• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

I'm not usually one for being angry at judges but we've essentially ruled someone can't come to this country to fight an action this country has taken upon them. That just feels inherently wrong.

Yes, it doesn't easily sit with what I believe either in terms of due process.

Once all the "she deserves it" for leaving and joining a terrorist organisation which is inherently against British values etc has died down she was still a minor at the time.

She is essentially being denied the right to argue her case that she should not be stripped of her British nationality which leaves her stateless. And leaves her no recourse now.

Yes, it doesn't easily sit with what I believe either in terms of due process.

Once all the "she deserves it" for leaving and joining a terrorist organisation which is inherently against British values etc has died down she was still a minor at the time.

She is essentially being denied the right to argue her case that she should not be stripped of her British nationality which leaves her stateless. And leaves her no recourse now.
It should noted the judges are probably correct in the law and the home secretary is allowed to refuse this right based on the threat. The issue is I'm thoroughly unconvinced a politician should be the sole arbiter of a decision as such and should have to present an argument and demonstrate the danger she poses by coming to the UK. The most worrying thing about the judgement is the recourse is her argument she should be a UK citizen should wait until she is in a position to argue her case better from abroad.

It should noted the judges are probably correct in the law and the home secretary is allowed to refuse this right based on the threat. The issue is I'm thoroughly unconvinced a politician should be the sole arbiter of a decision as such and should have to present an argument and demonstrate the danger she poses by coming to the UK. The most worrying thing about the judgement is the recourse is her argument she should be a UK citizen should wait until she is in a position to argue her case better from abroad.
I'm curious, but what threat? For me the reason they didn't want her here is that even if she lost her case, she would now be in Britain and then they'd have to try an extradite her, which is the real issue.

I'm curious, but what threat? For me the reason they didn't want her here is that even if she lost her case, she would now be in Britain and then they'd have to try an extradite her, which is the real issue.
This is why its bullshirt IMHO and the laws an ass the court essentially can't disagree with home secretary and he doesn't have to present evidence to why he's correct in that assessment. But yes that's the actual reason why
"It did not give the home secretary's assessment the respect which it should have received, given that it is the home secretary who has been charged by Parliament with responsibility for making such assessments, and who is democratically accountable to Parliament for the discharge of that responsibility," Lord Reed said.
"The Court of Appeal mistakenly believed that, when an individual's right to have a fair hearing... came into conflict with the requirements of national security, her right to a fair hearing must prevail."
He added: "But the right to a fair hearing does not trump all other considerations, such as the safety of the public."

Remember when a 16 year old British male was sentenced to a 24 Youth Rehabilitation Order for being the leader of the British wing of the white supremacist terrorist group?

Interesting case to compare.

All those people who claim she was old enough to know what she was doing, but also claim similar 16 years olds are not old enough to vote in elections.

But the comments about allowing her to return but then the difficulty to deport her is correct due to the lack of nationality.

This is why its bullshirt IMHO and the laws an ass the court essentially can't disagree with home secretary and he doesn't have to present evidence to why he's correct in that assessment. But yes that's the actual reason why
Were the supreme court judges given the reasons and evidence that she is a danger or did the home secretary just say she is without having to justify it? If it's the former then I guess it's fair enough as that information shouldn't be public. If it's the latter then it just makes a mockery of due process.

Were the supreme court judges given the reasons and evidence that she is a danger or did the home secretary just say she is without having to justify it? If it's the former then I guess it's fair enough as that information shouldn't be public. If it's the latter then it just makes a mockery of due process.
Apparently the supreme court ruling is the courts don't have the ability to override the home secretaries judgement and that judgement takes precedence over due process. Its might be technically correct but its just wrong.

This monstrosity is being rolled into #CPAC: "The Golden Impeached". The Republican Party is destroying itself from with in. BUH BYE!

1614371700417.png

Sarkozy sentenced to "jail" for corruption. Nice to know some legal systems hold leaders to some degree of account for this stuff... And just because it reminded me, here is a little gem from the golden years of the Brown era:

And in other news, Republican CPAC conference uses a stage shaped like a nazi symbol...
1614721677806.png

You wonder just how many times can these "unfortunate coincidences" keep happening? It's not the first time they have used iconography or terminology associated with Nazis. Ok it's not the Swastika but it was still a pretty prominent SS symbol.

And in other news, Republican CPAC conference uses a stage shaped like a nazi symbol...
View attachment 9548

You wonder just how many times can these "unfortunate coincidences" keep happening? It's not the first time they have used iconography or terminology associated with Nazis. Ok it's not the Swastika but it was still a pretty prominent SS symbol.
Sorry this is a huge reach...

Sorry this is a huge reach...
I mean apart from the fact it is the same, it's part of a series of "reaches". You then have the Trump shirts that had an eagle more closely resembling the eagle used in Nazi Germany than the American one, using the inverted red triangle in comments about political opponents (which was used by the Nazis to mark political enemies) to the frequent use of "88" during the Trump campaign (88 is code used by the far right, H is the 8th letter and HH is shorthand for Heil Hitler. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteen_Words)

So yeah, could all be coincidence sure, just happens that the campaign has on 4 occasions now used iconography that are in use among far right movements in the space of a year...

Budget day.

Furlough extended til end of September. Should have extended to end of 2021. Businesses and employees need some certainty.

rubbing hands GIF

Those 95% mortgages looking mighty fine

rubbing hands GIF

Those 95% mortgages looking mighty fine
It's to replace the help to buy equity loan so in reality its just a repackaged and slightly different version of an already existing scheme (bought in by George Osbourne).

The good thing form my perspective is does not just include new builds so when my current 5 year fixed rate is done I can have a proper look at the kind of house I want.

Latest posts