• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Yep, as consumers will end up paying for any rises in increased wages. That's where all the whinging will start from. And the political point scoring will come into it from each side.

2BFC5669-095D-48DF-81FF-C6581AF83946.jpeg

Queues forming already this morning at Petrol station near me. Peeps aren't listening.

Honestly I always thought Private Schools got taxed for some reason

(Some of the comments about this from around the internet are interesting "We need levelling up not levelling down" is a common one, but the same people would complain about any tax rises to help fund said level up...)

Last edited:

(Some of the comments about this from around the internet are interesting "We need levelling up not levelling down" is a common one, but the same people would complain about any tax rises to help fund said level up...)
Tax breaks are fine imo - it takes stress off the state schools anyway, why should parents have to pay for schools they're not sending their kids to twice (income tax and tax on private schools) rather than just once?

Because it's a business.
Why should the parents have to pay more?

Why can't it come out of the potential 300k a year some heads make or 100k a year private schools pay to poach the best state educators.

Tax breaks are fine imo - it takes stress off the state schools anyway, why should parents have to pay for schools they're not sending their kids to twice (income tax and tax on private schools) rather than just once?
Private schools are run as a business. This argument is basically saying the wealthy can spend more on private services and then avoid the tax burdens of everyone else. You are taxed not based on usage. I barely use the NHS, have never used the police or fire services and certainly haven't used the military and yet my taxes fund them so why should the wealthy not have to pay taxes simply because they don't use the service? It's not an argument.

Because it's a business.
Why should the parents have to pay more?

Why can't it come out of the potential 300k a year some heads make or 100k a year private schools pay to poach the best state educators.
Of course it would get passed on to the parents and most of them are in a financial black hole anyway.

Private schools are run as a business. This argument is basically saying the wealthy can spend more on private services and then avoid the tax burdens of everyone else. You are taxed not based on usage. I barely use the NHS, have never used the police or fire services and certainly haven't used the military and yet my taxes fund them so why should the wealthy not have to pay taxes simply because they don't use the service? It's not an argument.

I'm not saying they shouldn't pay income tax that goes towards state education, but taxing them twice is a stretch to justify morally.

Of course it would get passed on to the parents and most of them are in a financial black hole anyway.

I'm not saying they shouldn't pay income tax that goes towards state education, but taxing them twice is a stretch to justify morally.
It's no different to anything else. The business I work for pays taxes, they then pay me my salary and I pay taxes on my salary. I then buy something and pay tax on that so in essence the money I use to buy stuff that has VAT has been taxed 3 times. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, it's proposing taxing the profits of private schools, the same as any other. It's no more double taxing than any thing else.

I feel to get charity status then you should have a large amount of free grants.

I would also be interested in the financial black hole stats.

Yeah the charity status of private schools is completely indefensible. Let's give it to BUPA whilst we're at it and private security firms.

I wonder how much we could reduce the cost of Univeristy education by taxing private schools. Obviously couldn't fully fund it

I look back and the second smartest person I've known (the top guy went to a private school) was a straight A student at secondary school (went on to be a medical doctor) none of the top kids ever got offered or were targeted for potential scholarships.

Of course if you were good at sports Milfield could come knocking but it certainly feels like for charity status everyone should know one or two people who got plucked out of state schools. The closest I know are friends who got reduced fees due to their parents being teachers.

Yeah the charity status of private schools is completely indefensible. Let's give it to BUPA whilst we're at it and private security firms.
Tbf I'd be fine with giving it to BUPA etc. Security firms are a little different I think.

Should we not encourage people to go private and take strain of off the state?

It's be better if we encouraged people to pay their fair share of tax, rather than the smallest amount they think they can get away with

Tbf I'd be fine with giving it to BUPA etc. Security firms are a little different I think.

Should we not encourage people to go private and take strain of off the state?
Problem is your only a few steps to lets make services **** to encourage people to take the strain off the state. Why do consecutive conservative governments fail at being trusted with healthcare and education? Because regardless of actual beliefs/circumstances they aren't seen as having a vested interest in making those services good.

Also how much 'strain' is actually being relieved? Imagine if there were no private schools and wealthy parents actually had a vested in their local state school actually being great. In turn those areas no longer pull in through financial power the best of the best.

This is where capitalism fails for me (there are many other areas I think it's good) it encourages poor public services and takes talent away from them.

Also kind of defeats the point when the best teachers get signed from state schools.

And results in the state schools constantly either having poorer teachers or inexperienced teachers.

Also kind of defeats the point when the best teachers get signed from state schools.

And results in the state schools constantly either having poorer teachers or inexperienced teachers.
Had an ex private school teacher for my GCSE years (before that I had 3 years of not even a dedicated English teacher) went from a predicted D grade to gaining a B. He left after those 2 years to back to private school....

Drove past three petrol stations on the way into work and all were fine - then heard on the radio that two thirds of petrol stations have run dry?

Two I went to last night at Asda and Sainsbury's were roped off. Tesco Express/Esso up the road from me as well. Quarter of a tank left in my car.

Drove past three petrol stations on the way into work and all were fine - then heard on the radio that two thirds of petrol stations have run dry?
Localised panic buying, it makes sense once one fuel station runs out in an area people run to the nearest one that focuses even more pressure. We drove past 5 stations on Saturday 3 were massively queued and 2 were closed. We actually picked up fuel at one of the closed ones yesterday morning at a reasonable time.

But yeah the HGV driver issue isn't going away anytime soon, this was all shunted because BP had to close some some stations and people went nuts. We've been seeing all year issues with some products in supermarkets (we can't seam to find a shop selling both Diet and Regular Coke at the moment).

Guess what folks you put up barriers to how you do trade and it causes problems with supply chains, who could of possibly worked out that out?

Latest posts