• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A - not really - Merry Christmas

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (getofmeland @ Dec 20 2009, 06:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Really used to enjoy shopping in Borders... its a shame really... however they can't compete with the giant which is HMV (aka Waterstones)... would not suprise me to see WHSmith go under in the new year, went in there yesterday and it was full of crap and discounts everywhere... At least Borders had a touch of class![/b]
I thought WHS would go under last year - they're overpriced + they try to do everything (like Woolworths). Anyone with a brain should buy the "everything" stuff in bulk over t'intertubes at half price.

Also, why buy books in the high street? So long as you're happy with postal delivery, the online service is much more informative and gives great bargains. Can't see Waterstones shops surviving.

Much high street carnage on the way.

Please blame Gordon, otherwise the women will take pity and keep voting for him because he's only got one eye.

f***ing hell!

I'm surprised WH Smith has seen the year out as well. A poor Christmas and I can see them toppling.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Dec 19 2009, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Also, why buy books in the high street? So long as you're happy with postal delivery, the online service is much more informative and gives great bargains. Can't see Waterstones shops surviving.[/b]

I think you'll find there are plenty of people out there - myself included - who prefer to buy books in shops.
Granted i do a lot of my shopping on amazon, but there's something special about bookshops.
It's to do with holding the book, you can get an idea of what you're looking at buying. It's just something i dont think i can describe, but a lot of people like browsing books physically rather than scrolling through on line. Online, in my opinion, makes me a little distant from the product, whereas when i have the book in my hand it makes it a little special.
Maybe I'm old fashioned in that sense, maybe i hold a romantic view on books, but this world would be a hollow place without books shops.

Bad times for you, hope you get a new job soon. I was on the dole for 8 weeks and thankfully I have a new job. It may get tiresome when people say you'll get one eventually" but you do.

I went to the borders UK site and just got this letter from the administrator. Sorry to hear about your job loss in this f*cked job enviroment you might as well sit home on the dole drink cheap **** and other harmful ways to pass away the day. :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Dec 22 2009, 04:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Dec 19 2009, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, why buy books in the high street? So long as you're happy with postal delivery, the online service is much more informative and gives great bargains. Can't see Waterstones shops surviving.[/b]

I think you'll find there are plenty of people out there - myself included - who prefer to buy books in shops.
Granted i do a lot of my shopping on amazon, but there's something special about bookshops.
It's to do with holding the book, you can get an idea of what you're looking at buying. It's just something i dont think i can describe, but a lot of people like browsing books physically rather than scrolling through on line. Online, in my opinion, makes me a little distant from the product, whereas when i have the book in my hand it makes it a little special.
Maybe I'm old fashioned in that sense, maybe i hold a romantic view on books, but this world would be a hollow place without books shops.
[/b][/quote]
I used to be a browser, but the shops stock so much rubbish. Plus I got to the stage where novels no longer did it for me.

Admit it - much better to read Amazon comments (after you get past the obvious blurbs) than those twee reflections that bookshop staff pin to the shelves.

I guess the breaking of that restraint-of-trade agreement about prices - mid 1990s? - was the death knell.

Did you get the sack in Borders?! HAW!

You should have worked in B&Q or Tesco or something..

..that is really gay though, I'm sorry mate :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Dec 31 2009, 01:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Admit it - much better to read Amazon comments (after you get past the obvious blurbs) than those twee reflections that bookshop staff pin to the shelves.[/b]

NEVER!!!

Latest posts