• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Lewis Hamilton takes the knee before every F1 race its just a gesture, what else is he doing?

**** me just doing a gesture not highlighting a cause hes working with concrete goals.

Ah but the footballers don't because....you realise they aren't just taking the knee over this, right? Never have done.
What's the concrete goal then? Legislatively, what do they want to achieve?
Lewis Hamilton takes the knee before every F1 race its just a gesture, what else is he doing?

**** me just doing a gesture not highlighting a cause hes working with concrete goals.
Now this is different - don't have any issue with this if there is a concrete plan behind it and it's publicising the goal.

If there is a goal for it, the action shouldn't overshadow the cause, defeats the entire point

Don't think it was overshadowed at all unless I wanted to be wilfully ignorant, thought the booing of the gesture kind of proved why they needed to do it.

People thought it perfectly acceptable to boo people for the mere gesture in your book of publicly saying racism is bad.

As to what football is doing I don't know exactly (not because it doesn't exist I've heard them talk about it) I just don't have some quickly googlable terms (same with the ECB). Hamilton is a bit quicker because he named the commission after himself so easily rememberable.

Don't think it was overshadowed at all unless I wanted to be wilfully ignorant, thought the booing of the gesture kind of proved why they needed to do it.

People thought it perfectly acceptable to boo people for the mere gesture in your book of publicly saying racism is bad.

As to what football is doing I don't know exactly (not because it doesn't exist I've heard them talk about it) I just don't have some quickly googlable terms (same with the ECB). Hamilton is a bit quicker because he named the commission after himself so easily rememberable.
If you don't know what it is, then it clearly was overshadowed no?

Surely the focus should be firmly on the action rather than the protest?

And if it isn't, regardless of why, all effort should be put into making the action the forefront

And if it isn't, regardless of why, all effort should be put into making the action the forefront
I'm an extremely casual football fan if even that I support England during tournaments so watch like 4-7 games every 2 years. Sorry I don't have encylopedic knowledge of a sport and what its people are doing I care little about.

I'm an extremely casual football fan if even that I support England during tournaments so watch like 4-7 games every 2 years. Sorry I don't have encylopedic knowledge of a sport and what its people are doing I care little about.
But you know about the kneeling - that is on the public consciousness regardless of how big a football fan anyone is. Do you not think that's the wrong way around?

But you know about the kneeling - that is on the public consciousness regardless of how big a football fan anyone is. Do you not think that's the wrong way around?
No, because I'm aware of their work if not the specifics, I am in areas of which I have heightened interest. I support anti-racism and more specific anti-systemic-racism and unconscious bias initiaitives within my workplace. In my personal life I have had lengthy conversations with people that receptive about confronting these issues and being aware of them. All of which probably wouldn't of occured if sports players didn't take the knee.

You think its important to know the specifics so you can have a reason to dismiss taking the knee, I do not.

There are a few different camps on the criticism here -

1. Those that are uncomfortable with the kneeling because of the BLM connection and would be fine with something else
2. Those that believe that gesture politics is largely meaningless and ineffective to solve the problem of racism and would like actual action instead (would be interesting to see if kneeling has had any effect on the abuse players have recieved - if not, then it suggests this argument has merit)
3. Those that legitimately don't want sport and politics intermingled (as if this has never been the case)
4. Actual racists

There are of course some overlap between those camps, but I think broadly most people fall into one of them, with some more niche outliers.

As I mentioned in my second point, it would be interesting to see some actual data on the amount of abuse players have faced on social media - I would hazard a guess that it is about the same and if anything has gone up (though the high profile event makes something like that hard to study). Regardless, I would be very surprised if the kneeling made any discernable difference. If the FA, even PRL and other sporting bodies now started replacing the kneeling with actual coordinated action to weed out both those supporters and coaches, players etc who were racist or racially abusing players and made that a full on, public campaign instead of the kneeling, that then brings in group 1 and 2 I have listed above and you are left with a very slim group of peope opposing it, and more clear reasons why they are. Until then, Tyrone Mings, Aaron Morris and others will continue to burn bridges and wrongly conflate being against kneeling and being anti anti racist.

Both sides of this debate over how best to deal with racism and the abuse players recieve specifically seem to be getting more and more stubborn as they are relentelessly attacked by the other side - Mings and Patel have both exacerbated that in their own way. It's not exactly conducive to actual progresss, which clearly hasnt been achieved
1. You, like many others, are mixing up a political symbol and a symbol that has been adopted by a political organisation. Taking the knee was not started by BLM, it was started by black people protesting racism. It has since been adopted by BLM. That does not make the gesture wrong or less significant. The Swastika is an ancient religious symbol, still used by many cultures. It was also adopted by the Nazi party. Does that make the Swastika bad or the people who still use it supporters of the Nazis? No. Saying it is linked to BLM is not about a political stance, but is about trying to undermine a symbol of anti-racism by making irrelevant links that in no way change what the the symbol means.

2. Not everyone is in a position of power to make change and when those in power do not take action then gestures and protests are all you have left. Here is David Lammy on the government's inaction despite multiple reviews and recommendations. https://www.theguardian.com/politic...isses-back-of-fag-packet-racism-inquiry-audio
The point you and many white people, who refuse to admit that there is a power imbalance when it comes to race, is that the power in this country still belongs to white people. Taking the knee is not about legislating specific change, it is about raising awareness of the structural and racial inequalities in our society that many people refuse to admit even exist. How can you change something when those in power and members of the public won't even acknowledge there is a problem?

3. This is just stupid because sport has consistently been mingled with politics, but I'll keep it simple. I'm sure those people condemning taking the knee were silent when Nigel Farage equated winning the final to Brexit Britain succeeding. If you're going to argue sport and politics shouldn't mix then you need to do it for everything or you end up being a racist hypocrite who only protests the parts they dislike.

4. This is the point that actually far more of these people are racist and just use excuses to hide their racism.

The problem is, you seem to see taking the knee as some kind of defiant gesture and that the people who do it are refusing to help change the system when the reality is they are not in a position to change the system. As Ncurd said, MLK and Ghandi made speeches and gestures. They were not the ones in power. Are you telling me that India being free is a specific legislative goal, but eliminating racism and structural inequalities isn't. Or is it because you feel one legislative act cannot solve it therefore it's pointless even though it took hundreds of years of legislature to create the system we currently have today. Of course it will take time. Just because they aren't campaigning for a specific bit of legislature does not undermine their campaign. There is no way anti-racism protests could be that specific when the problem is a structurally racist society itself. I already pointed out that the government has done almost nothing on racism apart from commission a white-washed report to justify their review that Britain isn't structurally racist. Mings criticising Patel isn't criticising an ally against racism, but criticising one of the people in power who refuse to take action and actively undermine efforts to raise awareness that would lead to change.

The difference is MLK, Ghandi and even Rashford all campaigned for a substantive change in the law - ending racism is not a substantive thing you can do - thus, gesture politics.

Regardless, thoughts on the broader point I was making would be appreciated
What substantive change in the law did MLK, Ghandi and Rashford want because I'm sure once it was achieved they hung up their boots and retired from campaigning? MLK certainly didn't get involved in any ridiculous campaigns such as ending racism or try to aim for such a ridiculous objective. I'm sure his speech went "I have a dream that the my four children will have an equal vote."

I'll repeat myself here simply. When you are not in power you can't enact the action to make change and you are left with protests and gestures. Action has to come from those in power and the government, social media, footballing authorities have not done anywhere near enough to combat racism. The government especially would rather it be blamed on a small minority so that people don't discuss and learn about the wider issues of systemic racial inequalities which are still prevalent in our society. The reality is that taking the knee has started to achieve it's objective by creating a conversation which is the beginning of change. However, that conversation has to continue until the change happens and so the taking the knee reminds people and keeps up the momentum of the conversation until the change occurs. This isn't an issue that requires one action and it's solved, but an ongoing process trying to correct years of racial inequality and dismantle a structurally racist society that was built over hundreds of years.

Before I encouraged you to learn more about white privilege and structural racism. I would have hoped you might have taken some time to learn more.

However, that conversation has to continue until the change happens and so the taking the knee reminds people and keeps up the momentum of the conversation until the change occurs.
Great post.

And this is why you have people on the right who will reframe the conversation to shut it down. After all, change is the conservatives ultimate nemesis.

1. No I'm not mixing them up - and the swastika comparison is pretty far off. It's obviously not as extreme as that symbol, but a more apt comparison would be if a right wing or nationalist group adopted it whilst saying it was the original meaning. It may well be true, but still not a great look and obviously going to lead to criticism distracting from their core message. If the policy is any publicity is good then fine, but I don't subscribe to that.

2. What was that saying about assumptions? I have said it on here before and will say again - I am not white, I am mixed race. Regardless, I take the point about awareness, but still stand by action being more important, especially when sporting bodies have a decent amount of power within their own remit to set a good example. If kneeling overshadows actual action and efforts for change then it is not helping - even though it may feel like it.

3. I agree it's dumb - sport is and always has been intertwined with politics - some people i think either just didn't notice or don't like the drama it's caused.

4. Racists can go **** themselves

No I do believe that most of the people taking the knee etc think they are helping, but the conversation is almost wholly now about taking the knee rather than actual proposals to make a difference. It is a defence of the specific method of protest rather than a conversation about how to solve the issues. Be honest - what do you think is more likely to lead to positive change, continued bickering about taking the knee or leaving a now toxic subject that doesn't really do anything by the wayside and focusing on trying to find legislative solutions to the "structural racism" that is being cited, along with countering social media abuse etc. At the moment, you can't do both.

I know people on here struggle with nuance somethimes but not thinking taking the knee is helpful at all does not mean I think we should do nothing ffs... My family and myself have experienced, believe me I know it's not ******* nice and it ****** me off when I see people around me taking the knee, sending some money to BLM or something and thinking they're some white saviour being all patronising and ****.

There are racist people in the world, if I have the displeasure of meeting them I do my best to talk to them dispell any insane notions they may have and if I can't then I move on and blow them a kiss. There will always be racist people in the world - ending racism everywhere is not a realistically achievable goal or even tangibe in the slightest.

As if to illustrate my point that this has become more about the symbol than actual change - it's being reported that England squad refused to go to Downing Street. Now why would you turn down an oppertunity to meet with legislators and have a conversation, even in a non legislative setting, if you were focused on real change rather than the symbol?

As if to illustrate my point that this has become more about the symbol than actual change - it's being reported that England squad refused to go to Downing Street. Now why would you turn down an oppertunity to meet with legislators and have a conversation, even in a non legislative setting, if you were focused on real change rather than the symbol?

Can you actually find a reputable source for anything?

Everyone else is just reporting that Number 10 shelved the plan. As per original tweet

BameFor aren't followed by any journalists or footballers its amazing they've manged to get this scoop and nobody else has reported or confirmed it.

Can you actually find a reputable source for anything?

Everyone else is just reporting that Number 10 shelved the plan. As per original tweet

BameFor aren't followed by any journalists or footballers its amazing they've manged to get this scoop and nobody else has reported or confirmed it.
Sorry I thought I'd put a disclaimer in there that it wasn't a fantastic source, but after the govt shelving plans seemingly on a dime yesterday it does seem as if something happened.

What taking the knee has shown is that people are very uncomfortable being constantly reminded that society isn't equal. The fact that it isn't a fad and does mean something to the people doing it, has pushed an agenda of racial equality that has got some people angry. When people boo the taking of a knee or moan that politics shouldn't be in sport, what the are really saying is "inequality doesn't effect me so stop taking about it!"

Although there has been progress made in regards racial equality in this country, the events of Sunday night show we are still a long way off. Taking the knee keeps this problem in the news and the people who object to it are hopefully being pushed further and further into irrelevance.

Last edited:
Just to add although sock has clarified BameFor aren't followed by any the top lawyer types either which is strange for a legal group. Like you'd expect SecretBarrister to turn up in the list of people you follow also follow this for a major lawyer group, especially when they have this kind of access.

So its probably just wishful thinking on their part and general supposition is No. 10 canned such a visit for fear of that kind of response than it actually happening.

1. No I'm not mixing them up - and the swastika comparison is pretty far off. It's obviously not as extreme as that symbol, but a more apt comparison would be if a right wing or nationalist group adopted it whilst saying it was the original meaning. It may well be true, but still not a great look and obviously going to lead to criticism distracting from their core message. If the policy is any publicity is good then fine, but I don't subscribe to that.

2. What was that saying about assumptions? I have said it on here before and will say again - I am not white, I am mixed race. Regardless, I take the point about awareness, but still stand by action being more important, especially when sporting bodies have a decent amount of power within their own remit to set a good example. If kneeling overshadows actual action and efforts for change then it is not helping - even though it may feel like it.

3. I agree it's dumb - sport is and always has been intertwined with politics - some people i think either just didn't notice or don't like the drama it's caused.

4. Racists can go **** themselves

No I do believe that most of the people taking the knee etc think they are helping, but the conversation is almost wholly now about taking the knee rather than actual proposals to make a difference. It is a defence of the specific method of protest rather than a conversation about how to solve the issues. Be honest - what do you think is more likely to lead to positive change, continued bickering about taking the knee or leaving a now toxic subject that doesn't really do anything by the wayside and focusing on trying to find legislative solutions to the "structural racism" that is being cited, along with countering social media abuse etc. At the moment, you can't do both.

I know people on here struggle with nuance somethimes but not thinking taking the knee is helpful at all does not mean I think we should do nothing ffs... My family and myself have experienced, believe me I know it's not ******* nice and it ****** me off when I see people around me taking the knee, sending some money to BLM or something and thinking they're some white saviour being all patronising and ****.

There are racist people in the world, if I have the displeasure of meeting them I do my best to talk to them dispell any insane notions they may have and if I can't then I move on and blow them a kiss. There will always be racist people in the world - ending racism everywhere is not a realistically achievable goal or even tangibe in the slightest.
I apologise for my assumptions about your race. It was unintentional, but it was wrong of me.

I think your point about people taking the knee distracting from the issue of racism is where I have an issue. Racists and those who want to change the conversation away from racism are the ones who have created this BLM/maxist issue. It's not the players who are muddying the issue, but those who want to undermine them. Those people want you to focus on the players and whether taking the knee is appropriate. For me what the are doing is continuing to raise awareness and defy those who actually want to undermine their campaign by bringing politics and Marxism etc... into it. You seem to hold the players responsible. I hold those who accuse them responsible.

I apologise for my assumptions about your race. It was unintentional, but it was wrong of me.

I think your point about people taking the knee distracting from the issue of racism is where I have an issue. Racists and those who want to change the conversation away from racism are the ones who have created this BLM/maxist issue. It's not the players who are muddying the issue, but those who want to undermine them. Those people want you to focus on the players and whether taking the knee is appropriate. For me what the are doing is continuing to raise awareness and defy those who actually want to undermine their campaign by bringing politics and Marxism etc... into it. You seem to hold the players responsible. I hold those who accuse them responsible.
Its ok, no worries.

Yeah that's reasonable - I'm not solely laying it at the player's feet, I think it's a been a joint effort, but not intentional. Honestly though it's not really that relevant any more, it has been tarnished, there is pretty wide spread divide and it should in theory be a pretty unifying issue. The fact that split exists is what suggests to me it's not doing more good than harm.

https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/ct/news/documents/2021-06/Ipsos MORI Euros 2020 polling_120621_PUBLIC.pdf

Page 4 on there has only 40% of the country supporting the kneeling, with a good amount being ambivalent and almost a third being against it - the largest "anti racism" gesture in the nation should in theory garner a hell of a lot more support than that. I suppose where you expect it to be comes down to the proportion of the country you think are actual racist, I'd wager about 10% are actually racists, so then 40% support looks really really low. If it was really unifying then I'd expect at least 70% support. It may well be though that others on this forum believe it's a much higher amount but unfortunately we dont have any real polling for the answer!

The polling doesn't suggest unity on an issue that should be unifying - does that not suggest we are probably going about it wrong?

Unfortunately the link above doesnt let you isolate factors etc as they've listed multiple reasons for opposing the gesture rather than having to pick only one and I dont have the time to slog through all the data, but if you did, it would give you a pretty clear indication of when and where campaigning and protests would be effective, especially if you had a concrete mainfesto/legislative aims to go along with it. It would be good to know how they gave them options as well but hey ho, it gives the skeleton of good info

The polling was done on 8th-9th June before England had played a game in the tournament I'd be very interested to see the same data pre-final and today. That would give us a far clearer view of the impact of their campaign.

"almost a third" 27% is a lot close to a quarter than a third
so actual number are 40% support, with 33% ambivalent which is 73% of the nation not actively opposing it so not really that divisive.

That's all with 46% of those polled saying they couldn't give flying duck about football so the apparently ambivalent number make more sense, This is probably why the oppose number stays the roughly same for England Football Fans but increases to 48% support once they have skin in the game.

Like I said though when the data was taken is the interesting part ,its pre-impact we can adjudge if the camapign it was success or not with post data to compare to.

The polling was done on 8th-9th June before England had played a game in the tournament I'd be very interested to see the same data pre-final and today. That would give us a far clearer view of the impact of their campaign.

"almost a third" 27% is a lot close to a quarter than a third
so actual number are 40% support, with 33% ambivalent which is 73% of the nation not actively opposing it so not really that divisive.

That's all with 46% of those polled saying they couldn't give flying duck about football so the apparently ambivalent number make more sense, This is probably why the oppose number stays the roughly same for England Football Fans but increases to 48% support once they have skin in the game.

Like I said though when the data was taken is the interesting part ,its pre-impact we can adjudge if the camapign it was success or not with post data to compare to.
Obviously newer data would be lovely...

I mean if you're fine with ambivalence to the anti racism gesture then that's not hugely productive? I'd have thought you'd have wanted wide spread support, not less than half.

I'd personally prefer if there was a gesture that far more than that number could get behind but hey, if that's fine for you

Latest posts