• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A - not really - Merry Christmas

R

RC

Welcome one, welcome all to my brief "I'm a little ****** off and i want to moan about it" session.

At this time of year, it's always been said that it's the time for giving. And that has been made so blatantly true to me by my employers - it's honestly quite unbelievable.
I currently work for Borders, the bookshop (you may, or may not know where i'm going with this) in Swansea.
I've been plying my trade there ever since the day after i landed back in the Uk from a long spell in America. I was really lucky to get the job, i know loads about books, and i was instantly good at it.
Then things begun to turn sour. Money issues started cropping up more and more and then before i knew it we had officially gone into administration.

A few weeks of hectic sales, hoping that some company would buy out borders and save our jobs and we get the big meeting we've all been waiting for...it just didn't have the content we were hoping for.

"Basically," my boss slurred in his weird, valleys way, "we're f***ed. We're closing up shop on the 22nd, we're gonna chuck the **** out of here over the next 2 days then we're all being let go."
Needless to say i spoke up, "Erm...wait a second. We close on the 22nd, we empty the shop over the next 2 days then we're being let go?"
"Yup."
"On the 24th of December? We're being made redundant as of the end of the working day on Christmas eve?"
"Yeah..."
"Our first day of unemployment will be 25th of december, christmas day?"
I was hastily told to "stop **** stirring", but the staff were already angry.

As you can expect, Borders is not going out with a bang and a pull together can-do attitude that Woolworths went out with (or at least were documented on news as having done so), but with the staff doing what they have always wanted to do:
- Telling any difficult customers to go f*** themselves and walk away.
- Take breaks whenever they want
- Start whenever they want
- Finish whenever they want
- Generally abuse the fact that not even the managers care about the place anymore.

So that's my Christmas. Unemployed. And giving a big middle finger to Borders as we **** on the remains of a company that used to be respected and filled with people who knew what they were talking about (at least in my store anyway)!

That sucks sorry to hear about it tell Santa to give them a stocking full of cat **** and dog s**t.

Yeah really sorry to hear that man. In the mean time, I found something that would brighten uop my spirits, is when there is an annoying customer, who is really bad, call up a mate infront of him and just keep talking till he leaves, it is very funny to watch. I'd also tell the customers the end to the books the purchase, and make it look like a mistake. Anyway, try and have a Merry Christmas all the same, and really sorry to hear your situation.

I feel bad for you, dude. At least you were employed up till Christmas, which means you were able to buy presents for people and what not. That's my half glass full approach to it. Enjoy the holiday, then back to the f'n grind of job hunting. I've been busting my tail since we moved south to Dallas to get a job, and have just landed one, right before Christmas. I'm not saying that to rub it in, I'm saying it because I know how frustrating unemployment can be. Chin up, though. Things could always be worse. I'll be praying that something good job wise comes your way.

Ouch. Good luck.

Aren't the last couple of days before Christmas the busiest of the year? Would expect the administrator to want those sales.

Looks like a difficult jobs market. Lots of retailers closed down last year post-Christmas. Probably same again this time.

sorry to hear that
i was shocked whne i heard about it - the cardiff one is pretty much the same - no-one gives a crap about it anymore

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LydiatesGirl @ Dec 19 2009, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
sorry to hear that
i was shocked whne i heard about it - the cardiff one is pretty much the same - no-one gives a crap about it anymore[/b]

A girl I know works in the Cardiff one, she never told me it was this bad though!

I have absolutely no idea what company you are talking about. But, it sucks. Good luck mate.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Dec 19 2009, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have absolutely no idea what company you are talking about. But, it sucks. Good luck mate.[/b]

I saw on Beeb news this morning that they were closing down. the whole family turned to one another and said "who?"

Sorry to hear it mate, but this is a prime time to stock up your DVD Collection and Book Collection... Shutting 2 days before Christmas is stupid...

Really used to enjoy shopping in Borders... its a shame really... however they can't compete with the giant which is HMV (aka Waterstones)... would not suprise me to see WHSmith go under in the new year, went in there yesterday and it was full of crap and discounts everywhere... At least Borders had a touch of class!

I didn't expect all that support, but i appreciate it greatly, thank you.
Yeah, i'm taking of the situation and stocking up heavily and ridiculously cheap books.
Charlie, it turns out that Waterstones is in big trouble right now as well. HMV posted big losses for this quarter and they're blaming Waterstones.
We're not gonna have a book shop left on the high streets at this rate.

Haha, waiting for the ney year till i do that.
What better way to get a fresh start than a "promise" to look for a job!

Do it tomorrow over the phone otherwise you won't get your entitlement for the week between Christmas and the new year. Seriously, the DWP are ******** if you actually want to work.

Also, 6 months and several THOUSAND applications later and I've had no luck so far... Good hunting bud, it's a shitter at the moment.

Latest posts