybe some expected Killer to start and perhaps Archer over Ryan. Strong side, really solid bench and this game is a good yard stick for the team. Result shouldn't be massively important in terms of points etc, but a win is long overdue for us.

Edit: KO'B also unlucky not to get a look.
Strong Munster team, only thing I'd think is maybe the front row wouldn't add a lot in open play? Otherwise probably the strongest Munster team I've seen in years. Your pair of giant centres better lay off our Garry's poor jaw though.

Strong Munster team, only thing I'd think is maybe the front row wouldn't add a lot in open play? Otherwise probably the strongest Munster team I've seen in years. Your pair of giant centres better lay off our Garry's poor jaw though.
Yeah agreed, if you're picking a front row on carrying merits it would probably be Kilcoyne, O'Byrne and...... well Salanoa, but he's not in the starter conversation. Failing that Knox is a decent carrier. Guys picked do have their merits though. Cronin has been defensively great for us and has got a lot of turnovers for us. Marshall's set piece is probably the most solid and he's reputed to be a good scrummager. Ryan is really an unknown quantity right now, he's not played all that much in recent months.

Yeah agreed, if you're picking a front row on carrying merits it would probably be Kilcoyne, O'Byrne and...... well Salanoa, but he's not in the starter conversation. Failing that Knox is a decent carrier. Guys picked do have their merits though. Cronin has been defensively great for us and has got a lot of turnovers for us. Marshall's set piece is probably the most solid and he's reputed to be a good scrummager. Ryan is really an unknown quantity right now, he's not played all that much in recent months.
KOB only rested/rotated as in Niall Scannell deserves a chance but is in uphill battle. Andrew Conway is back too and not far away. Frontrow JW is same as KOB has played a huge amount so rotation and Killer trying to make Irish camp.

Hey guys, welcome back to my personal thread.

Good business today as Niall and Rory Scannell, Jack O'Donoghue, Craig Casey, Shane Daly and Calvin Nash have all signed two-year extensions while Liam Coombes and Alex McHenry have put pen to paper on one-year deals. Happy with all of that. Rory maybe the only guy I thought might walk, but he's hugely valuable in a domestic season. Coombes and McHenry very clearly being given a season to show something.

Also heavily rumored Earls is staying on a 1yr with O'Mahony and Stander on 2 years. Could have seen O'Mahony and Earls heading away, but at the same time I doubt anyone is paying huge right now and both have young families. CJ was never being let go.

Maybe a bit early to speculate on outgoings bar Alex Wootton signing LT for Connacht as I'm sure we will have another announcement like this.

Stolen from thomond2006 on boards.

Diarmuid Barron 2021
Kevin O'Byrne 2022
Rhys Marshall 2021
Niall Scannell 2023

Scott Buckley Year 1
Eoghan Clarke Year 3

James Cronin 2021
Dave Kilcoyne 2023
Liam O'Connor 2022
Jeremy Loughman 2022

James French Year 3
Josh Wycherley Year 3

Stephen Archer 2022
Keynan Knox 2022
John Ryan 2022
Roman Salanoa 2022

Tadhg Beirne 2022
Billy Holland 2021
Jean Kleyn 2022
RG Snyman 2022
Fineen Wycherley 2021

Thomas Ahern Year 3
Paddy Kelly Year 2
Eoin O'Connor Year 2

Gavin Coombes 2021
Chris Cloete 2022
Tommy O'Donnell 2021
Jack O'Donoghue 2023
Peter O'Mahony 2021
Jack O'Sullivan 2023
CJ Stander 2021

Jack Daly Year 3
John Hodnett Year 2
Alex Kendellen Year 1

Craig Casey 2023
Neil Cronin 2021
Nick McCarthy 2021
Conor Murray 2022

Joey Carbery 2022
JJ Hanrahan 2021

Jack Crowley Year 1
Jake Flannery Year 2
Ben Healy Year 3

Damian de Allende 2022
Chris Farrell 2022
Dan Goggin 2022
Alex McHenry 2022
Rory Scannell 2023

Sean French Year 3

Andrew Conway 2023
Liam Coombes 2022
Shane Daly 2023
Keith Earls 2021
Matt Gallagher 2022
Mike Haley 2021
Calvin Nash 2023
Darren Sweetnam 2021

Jonathan Wren Year 3

2021/22 NIEs:
RG Snyman (capped), Damian de Allende (capped)

Latest posts