• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

I mean only because the UK conceded over customs checks between NI and Ire, it was always going to leave one of them threatening action
The UK "conceded" by upholding a binding international agreement that includes the decommissioning of weapons and normalisation you mean? This is a threat to break that, the other "side" are never going to strike first here, it'd require the UK gov or loyalists to break the treaty first.

The UK "conceded" by upholding a binding international agreement that includes the decommissioning of weapons and normalisation you mean? This is a threat to break that, the other "side" are never going to strike first here, it'd require the UK gov or loyalists to break the treaty first.
That wasn't my point, but I probably phrased it poorly.

I was trying intonate that blaming the Tories for NI paramilitary groups getting mouthy when they have done for decades is a stretch.

On your latter point, I don't think that's true - the EU have shown they are perfectly willing to implement a hard border - if they were to do that again, I would not be surprised to see the seperatist para groups spouting the same rhetoric of action against it. (That is if their motivations are genuinly anti-hard border rather than anti British).

That wasn't my point, but I probably phrased it poorly.

I was trying intonate that blaming the Tories for NI paramilitary groups getting mouthy when they have done for decades is a stretch.

On your latter point, I don't think that's true - the EU have shown they are perfectly willing to implement a hard border - if they were to do that again, I would not be surprised to see the seperatist para groups spouting the same rhetoric of action against it. (That is if their motivations are genuinly anti-hard border rather than anti British).
Have they really? The Commission immediately backed down, blamed an administrative error and apologised after the article 16 blunder saying it wouldn't happen again. That's after years of negotiating to protect it.

Nationalists motivations are anti-Britain in Ireland rather than anti-British, and rightly so, the disagreement stems from Irish land being stolen from the natives and given to British settlers starting with the plantations in c17 and only ending in early c20. There has been no reparations or any real initiative taken by the British gov to rectify that so the position shouldn't change until something is done about it. Presently most are happy to live in peace and not as oppressed second class citizens like throughout the 20th century and it's accepted it's not a worthy cause at the expense of that peace by the vast majority. But trying to tar the community as anti-British because of that is dangerous to everyone.

The EU still haven't ratified the trade deal yet, so it will be interesting to see how that impacts the vote.

The European parliament has postponed setting a date for ratifying the trade and security deal with Britain after Boris Johnson was accused of breaking international law for a second time over Northern Ireland.

The chamber's political groups agreed on Thursday to wait in light of the latest row with Downing Street, with some senior MEPs warning that the Christmas Eve deal will not be passed at all if the UK goes ahead with its plans.

Technically Wales is part of the U.K. You can have all of that.

The UK government has announced unilateral moves to ease the trade in plants from GB-NI.

Northern Ireland has remained a part of the EU's single market for goods which includes following EU plant health rules.

This has meant that soil from other parts of the UK cannot legally enter NI, causing difficulties for garden centres.

The government is now temporarily relaxing that rule.

It means that bulbs or vegetables that have been grown in soil can be sent from GB to NI with soil attached.

Anyone else thinking the UK government is trying to force the EU to tear up the Brexit deal so that's it's a No Deal?

And the reason for that would be?
Pressure from the ERG within the Conservative party and a resulting leadership challenge if they don't get a No Deal.

Why would the British government order an extension on the grace period a day before the vote in the EU parliament to ratify the Brexit deal?

We know the ERG wanted No Deal and this would be a way for Boris to get it but have the blame on the EU

Pressure from the ERG within the Conservative party and a resulting leadership challenge if they don't get a No Deal.

Why would the British government order an extension on the grace period a day before the vote in the EU parliament to ratify the Brexit deal?

We know the ERG wanted No Deal and this would be a way for Boris to get it but have the blame on the EU
Yeah no...

They wanted it on the table and they wanted a hard brexit but no deal was never their preference - JRM (despite no longer being part of it) was very clear about that

Yeah no...

They wanted it on the table and they wanted a hard brexit but no deal was never their preference - JRM (despite no longer being part of it) was very clear about that
Yeah because JRM and all Brexiteers have been completely honest from the start. Hell we actually did sign the easiest trade deal in history within weeks of the vote, this is all theatrics to make it more exciting.

The ERG don't want no deal, but they also won't be happy with any deal. Their entire existence is to be perpetually angry at Europe and they'll always find a way to be so.

Yeah no...

Sorry but no, there are many things JRM and the Tories can be accused of with Brexit but "very clear" is not one of them, not even close.

Latest posts