• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

What a boy

Can he run as an MP after standing down as Speaker?
Wasn't there some big kerfuffle about him being denied a peerage and then getting....some other ***le instead?

What a boy

Can he run as an MP after standing down as Speaker?
Wasn't there some big kerfuffle about him being denied a peerage and then getting....some other ***le instead?
Yeah, it's normal for a speaker to get a peerage and Bojo hasn't given him one. As much as what he says about the government is true this feels like a bitter man just trying to stay relevant. Have the bullying accusations been fully investigated yet?

Yeah, it's normal for a speaker to get a peerage and Bojo hasn't given him one. As much as what he says about the government is true this feels like a bitter man just trying to stay relevant. Have the bullying accusations been fully investigated yet?
Doesn't smell like that to me, smells much more like the Tory party has been becoming more extreme and trump like under Johnson. By all accounts Johnson is a detestable individual and if what Bercow says is true, why just take a cop out of saying he's bitter? He clearly was having disagreements with the government long before the peerage and if anything is Johnson who was the bitter one wanting revenge for denying the peerage.

As for bullying investigation, would be a bit rich asking for that is you are silent on how the government has just gutted the ability of the watchdog to investigate and prosecute Johnson's corruption...

It's bitterness or sticking the knife in and he knows it. No point in pretending otherwise.

It does allow the Tories to still claim Labour are Party of remain but I'm really unsure how much of that will matter in 3 years time. If they are still fighting that war it will look very odd and might be only because Brexit is a shitshow so not one they'd be fighting.

On the other side it continues to show Labour are not the fear for traditional Tory Lite voters (which Bercow always was) that they were under Corbyn. We saw traces of that in the by election where apparently on the doorstop the stop Corbyn line no longer worked and people would quite happily let other parties in.

Lots of time and too small things to really gauge what's going on. But parts of shifts in mood are occurring.

As for Bercow himself he doesn't have a peerage so doesn't sit in the House of Lords therefore I don't think anything precludes him from running as an MP. He'd be a ideal Labour candidate for a Tory/Lab marginal that's currently Tory with a large remain vote.

Most leave voters forget that whilst he was parliamentary face of the resistance he use to give the leave minorities in parliament loads of leeway. He actually did believe in parliamentary sovereignty and one of the reasons he ran for speaker and never leadership was he wanted to assert parliaments role in scrutiny of the government.

Doesn't smell like that to me, smells much more like the Tory party has been becoming more extreme and trump like under Johnson. By all accounts Johnson is a detestable individual and if what Bercow says is true, why just take a cop out of saying he's bitter? He clearly was having disagreements with the government long before the peerage and if anything is Johnson who was the bitter one wanting revenge for denying the peerage.

As for bullying investigation, would be a bit rich asking for that is you are silent on how the government has just gutted the ability of the watchdog to investigate and prosecute Johnson's corruption...
Yeah that's your conclusion, does the government need removing yes, do we need a new centre left movement in the county yes, do I want a divisive, attention seeking figure as part of that movement no.

Your last sentence is just whataboutism. Don't remember ever saying the current government doesn't need holding to account

Yeah that's your conclusion, does the government need removing yes, do we need a new centre left movement in the county yes, do I want a divisive, attention seeking figure as part of that movement no.

Your last sentence is just whataboutism. Don't remember ever saying the current government doesn't need holding to account
Saying he is just an attention seeker is the whataboutism... Literally your entire post is whataboutism. He says he left the Tories because of how the government is acting and your response is to do a whataboutism about his motives then a whataboutism about the alleged bullying. As I said, Bercows disagreements with the government clearly go back way before the peerage issue so to claim it's just that frankly smells of deflecting the issue. Has anyone come forward from the Tory ranks to criticise the government that you haven't attached some other ulterior motive to? You say the government needs holding to account and yet all the responses I've seen is you making excuses and attacking those who say it.

Saying he is just an attention seeker is the whataboutism... Literally your entire post is whataboutism. He says he left the Tories because of how the government is acting and your response is to do a whataboutism about his motives then a whataboutism about the alleged bullying. As I said, Bercows disagreements with the government clearly go back way before the peerage issue so to claim it's just that frankly smells of deflecting the issue. Has anyone come forward from the Tory ranks to criticise the government that you haven't attached some other ulterior motive to? You say the government needs holding to account and yet all the responses I've seen is you making excuses and attacking those who say it.
Oh have a day off you tart.

I'm sure she's just applying to make us happy whoever actually gets the job wasn't her.

I'm still waiting for the anti-corruption guy to start investigating her. I'm sure it'll be any day now...

I'm sure she's just applying to make us happy whoever actually gets the job wasn't her.
Ummm, I heard her on radio 4 the other week. Couple of things... First vast majority of the money was on testing, all those testing centres would have cost a Bob or two, second the money hasn't actually been all spent yet its just allocated, third I think she was thrown under the bus by an over promising administration.

She was a civil servant who was asked to do a job by the PM, in my mind if she's failed then its his fault for appointing her but I'm not going to get much support for that motion on here.

Yeah, Johnson definitely doesn't have one rule for the wealthy and one rule for the rest. I know UEFA are pressuring him, but it's still a kick in the teeth for ordinary people with better reasons to travel having to quarantine.

Ummm, I heard her on radio 4 the other week. Couple of things... First vast majority of the money was on testing, all those testing centres would have cost a Bob or two, second the money hasn't actually been all spent yet its just allocated, third I think she was thrown under the bus by an over promising administration.

She was a civil servant who was asked to do a job by the PM, in my mind if she's failed then its his fault for appointing her but I'm not going to get much support for that motion on here.
For me Johnson is to blame for appointing an incompetent person who he has links to. It was more cronyism, but worse, she was completely unfit to do the job.

Her CC isn't exactly glowing and she isn't a a career civil servant (whom I have a huge amount of time for and have friends who are) but a Tory crony parachuted to the top after a multitude of failures in the private sector.

Yeah, Johnson definitely doesn't have one rule for the wealthy and one rule for the rest. I know UEFA are pressuring him, but it's still a kick in the teeth for ordinary people with better reasons to travel having to quarantine.

The question is whether these VIPs have all been double jabbed. If they have then does Bojo relax travel for those here who have.

Her CC isn't exactly glowing and she isn't a a career civil servant (whom I have a huge amount of time for and have friends who are) but a Tory crony parachuted to the top after a multitude of failures in the private sector.

She had plenty of warning about the security failings at Talktalk before the hacking happened too and chose to ignore them. It's staggering how these anti-midas characters somehow keep landing such high roles despite obvious incompetence.

Latest posts