• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Can understand William and Harry's feelings about it because she was their mother, but still Diana knew how to manipulate the media to her advantage.

A bit disingenuous to say what happened ultimately contributed to her death. I thought her not wearing a seatbelt did far more.

Can understand William and Harry's feelings about it because she was their mother, but still Diana knew how to manipulate the media to her advantage.

A bit disingenuous to say what happened ultimately contributed to her death. I thought her not wearing a seatbelt did far more.
Yeah but it did contribute to her hounding by press which was why she was in the situation in the first place.

The full details of what Bashir did to get the interview are pretty bad and really shouldn't be done. Whilst Diana did manipulate the press the interview really did make the 'private stuff' fair game as far as they were concerned.

I don't think it is disingenuous and they have the right to say it.

Yeah but it did contribute to her hounding by press which was why she was in the situation in the first place.

The full details of what Bashir did to get the interview are pretty bad and really shouldn't be done. Whilst Diana did manipulate the press the interview really did make the 'private stuff' fair game as far as they were concerned.

I don't think it is disingenuous and they have the right to say it.
I Think it is. The Bashir interview did not directly cause Diana's death. Her not wearing a seatbelt did.

Edit: Fuller extract of Dr Richard Shepherd found here:

Last edited:
That's peak times right during the week?
Scandalous.
According to a quick search, you can get from Manchester to London this afternoon for £66.10. Don't get me wrong, it's still nuts to be paying £30+ per hour / per 100 miles for a roughly 2 hour / 200 mile journey, but it's misleading to say that it costs £100+. No doubt you could make it cost more by travelling at obscure times / going first class / getting an open return, but you certainly don't have to pay that much.

According to a quick search, you can get from Manchester to London this afternoon for £66.10. Don't get me wrong, it's still nuts to be paying £30+ per hour / per 100 miles for a roughly 2 hour / 200 mile journey, but it's misleading to say that it costs £100+. No doubt you could make it cost more by travelling at obscure times / going first class / getting an open return, but you certainly don't have to pay that much.
Most commuters are unlikely to be booking last minute, and planning to arrive in London around 6pm on a Friday.

Or does "Any time on Monday" count as "obscure times"
Prices for this Monday; If you want to arrive before 11.00am; you pay a minimum of £143.60; with £160 odd being the standard.
If you're looking to make it cost more to prove a point; then 2st class is £201

The only weekday which isn't that price at that time of day; is Friday - so again, not exactly the commuter market.

But yeah; if you want to use the train when nobody else does; then it's fine; you can even get that journey down to £25 if you're being obscure. But at a time when anyone actually wants to make the journey...

Attachments

• Trainline 1.jpg
    Trainline 1.jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Trainline 2.jpg
    Trainline 2.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Trainline 3.jpg
    Trainline 3.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I've just registered with the new NHS app. Not that I'm worried about a Vaccine Passport at the moment, but anything that saves me spending time repeatedly ringing my doctor's surgery until it cuts off before trying again is a boon to me.

It looks like the government who in no way want to prevent people who don't have photo ID from voting, have no problem restricting access to this app to them. To get the full functionality, you need to upload a photo of your passport or driving licence. It's ironic to require this level of security given that currently, anyone who sounds like an adult male and knows my name, DOB and the first line of my address is able to access / manipulate the data that this app grants access to if they're patient enough to get through to my GP's surgery by phone.

I won't get full access until my passport / video are verified, but credit where it's due, it looks very good and should make accessing services easier for lots of people.

ETA: you can verify with a "Citizen Card", but there is a cost implication to getting one of these.

Last edited:
I've just registered with the new NHS app. Not that I'm worried about a Vaccine Passport at the moment, but anything that saves me spending time repeatedly ringing my doctor's surgery until it cuts off before trying again is a boon to me.

It looks like the government who in no way want to prevent people who don't have photo ID from voting, have no problem restricting access to this app to them. To get the full functionality, you need to upload a photo of your passport or driving licence. It's ironic to require this level of security given that currently, anyone who sounds like an adult male and knows my name, DOB and the first line of my address is able to access / manipulate the data that this app grants access to if they're patient enough to get through to my GP's surgery by phone.

I won't get full access until my passport / video are verified, but credit where it's due, it looks very good and should make accessing services easier for lots of people.

ETA: you can verify with a "Citizen Card", but there is a cost implication to getting one of these.
Is that right you need to upload a photo of driver's license or passport to get full functionality? My dad said the same thing. I downloaded and it didn't ask me to. Don't know if it's because it's linked to my Evergreen app I downloaded and use also for my GP surgery.

QR code relating to the Covid jabs expires 20 June. Googled it and there are peeps on forums saying that it'll redate for another month once it reaches 20 June.

Is that right you need to upload a photo of driver's license or passport to get full functionality? My dad said the same thing. I downloaded and it didn't ask me to. Don't know if it's because it's linked to my Evergreen app I downloaded and use also for my GP surgery.

QR code relating to the Covid jabs expires 20 June. Googled it and there are peeps on forums saying that it'll redate for another month once it reaches 20 June.
I was watching TV and doing things on my laptop at the same time as registering for the app, so my recollection is poor. Putting in my NHS number got me registered with the app easily enough, I can't remember what feature I was trying to access when I was prompted to supply further details. I also had to click a button to authorise linking the app of my GP's surgery, which was easy enough. Have you tried to access all the features of the app yet? It might be that you've yet to try and use a feature that requires that level of authentication. I'd be surprised if it's anything to do with any other app, from a security point of view, I'd be surprised if two different apps (albeit by the same developer) were able to pass data to each other like that.

I noticed the same thing about the QR code, my guess was that it remained valid for a month after it was generated and that if I tried tomorrow, it would expire on the 21st. Time will tell if I remember to check tomorrow.

Most commuters are unlikely to be booking last minute, and planning to arrive in London around 6pm on a Friday.
I didn't notice the caveat about commuters. That being the case, I went with the default date of travel, which is an hour's time.

Prices for this Monday; If you want to arrive before 11.00am; you pay a minimum of £143.60; with £160 odd being the standard.
I managed to get it down to £58.24 on a train that takes about an hour longer with a change and splitting the fare (arriving 1030hrs).

Just took a look at the Evergreen app. It looks quite useful, the NHS should look at building a lot of this functionality into their own app.

The "GP" part of the Pie Chart on the home page works by you logging into your NHS account. This is the same account used by the NHS's own app, so presumably you're not being asked for more details because you've already provided them to their satisfaction.

Yet another train cancellation, the service in this country is a ******* disgrace.

Also didn't even properly refund the other cancellations. It's not a case of if we need to revamp the system any more but a question of how. I suspect those who think it's fine do not really use it.

I'd quite happily commute to work via train if they could be trusted in the slightest
It's actually cost a bit more than petrol/parking would (which is ridiculous tbf, but fares have been covered above) but I just have zero faith that they'd get me to work on time every day

I'd quite happily commute to work via train if they could be trusted in the slightest
It's actually cost a bit more than petrol/parking would (which is ridiculous tbf, but fares have been covered above) but I just have zero faith that they'd get me to work on time every day
Public transport in general is shocking. You're lucky you can get a commute back when I first left University I had to rent because there was no transport to the town of my place of work and I didn't drive. Which is the problem the services are run for profit not for access.

Public transport in general is shocking. You're lucky you can get a commute back when I first left University I had to rent because there was no transport to the town of my place of work and I didn't drive. Which is the problem the services are run for profit not for access.
It's a difficult trade off. I used to take a bus to work from time to time. It used to make a detour through a village that added about 20 minutes to the journey. In 50+ journeys (probably a lot more), I only ever saw one person get on / off the bus!

Yeah this kind of awful take is what's wrong with modern politics and speaks to the same type of hypocrisy as I was pointing out earlier.

This quote kind of sums up how I feel:

"The man who can hold forth on every matter under debate in two contradictory ways of pleading, or can argue for and against every proposition that can be laid down – such a man is the true, the complete, and the only orator."

When will people understand that dismissal of political views they don't like as racist/classist or otherwise prejudiced doesn't do anyone any good... it pushes the far right further right and the far left further left.

Those who do try to take advantage of populsim with more sinister/nefarious objectives (which is VERY VERY rare) on both sides of the isle find their job only made easier by shitty takes like this. It keeps happening and no one ever learns...

Stop assuming the other side are evil / stupid / hateful / all round baddies. These aren't sports teams. There are things to learn from all walks of politics, but presumption of motive is exactly the reason politics is in such a dire state.

This is also wildly blinkered. There are plenty of oppertunities to critisize Boris and his many pet projects, but dismissing an attempt to demonstrate some sembelance of unity to a part of the UK in which 50% ish of the populus have felt completely abandoned by their government in Westminster as "jingoistic" isn't one of them.

Is there other ways to do it? Absolutelty! Is this a massive project that may be ill fated? Absolutely! Is this an example of a devolved government being treated as a "colony" of westminster? No.

Regardless, suggesting that the "Union" in it's totality an example of colonialism at which Westminster is at the centre is a misunderstanding of not only the treaty of the Union, but also waters down the idea of "colonialism" in the international arena... something that is very ill advised.
I have been meaning to reply to you for some time on this; apologies first for the delay. Also, I agree with you that I didn't express myself as well as I could have; it should have been far more nuanced. It was a case of needing to put my brain in gear before hitting the keypad.

For starters, I am entirely with you about the need to address the justified grievances of - as you say - the 50% of the U.K. that has been ignored and neglected by Westminster. However in infrastructural terms I don't think the answer need be grandiose schemes (which actually feed the vanity of the Westminster politicians more than helping the communities they are meant to serve). Instead it would be better to improve existing communications such as better rail and bus links across the North of England and Scotland - and reviving the railways in Northern Ireland. Such measures would probably cost less than 'big' projects and have a better medium to long term effect on local economies and the environment.

Also the narrative of London = Privilege, Rest of U.K. (including Red Wall areas) = Disadvantage is only partly true. Several of the poorest areas of the U.K. are situated within London. The current government ignores the needs and wishes of London - and other 'metropolitan' areas for spiteful populist reasons. It is now threatening to remove the supplementary vote system from our Mayoral and Assembly elections (the same policy will be imposed on Manchester, West Yorkshire, etc.). A government that was really interested in giving more say to local communities would do the opposite. It would extend the Single Transferable Vote system used in Scottish local elections (and N.Irish) to local authorities in England. That would be a democratising move - and a good Unionist move!

Which brings me on to your larger point about support for the Union. I do support it but regard the narrow, centralising form of Unionism of the current government as both ugly and counterproductive. For example, the vote for Brexit was a narrow one in the Union as a whole. Scotland voted strongly against it (as did London and as, less strongly, did N. Ireland). This should have been taken into account in the type of Brexit that was eventually imposed. A true 'Unionist' would favour a soft Brexit or a Norwegian or Swiss style relationship with the EU with single market access. The Tories in the present iteration imposed a hard Brexit instead - which as well as being IMHO inherently disastrous is making it harder to present a positive and open-minded case for the U.K. - a case which I would like to make.

In other words, I would like to see a more generous and outward-looking version of Unionism, rather than the current centralisation, power grabbing and (IMHO curiously un-British) obsession with flags and declarations of naive 'patriotism'.

Likewise, I would have been open to voting for a Tory mayoral candidate in London had there been one who represented the (dwindling) moderate and socially conscious wing of the party - a Ruth Davidson-style Tory, in other words. Two very different candidates spring to mind: Justine Greening (working class background, lesbian, upwardly mobile - a bit like Ruth D) and Rory Stewart (establishment background with social conscience). Both represent a modern and inclusive outlook. Instead the party nominated a hard Brexiteer who was an echo chamber for central government - another example of centralisation.

There is so much more that could be said but enough for now!

Latest posts