• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

So we now have 10 positives in the SA group, including staff and players. Remaining 38 guys are clear to travel if they can continue to return negative tests, which is positive just from a personal POV.

Preempt this by saying that obviously rugby is secondary to player health and everyone getting back safely, but I was curious where our squad stands in the event that our entire touring SA squad cannot play in our European opener vs Wasps and here's what I have. Probably have a few players wrong, but you can generally see we won't be able to fulfill a fixture without significant loan signings and a raft of very young academy players being involved, which imo is not really a runner.

Senior players not in SA: James French, Dave Kilcoyne, Declan Moore, Tadhg Beirne, Peter O'Mahony, Joey Carbery, Conor Murray, Rowan Osborne, Damien De Allende, Andrew Conway, Keith Earls, Craig Casey.

Academy not in SA: Mark Donnelly (YR1), Scott Buckley (YR2), Eoin O'Connor (YR3), Daniel Okeke (YR1), Tony Butler (YR1), Patrick Campbell (YR1), Ethan Coughlan (YR1)

Injured Senior players: John Hodnett, Calvin Nash, RG Snyman, Roman Salanoa, Chris Farrell.

Injured Academy players: Edwin Odogbo, Paddy Kelly. Conor Philips and Johnathan Wren listed as injured, may now be fit.

Other: Alex McHenry is on loan with Wasps.

This leaves us to my mind with a provisional matchday squad of:
1. Kilcoyne
2. Moore
3. ??
4. O'Connor
5. Beirne
6. O'Mahony
7. ??
8. Okeke
9. Murray
10. Carbery
11. Earls
12. De Allende
13. ??
14. Wren/Philips/Campbell
15. Conway.
Subs
16. ??
17. French
18. ??
19. ??
20. ??
21. Casey
22. Butler
23. Campbell/Philips/Wren
Unfortunately Craig Casey is with us here. Arrived the morning of the breakdown.
We have some lads like Tommy O'Donnell training with lads back in Limerick and trying to get a few out of SA tonight. These will be cleared if back in Ireland tomorrow.

Rumours too there is talks we may be allowed "loan" 10 players from other provinces. And well I believe the AIL is being emptied back home looking for guys.

If we were to get a result against Wasps it'd be up there with our miracle games.

Unfortunately Craig Casey is with us here. Arrived the morning of the breakdown.
We have some lads like Tommy O'Donnell training with lads back in Limerick and trying to get a few out of SA tonight. These will be cleared if back in Ireland tomorrow.

Rumours too there is talks we may be allowed "loan" 10 players from other provinces. And well I believe the AIL is being emptied back home looking for guys.

If we were to get a result against Wasps it'd be up there with our miracle games.
Ok interesting. Knew Casey may have been out. We would certainly need around 10 more guys to have a legitimate squad for the run up to Wasps. Can we expect a Billy Holland comeback? If we have to run with AIL guys I fully agree, any kind of result would be momentous and one of the best in our history. There's probably a few lads Leinster could afford to loan for the game who wouldn't fill me with dread like Abaladze, Josh Murphy or an O'Brien. A year 3 guy like Turner and Moloney maybe as well.

It could get very messy.
Latest I'm hearing is the fact it was URC responsible for the planning and Munster (or Cardiff also) followed all protocols that it not as easy awarding a 28-0 win.
But it may make the seedings more fun come knockout time.

Ok interesting. Knew Casey may have been out. We would certainly need around 10 more guys to have a legitimate squad for the run up to Wasps. Can we expect a Billy Holland comeback? If we have to run with AIL guys I fully agree, any kind of result would be momentous and one of the best in our history. There's probably a few lads Leinster could afford to loan for the game who wouldn't fill me with dread like Abaladze, Josh Murphy or an O'Brien. A year 3 guy like Turner and Moloney maybe as well.
Is the issue with loans not that they'd end up being cup tied and unable to play for Leinster if needed? If there's some way around that can't imagine anyone would object though.

Tighthead seems like the big problem.

Cheers lads. Could be worst. Am fully vaccined and well have Netflix and Hotel isn't the worst.

None of us from what I can see on our group chat are bad thankfully. More frustrated just that the same 4 walls can drain you.

Rest of lads should be home by now and will be isolating at their homes and not Carton House or the K Club etc. But strangely anyone that knows UL. They can go on walks at quiet times and stay away from most. Not sure how that works but UL is open so they may come at a quiet time if we train at different stage. But it looks like we will have a decent squad available hopefully and also lads will get kits to train at home.
Bigger challenge will be most lads will have done very little for bones of 2 weeks before kick off.

Cheers lads. Could be worst. Am fully vaccined and well have Netflix and Hotel isn't the worst.

None of us from what I can see on our group chat are bad thankfully. More frustrated just that the same 4 walls can drain you.

Rest of lads should be home by now and will be isolating at their homes and not Carton House or the K Club etc. But strangely anyone that knows UL. They can go on walks at quiet times and stay away from most. Not sure how that works but UL is open so they may come at a quiet time if we train at different stage. But it looks like we will have a decent squad available hopefully and also lads will get kits to train at home.
Bigger challenge will be most lads will have done very little for bones of 2 weeks before kick off.
Out of interest @munstermuffin, I assume most lads will be back for when you play us on the 12th?

Thinking about future games, if the guys isolate for 10 days from today/tomorrow, then they would back back the day before or the day of the 12th?

Out of interest @munstermuffin, I assume most lads will be back for when you play us on the 12th?

Thinking about future games, if the guys isolate for 10 days from today/tomorrow, then they would back back the day before or the day of the 12th?
Good article here on it. Don't think its paywalled. In theory the lads' quarantine ends the 11th. Muff may have a more concrete answer, but I would imagine that the squad will still mostly be our internationals and academy lads. We may get guys like Chris Farrell or Roman Salanoa back this week.

We will HAVE to fill in a few spots (especially props) from either loans from the other provinces/ bringing in fringe club players who may have played Munster A this season (which probably requires a rule change) OR from asking lads a day out of quarantine to play. Neither is ideal, but I think the lads out of quarantine option is more realistic at this point, as we would have to push for a vote to a rule change, then line up loans and try get them up to speed. Probably better a horribly underprepared player who at least knows the system than a loanee who also may not have significant game time under their belt coming in Barbarians style.

Off top of my head lads are free from the 11th provided they give negative tests.
Issue is they will have done nothing for 2 weeks which brings welfare issues when you have so many in same boat.

Also issues with the frontrow. Like we can get younger guys BUT it is again not safe to throw so many in to that level.
Also loans could cup tie and exclude them if required from their own province down the line.

See issue is (and this is the reason clubs are on fence) we are the start. This virus is already in Europe and could spread rapid.
So like what happens if it wipes a Leinster or Ulster and they have loads of lads cup tied after helping us.

Also the tournament organizers I believe are worried as walkovers or anything effects seedings etc for knockouts and tips it unfairly in someways.
And harms the tournament as a whole. Like to be honest we could afford to throw game against ye and try win remaining 3 and possibly still qualify. But issue is the fault will be on URC as it wasn't that we broke the bubble or anything and that has all been proven. The URC organisers it could be argued were the ones to have put us in harms way.

Off top of my head lads are free from the 11th provided they give negative tests.
Issue is they will have done nothing for 2 weeks which brings welfare issues when you have so many in same boat.

Also issues with the frontrow. Like we can get younger guys BUT it is again not safe to throw so many in to that level.
Also loans could cup tie and exclude them if required from their own province down the line.

See issue is (and this is the reason clubs are on fence) we are the start. This virus is already in Europe and could spread rapid.
So like what happens if it wipes a Leinster or Ulster and they have loads of lads cup tied after helping us.

Also the tournament organizers I believe are worried as walkovers or anything effects seedings etc for knockouts and tips it unfairly in someways.
And harms the tournament as a whole. Like to be honest we could afford to throw game against ye and try win remaining 3 and possibly still qualify. But issue is the fault will be on URC as it wasn't that we broke the bubble or anything and that has all been proven. The URC organisers it could be argued were the ones to have put us in harms way.
Good article here on it. Don't think its paywalled. In theory the lads' quarantine ends the 11th. Muff may have a more concrete answer, but I would imagine that the squad will still mostly be our internationals and academy lads. We may get guys like Chris Farrell or Roman Salanoa back this week.

We will HAVE to fill in a few spots (especially props) from either loans from the other provinces/ bringing in fringe club players who may have played Munster A this season (which probably requires a rule change) OR from asking lads a day out of quarantine to play. Neither is ideal, but I think the lads out of quarantine option is more realistic at this point, as we would have to push for a vote to a rule change, then line up loans and try get them up to speed. Probably better a horribly underprepared player who at least knows the system than a loanee who also may not have significant game time under their belt coming in Barbarians style.

Its a tough call because obviously as a Wasps fan, the idea of a weakened Munster at our place and the chance to try and rack up full points is tantilizing but as a general rugby fan and wanting to see the best for people and rugby.

2 weeks of nothing is really tough on players and if anyone can vouch that throwing Academy players/loan players into first team action can be extremely difficult (See us vs Sarries, Leicester etc). Poor old academy prop Nearchou was bullied against a full size Quins side recently.

Also i have just realised that i think we still have Alex McHenry on loan from you, I wonder if we can play him against you?

Its a tough call because obviously as a Wasps fan, the idea of a weakened Munster at our place and the chance to try and rack up full points is tantilizing but as a general rugby fan and wanting to see the best for people and rugby.

2 weeks of nothing is really tough on players and if anyone can vouch that throwing Academy players/loan players into first team action can be extremely difficult (See us vs Sarries, Leicester etc). Poor old academy prop Nearchou was bullied against a full size Quins side recently.

Also i have just realised that i think we still have Alex McHenry on loan from you, I wonder if we can play him against you?
McHenry is a month long loan, but wouldn't be surprised if he was quietly extended out to three or something. If he's registered for your Europe squad then absolutely he can play against us. Wouldn't be the first time we've played against a Munster player on loan.

See I think the opposite in some ways. If we have an under strenght team the pressure is on Wasps to get a BP win and it is a no win scenario. Like win well with BP and you're hit with the "sure that is a given" or struggle and it is like "that is terrible against a semi pro team".

But look Wasps can only play as told and we are the same. To be honest I think there a few AIL guys and fringe guys who are licking their lips. This can be a career changer for some. Guys like Roman Salanoa I know are pushing hard to be fit and if he makes it and goes well then it blows the THP position open a bit. AIL guys are looking and thinking if I light this up I can be a pro in UK or France even. The exposure factor is there.

See I think the opposite in some ways. If we have an under strenght team the pressure is on Wasps to get a BP win and it is a no win scenario. Like win well with BP and you're hit with the "sure that is a given" or struggle and it is like "that is terrible against a semi pro team".

But look Wasps can only play as told and we are the same. To be honest I think there a few AIL guys and fringe guys who are licking their lips. This can be a career changer for some. Guys like Roman Salanoa I know are pushing hard to be fit and if he makes it and goes well then it blows the THP position open a bit. AIL guys are looking and thinking if I light this up I can be a pro in UK or France even. The exposure factor is there.
Any word on AIL guys who are with the squad?

Lads. Big rumour Rob Kearney may be signing for Munster. Not sure if I believe it. But an option being considered

Latest posts