• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

They were saying that the proposed Swiss style deal was something being earmarked years from now rather than the immediate future. Perhaps they are predicting a pro closer relationship with the EU momentum swing as older voters die off. The current YouGov poll showed that most people now think Brexit was a mistake with just over 30% still in favour of it. As people feel the squeeze economically over the next year or two support for Brexit will inevitably wain.

They were saying that the proposed Swiss style deal was something being earmarked years from now rather than the immediate future. Perhaps they are predicting a pro closer relationship with the EU momentum swing as older voters die off. The current YouGov poll showed that most people now think Brexit was a mistake with just over 30% still in favour of it. As people feel the squeeze economically over the next year or two support for Brexit will inevitably wain.
Listening to the head of the CBI on radio 4 yesterday and we was saying that there are still large parts of the current deal not implemented due to the NI border. There are things around travel, trade and science that should be much easier but until the bloody border gets sorted we are all marking time.

Do depressing thought, was speaking to a friend this weekend and he explained how the Tories will win the next election (I disagree but I see the strategy).

Simply put inflation can't stay at stupid levels it's mainly driven by gas prices and Breixit which will calm down, the market will find then find new cost of everything. Then inflation will drop, they'll say they fixed it and people will forget and vote Tory because they fixed it. Even though they are paying through the nose.

Do depressing thought, was speaking to a friend this weekend and he explained how the Tories will win the next election (I disagree but I see the strategy).

Simply put inflation can't stay at stupid levels it's mainly driven by gas prices and Breixit which will calm down, the market will find then find new cost of everything. Then inflation will drop, they'll say they fixed it and people will forget and vote Tory because they fixed it. Even though they are paying through the nose.
Your friend is wise. The real slump didn't come from the scandals or the scum the Tories have in office, they came due to them ruining the economy. What that means is, as I have been saying, is that if you give off the perception that you have fixed the economy then those polls will change. 2 years is a long time and people will forget this ********. I'm still going for hung parliament or small Tory majority.

"Oh this is a terrible idea, we can't support it"
"Are you going to change the rules to disallow it then?"
"Nope, I don't think that's necessary."

You just know this is what's going to happen. They may not use it this year but pretty soon down the line you can bet they will.

When have the hardcore Brexiteers ever cared about honesty and integrity. Of course he's a hypocrite. Hell hasn't he or at least wanted to emigrate to America after the vote?
Also, German citizenship, wasn't it?

I really don't know what it was about the phrase "we've had enough of experts" that made everyone think the Brexit debate was conducted honestly and with valid experties on both sides...

The whole revisionism around the Brexit vote is now staggering with the potential of a Swiss-style arrangement for the UK with the EU.

Case in point, one Nigel Farage in November 2022

Yet in June 2016 he was claiming a Norway style deal would be good for the UK (which is part of the Single Market)

i will see to it personally? This from someone who was crapping his pants the night of the vote saying he thought the Brexit vote was lost. What an absolute Twat!

Last edited:
Farage is just a mouthpiece who has zero interest in governing and actually making a difference to people's lives.

I think the key to get out of this is for polling companies like YouGov to keep doing polls on a monthly basis and it'll eventually reach a point (perhaps one or two years from now) where there is clear evidence of sustained majority opposition to Brexit. This will strengthen the argument that the 2016 mandate is obsolete and that people want change.

There will then be an inflection point (after enough oldies die off and are replaced by new generation of young voters) whereby offering a Swiss style deal (which could be the first step to re-joining the EU) will be in such demand (perhaps because the economic situation in the UK is so grim) that one of the main parties will make it a manifesto commitment as a way of bagging the young vote and differentiating themselves from whoever is in power at the time. And they all lived happily ever after.

Last edited:
RMT going on strike same weekend uni students break up for Christmas is pretty shitty.

I support them but **** me they are just ******* over families with those strikes rather than professionals

Three concerts I've wanted to go to this year have all fallen on train strike days - absolute kick in the nards

I hate the RMT, they are the NUM of our generation. They strike to inconvenience people so they can justify their Union members' fees. Don't miss getting on the train or tube and getting affected to be honest.

Latest posts