• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

On the conscription, I know it's often highlighted that this is the first time since the second world war. However the two situations are completely different. In WW2 they were fighting to protect their homeland. Now they will be fighting a war the majority don't believe in. The mentality will be completely different. Those conscripts are going to an already low morale war front, under equipped and under prepared. It's ridiculous to think it will just change the war.
That's not strictly true. Russia/Soviet Union always had conscription after WWII as did almost every European country including the UK with National service. It's how those conscripts were legally allowed to be used which has become the sticking point.

Also this isn't conscription it's mobilisation. This should be the calling up of trained reserves. Most people when they leave the military are required to stay as a reservist for a number of years should the need to mobilize a large military arise. The Russians have decided that need has arrived but they are going about it in a very haphazard way, calling up just about anyone which is more akin to press hanging than anything else.

Subprime mortgages...
That wasn't Trump, I know we want to blame him for everything but still.

Plus that wasn't quite the deliberate arson fire that is going on current on due to Kamakwasi Economics

That wasn't Trump, I know we want to blame him for everything but still.

Plus that wasn't quite the deliberate arson fire that is going on current on due to Kamakwasi Economics
Never said it was Trump but pretty sure it was GOP who were running the show and allowing the massive toxic borrowing to happen all in the name of profit.

Not sure if Kamakwasi has been deliberate in what he has done or just been stupid. Not that it really matters

Truss is just as guilty as Kwarteng IMO. He is just carrying out what she promised she would do during the Tory leadership campaign albeit unimpressively. Looks like the Tories have picked the wrong leader AGAIN. Really hoping no confidence letters start flying in soon. I'm sure Sunak still has plenty of support on the backbenches. The country is crying out for a GE to clear up this mess and get rid of this shower.

The country is crying out for a GE to clear up this mess and get rid of this shower.
Its the only way this end now I still predict new year but there's a definite feel its coming. Suspect Liz will call it if the no confidence situation becomes dire, I can't see them being able to change leader again before one so if the backbenches demand it she'll call one lose and resign.

Labour are definitely behaving like one is imminent.

Government been actually for 2 weeks already imploding massively

Sturgeon calling for Parliament to be recalled. It's starting to feel a bit like 2008 again except this is a UK crisis and not a global one.

Sturgeon calling for Parliament to be recalled. It's starting to feel a bit like 2008 again except this is a UK crisis and not a global one.
Starmer as well, this tweet will remain a timeless classic I think for the Truss premiership. Killed the Queen and Crashed the economy in less than a month.

1664368441347.png

Anyone see the interview between Owen Jones and Jess Phillips? Weird how in some people's eyes Jess Phillips is considered right wing

This should be the calling up of trained reserves.
And ,in general, having a trained reserve is a very effective thing. I read articles about Soviet-Afghan war and in the beginning of the war there were mostly elder reservists there,they were much more effective than young drafted men (after) and a reservist army showed a very good result.

That's not strictly true. Russia/Soviet Union always had conscription after WWII as did almost every European country including the UK with National service. It's how those conscripts were legally allowed to be used which has become the sticking point
True. In the USSR it was mandatory to make even 5 years of the army experience,then two years and then only one year finally.
It's still like that in every post-Soviet country.
Most of those with military experience are required to stay as a reservist till the age of 50-65 (depends on circumstances). It's not like in the British army.

And ,in general, having a trained reserve is a very effective thing. I read articles about Soviet-Afghan war and in the beginning of the war there were mostly elder reservists there,they were much more effective than young drafted men (after) and a reservist army showed a very good result.

True. In the USSR it was mandatory to make even 5 years of the army experience,then two years and then only one year finally.
It's still like that in every post-Soviet country.
Most of those with military experience are required to stay as a reservist till the age of 50-65 (depends on circumstances). It's not like in the British army.
As with nearly all Western countries. In the 90s I worked alongside Danish, Dutch German and even Polish guys doing mandatory military service which was normally decided on a ballot system. Neutral nations like Switzerland and Sweden had almost complete mandatory service for all it's population.

Latest posts