• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

This was a bit of a mental exchange..

IDK I swear LBC set this stuff up most of the time, to get Social media views etc.
(I 100% think, people are like this. But I remember seeing a clip from them being spread on social media during brexit which was right intellect schools liberial on EU something or another and it gave me odd vibes)

Also
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56572775

About time really.

Jean is mixing up Ethnicity and nationality - still a common mentality with some of the older generation and struggling to reconcile the two. Of course David Lammy can't be English or White/Anglo Saxon ethnically. But a person's ethnicity and nationality don't have to be the same. It's a big reason why populism has risen up so much. A crisis of identity is behind it IMO.

Jean is mixing up Ethnicity and nationality - still a common mentality with some of the older generation and struggling to reconcile the two. Of course David Lammy can't be English or White/Anglo Saxon ethnically. But a person's ethnicity and nationality don't have to be the same. It's a big reason why populism has risen up so much. A crisis of identity is behind it IMO.
It's the pollution bit that gets me. She tries so hard to not saying anything overtly racist and then comes out with that hahaha

Brexit didn't make me scour my family tree for Irish ancestry, but this might.
I've plenty of Irish ancestry; just no-one born there for 4 generations.
Which still makes me ore Irish than most Irish Americans - but not enough to play sport, or apply for a passport :(

Twelve police officers have sustained injuries in further disorder in Londonderry on Friday night.

For the fifth night in a row, officers came under attack from a "large group" of youths in the Tullyally area.

Petrol bombs, fireworks and masonry were thrown and the officers sustained head, leg and foot wounds.

The Northern Ireland secretary and first minister are among those who have appealed for calm after a night of disorder in south Belfast.

NI Secretary Brandon Lewis said the unrest on Friday evening was "completely unacceptable".

First Minister Arlene Foster warned young people not to get "drawn into disorder".

Petrol bombs, bricks and bottles were thrown at police during sustained rioting in the Sandy Row area.

Disturbances have broken out in Newtownabbey amid fears there may be another night of trouble ahead in Northern Ireland.

Police have been attacked with petrol bombs and fireworks at the Cloughfern roundabout in the O'Neill Road area.

A crowd of 30 to 40 people blocked the roundabout with two burning cars at about 20:00 BST.

It follows Friday's night of violence in which 27 police officers were injured in Belfast and Londonderry.

Three different situations of riots in Northern Ireland over the past 24 hours.

More riots tonight in Belfast because of the NI Protocol and a claim of two-tier policing here.

Note the final video shows adults cheers on teenagers

Wow looks like it's spreading. I've read bits on it, but from what I understand there are 3 different interpretations about the cause of the violence. The police say it is a response to them cracking down on illegal activities and arrests of those involved in the South East Antrim group with links to the Ulster Defence Association. Second Sinn Fein say it is because of Unionist politicians using extremist rhetoric and meeting with former paramilitary groups. Meanwhile Unionist politicians say it because of the Brexit deal, NI protocol and the PPS not prosecuting Sinn Fein MPs for attending Booby Storey's funeral.

I got most of my info from here.

However if anyone has a clearer explanation that would be great.

Wow looks like it's spreading. I've read bits on it, but from what I understand there are 3 different interpretations about the cause of the violence. The police say it is a response to them cracking down on illegal activities and arrests of those involved in the South East Antrim group with links to the Ulster Defence Association. Second Sinn Fein say it is because of Unionist politicians using extremist rhetoric and meeting with former paramilitary groups. Meanwhile Unionist politicians say it because of the Brexit deal, NI protocol and the PPS not prosecuting Sinn Fein MPs for attending Booby Storey's funeral.

I got most of my info from here.

However if anyone has a clearer explanation that would be great.

TLDR is pretty spot on with its summary but missing one potential issue... drug trafficking

Effectively massive ex-IRA funeral in May(?) last year, attending by several Sinn Fein members including the leader of the party and the Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland.

Unionist outrage because of breaking Covid-19 rules and demanding resignations. Sinn Fein didn't apologise and appeared to be no police intervention.

Many breaches on both sides for the next few months includes 11th/12th July celebration, paramilitary funerals, Rangers celebrations.

Two weeks ago (approx) the police handed the file to the prosecution service suggesting 24(ISH) prosecutions from the funeral in May but the prosecution service deemed they would not get any convictions because of the poorly constructed guidance laid down by Northern Ireland political leaders.

Unionists claimed a two-tier policing service I'm Northern Ireland, favouring the Nationalists, added to the rhetoric of the hard-line unionists politicians, fueling tensions.

Leaders of all unionist parties have ordered the Chief Constable to resign because of the lack of prosecutions from the funeral in May.

So the riots are suggested to be a loss of trust in the police in Northern Ireland.

I hardly think a teenager in some of the estate are really going to understand the implications of the NI Protocol and that's a red herring.

Though one important thing to note is that it could very well be orchestrated by the Loyalist paramilitaries because they dislike the NI Protocol - mainly because the drug trafficking shipments are more likely to be checked between NI and GB and vice versaScreenshot_20210407-220432__01.jpg

Last edited:
TLDR is pretty spot on with its summary but missing one potential issue... drug trafficking

Effectively massive ex-IRA funeral in May(?) last year, attending by several Sinn Fein members including the leader of the party and the Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland.

Unionist outrage because of breaking Covid-19 rules and demanding resignations. Sinn Fein didn't apologise and appeared to be no police intervention.

Many breaches on both sides for the next few months includes 11th/12th July celebration, paramilitary funerals, Rangers celebrations.

Two weeks ago (approx) the police handed the file to the prosecution service suggesting 24(ISH) prosecutions from the funeral in May but the prosecution service deemed they would not get any convictions because of the poorly constructed guidance laid down by Northern Ireland political leaders.

Unionists claimed a two-tier policing service I'm Northern Ireland, favouring the Nationalists, added to the rhetoric of the hard-line unionists politicians, fueling tensions.

Leaders of all unionist parties have ordered the Chief Constable to resign because of the lack of prosecutions from the funeral in May.

So the riots are suggested to be a loss of trust in the police in Northern Ireland.

I hardly think a teenager in some of the estate are really going to understand the implications of the NI Protocol and that's a red herring.

Though one important thing to note is that it could very well be orchestrated by the Loyalist paramilitaries because they dislike the NI Protocol - mainly because the drug trafficking shipments are more likely to be checked between NI and GB and vice versaView attachment 10505
Thanks that helps.

Latest posts