• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

In possibly less exciting news, its weird how people are pointing out their conservatives 'won' the popular vote with 34% of vote when all three of the other main parties are to the left of them.

Also looking at the reasons why people got disavowed by their parties why does the left have an antisemitism problem? Seriously I'd like to know the historic roots its hard for me to know because where I grew up there simply weren't Jewish people at all (I just looked it up 0.1% of people, which means as school population was under 1000 there's a chance there were no Jewish kids in my school).

Suspect it appeals to the left's constant quest for social justice which conflicts with the whole Israel and Palestine situation.

I grew up in a county north west of London, which is heavily Jewish populated and very pro Israel. Remember going to a Jewish friend's wedding and the toast wasn't just to the Bride and Groom but also to Israel. The Jewish friends I grew up with would go to Israel each summer for summer camp etc. It really is ingrained into them how important it is to protect their identity and who they are and yes a lot does stem from their historical experiences
Of the Holocaust.

The firm I work for has a large Jewish contingent amongst the partnership. Very strong identity amongst them but I don't feel I can ever talk about Israel situation. So just don't.

Would also say that like with other religions you have spectrum. Some are very religious and observe Shabbat every Friday and religious holidays (lots of them in September) others will pick and choose when to be observant.

In contrast the left doesn't really have an identity just held together by loose ideals for equality amongst workers etc.

Last edited:
Suspect it appeals to the left's constant quest for social justice which conflicts with the whole Israel and Palestine situation.
I suspect that's where it starts but becomes way more deep rooted than simple opposition to Israel's handling of Gaza and the West Bank. We seam regularly dismiss antisemitism as anti-zionism (best advice I've heard with the state of Israel is to be specific on what your against rather than sweeping statements).

Here's a very deep dive into this countries issues within Labour, its written by a British Jew

But yeah I just want to understand how a group who pertains and usually sides well with "socially-libereral" viewpoints when it comes to things LGBTQ+ rights and the aforementioned plight of the Palestinian people end up going down such a deep rabbit hole or is dismissive of there actually being an issue. I know part of it is their viewpoint of Israel as the baddies (with justification) but how that ends up being all Jewish people is just baffling. For example what you said about Jewish people that's not an uncommon thing in many ethnic groups (strong attachment to origin countries even generations later) so why do antisemities not worry about other groups? I know I'm asking for rationalisation of racism which is hard within itself but its trying to understand why a group who usually is forward looking in so many other regards does seam to have this one blindspot.

t0gUexQ.jpeg

Erm.... maybe we shouldn't have left the internal energy market??

Aye, you don't say

t0gUexQ.jpeg

Erm.... maybe we shouldn't have left the internal energy market??

Aye, you don't say

I'm shocked you didn't believe Boris back in 2016

EXCLUSIVE: The Former Mayor of London claims leaving the EU will mean ministers can slash the price of our gas bills

Alexa how ****** is Christmas this year.
.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58641114

Our internal infrastructure is shockingly bad.
- rail
- phone network
- Superfast Broadband
- energy
And so on

All in a shite state. All because we have never really properly funded anything.

Rail especially getting rid of the local railway stations imo was a stupid move.

Relied on Private investment and they are all in it for profit.

Two I would agree on is rail. HS2 is a colossal waste of money, when existing infrastructure badly needs upgrading.

Energy of course is and always will be the big worry going forward. How we keep capacity whilst also reducing carbon emissions. Neither go hand in hand. Coming home to roost with reliance on foreign gas, the decommissioning of nuclear power stations/replacing them. Surely can't rely solely on wind/solar to meet all needs.

Phone/super fast BB. From my POV I am fine. Rely on mobile and MS teams for work. Speeds are fast enough for me at 200mp/S download/20mb/s. But far from the 1GB/sec for ultra fast BB speeds we should be aiming for. Is it that bad in other parts of the country?

Phone/super fast BB. From my POV I am fine. Rely on mobile and MS teams for work. Speeds are fast enough for me at 200mp/S download/20mb/s. But far from the 1GB/sec for ultra fast BB speeds we should be aiming for. Is it that bad in other parts of the country?
Genuinely rural areas can be a problem mainly because they were far down the priority list for rollout of FttC although that now reaches 95% off households now.

And honestly since having any form of fiber (although I have FttP now) I've never noticed anything requiring faster speeds. It can take a bit time to download a large computer game but that's more limited by distribution models than the network capacity itself.

Rail is one of big biggest pet peeves in this country,

Massively unreliable and incredibly expensive - think I mentioned earlier in this thread but I'd prefer to commute by train than car but the season pass would cost significantly more than my current combined petrol + city centre parking pass costs, and then you factor in the reliability as well? People in my office who get trains are constantly running late because of replacement bus services, or having to duck out early because the later trains are all cancelled
The only time I've gone to use the train since the pandemic started it got cancelled and I had to drive to the next town over and get a different trainline in to Brum, or else get the replacement bus service which takes more than twice as long

It's just a joke of a service

re Fibre and Phone network I guess for me it depends where the UK wants to position itself.

I know that there is a desire for the Uk to be a big tech hub, there is a market for it and it's clearly the fastest growing industry I guess for me it's more how fast any rollouts etc actually happen in this country.

https://vxfiber.com/what-uk-fttp-broadband-projects-can-learn-from-sweden/

I think what sums up the UK governments when it comes to infrastructure is one way they are thinking of trying to get people to use the buses is adding changing rooms, which by the end of their first week will be public bathrooms. How about adding more buses so people don't have to wait a stupid amount for them.

Aiming for FTTP internet in UK is a long shot, especially with our ageing housing stock. For new builds yes.

That's looking at 1Gb per seconds plus when most the country are probably not even getting 20 or 30 Mb/sec; if that. but also whether it's reliable. No point having the fastest if it keeps getting throttled.

I Think 5G/6G and so on is the way to go if we want mass coverage where it gets to those levels of speeds. Gonna be a while for 5G to properly covers the country what with Huawei hardware getting ripped out. Personally 4G is good enough for me for now.

Our rail is worse than yours fersherr, always been fairly impressed by trains in the UK... Right is current, left 100 years ago:

railmap.jpg

Hope we just go full Euro now that you lads ditched us.

Our rail is worse than yours fersherr, always been fairly impressed by trains in the UK... Right is current, left 100 years ago:
Our is good for one off trips etc. (i.e. I can book in advance and get a train down to London for very little) but relying on it every day for commuting etc. is a nightmare

Though looking at that map we are definitely blessed with the amount of train lines we have (when they're running/there's no leaves on the track/they've got enough drivers etc.)

Our is good for one off trips etc. (i.e. I can book in advance and get a train down to London for very little) but relying on it every day for commuting etc. is a nightmare

Though looking at that map we are definitely blessed with the amount of train lines we have (when they're running/there's no leaves on the track/they've got enough drivers etc.)
And you want to travel to a major location North/South or East/West depending which you train station does. If not get ready to change trains 500 times.

TBF I had a friend from Ireland come over he was amazed that we had central heating, he said it was the first time in winter he didn't have to wear a woolly jumper his nan had knitted him.

Latest posts