• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A league noob

But how many union forwards have made it big in league? [/b]

how many great union players wanna play league for pennys compared to the dollars they make???...

Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101@Apr 16 2006, 03:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
But how many union forwards have made it big in league?

how many great union players wanna play league for pennys compared to the dollars they make???... [/b][/quote]
You only make heaps of money in Union (in Aus at least) if you play for the wallabies, other than that League players probably earn more.

But either way that doesn't change the fact that I can't think of any union forwards who've been able to make a name for themselves in league... even before professionalism, only backs. Mind you, I'm sure that there'd be a few Kiwi forwards like Collins who'd do well, but they wouldn't have the same impact, because they'd be hit harder themselves in the NRL, and would have to get used to the harder tackles.

Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101@Apr 16 2006, 05:06 PM
nah union players hit much harder
pfft, now you're just being biased. It's simple physics... league you get a 10 metre head start to tackle and there are often many men hitting you, AND shoulder charging is legal!

another reason i dont like league is tha the whole structure on how the game is run seems very disorganised, with the rwc, changing format every time.

What position did Andy Farrell play when he played league, as in union he is meant to be a flanker / centre?

BM

Originally posted by loratadine@Apr 16 2006, 09:28 PM
another reason i dont like league is tha the whole structure on how the game is run seems very disorganised, with the rwc, changing format every time.
The international scene in league is pretty shocking... League is basically about the club comps, and the international game comes a far second as a result.

Originally posted by sanzar+Apr 16 2006, 07:08 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-THE CHIROPRACTOR101
@Apr 16 2006, 05:06 PM
nah union players hit much harder
pfft, now you're just being biased. It's simple physics... league you get a 10 metre head start to tackle and there are often many men hitting you, AND shoulder charging is legal! [/b]
hahaha just teasing

but yeh ofcourse in league they hit harder...10metres to target your opponent,get your position and build up speed and strength..that 10 metres allows alot of energy to be built up

where is in union..there is the fine line that meets the scrum and you simply cant give up any space(especially 10 metres) to build up a defensive attack

saying that tho...with guys like jerry collins,brian lima and sam tuitupou running around and consistantly making big hits..id love to see them in league

its hard to judge individuals hits in both codes...becoz of the defensive structures are very different..ofcourse in league tackles are meant to be harder,where rugby is protecting your territory rather than maiming your opponent

i love league but theres alot more brain involved in rugby :lol:

yeah i agree with you chiro, although leage occasionally produces quality thinkers, like benji "the superhuman sidetepping in mid air machine" marshall

Originally posted by loratadine@Apr 17 2006, 08:49 PM
yeah i agree with you chiro, although leage occasionally produces quality thinkers, like benji "the superhuman sidetepping in mid air machine" marshall
Benji? Pffft! Have you heard of this guy named Andrew Johns?

Originally posted by sanzar+Apr 17 2006, 11:19 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-loratadine
@Apr 17 2006, 08:49 PM
Benji? Pffft! Have you heard of this guy named Andrew Johns? [/b]
Nah is he injured or something? I've heard myths about him but I never see him around.

mayn..i dream of the day id see andrew johns play rugby

he is the man no doubt,technically the best player on the league pitch..he deserves to be on a rugby field but i guess that will add to his legacy that he stayed in league even though he has pretty much conquered every part of that game

hed would make a fine rugby player,give him a couple of 1st class games and he will know what to do from there...id love to watch him play in the trinations against the boks and the abs...

his talent would be wasted in union. it is far too risky to use his style of play. faaaaaaar to risky.

Originally posted by Black-Monday@Apr 16 2006, 11:33 AM
What position did Andy Farrell play when he played league, as in union he is meant to be a flanker / centre?

BM
Loose Forward usually but he was better as a second rower. He could also play stand-off.

Originally posted by toothpick+Apr 17 2006, 10:50 PM-->
Originally posted by sanzar@Apr 17 2006, 11:19 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-loratadine
@Apr 17 2006, 08:49 PM

Benji? Pffft! Have you heard of this guy named Andrew Johns?
Nah is he injured or something? I've heard myths about him but I never see him around. [/b]
I guess you missed the State of Origin last year... shame, was an example of how genius can control a game.

Originally posted by sanzar@Apr 16 2006, 04:44 PM
Meh, I personally found league tougher on my fitness because you have to keep back the 10 all the time and you get hit so much harder, but I only ever played in the backs... But how many union forwards have made it big in league? I can't really think of any, but I know that Brad Thorn made the All Blacks.
Yeah, and he played Union as a boy from what i've heard.

And he was overated anyway, by the time he left he was struggling to make the bench for his NPC team.

Latest posts