• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

How does this happen in the richest country in the world? Horrific.

Stating the obvious i know, but poor design, poor construction, or an unforseen event.

It will be interesting to see the cause of this. There is a general principle of robustness in structural engineering that the scale of damage must not be disproportionate to the event that caused the damage.

To lead to this scale of damage either that principle wasn't adequately followed, or the cause must have been huge.

To add to that.

The UK went through this with Ronan Point, where a gas explosion in a flat caused significantly more damage to the building than it ought to have done, because the construction method wasn't sufficiently robust.

Since then all designs in the UK have to have considered disproportionate collapse.

But the Tories aren't corrupt...they said so.

Why do I feel that it will be more, "no rules were broken".

As I said there is a real gap between the rules and what is morally acceptable.

*insert purely hypothetical scenario in which Labour would definitely have been far worse here*

At some point making up examples of what your opposition MIGHT have done cannot outweigh what your side have ACTUALLY done.

*insert purely hypothetical scenario in which Labour would definitely have been far worse here*

At some point making up examples of what your opposition MIGHT have done cannot outweigh what your side have ACTUALLY done.
Yeah, it's got to the point now that not even Corbyn on a bad day could have ****** things up much worse.

Apart from the furlough scheme and the appointment of Kate Bingham, the government running of the pandemic has been a disaster

Could be out in 15 which is kind of similar to murder over here.

IDK. This wasn't a fight that got out of hand or a quick and efficient execution. It was deliberate, protracted, caused evident suffering, totally unnecessary and a massive abuse of his office. Feels like he deserved more.

Good video summing up why it's more than just an affair.

Conservatives will especially have an issue if they have to reintroduce more rules as with this and Cummings at Barnard, people will question why they should follow the rules when those in power clearly don't care about them.

Could be out in 15 which is kind of similar to murder over here.

IDK. This wasn't a fight that got out of hand or a quick and efficient execution. It was deliberate, protracted, caused evident suffering, totally unnecessary and a massive abuse of his office. Feels like he deserved more.

Yes, it's tough to understand the sentencing. He's ultimately taken a man's life; despite Floyd's pleas. A lay person looking from the outside would think life should mean life. Or certainly a good 30 year sentence to reflect the seriousness. The impact on social justice was not relevant according to the judge.

However, The fact that they found a serving white police officer guilty in the States is remarkable and unprecedented in itself. But the fact that it was all filmed by witnesses and on the officers' body cam was pretty damning. Chauvin's name and reputation is basically mud and his family will carry that shame and notoriety - which can't be reflected in any sentence.

Think he'll need to be segregated from other prisoners when inside being an ex officer.

He'll also be on parole when he gets out, so conditions attached when he gets out. Banned from owning fire arms for life.

Yes, you shudder to think what the outcome might have been if it hadn't been filmed.

You'd like to think the notoriety will stick. But when he comes out I'm not betting against him being offered book deals, paid interviews etc, especially if he expresses remorse.

Does that actually mean anything in America?
Well legal firearms. Yes, with the proliferation of firearms in the US nothing stopping him getting an illegal one when he got out.
Yes, you shudder to think what the outcome might have been if it hadn't been filmed.

You'd like to think the notoriety will stick. But when he comes out I'm not betting against him being offered book deals, paid interviews etc, especially if he expresses remorse.
Good point. Shows how messed up USA is.

On one hand he will be at least 60 by the time he comes out of jail. On the other maximum sentence was 40 and he got almost half that it's one the longest sentences a police officer has got for deadly force in the US but honestly we should be holding the police who are supposed to protect us to a higher account when they've broken the law.

This all said sentencing guidelines are complicated in this country and I imagine the USA is far worse. His lawyers were arguing for time served....

Latest posts