• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

I doubt the Judge will give Chauvin the maximum sentence, although I think he should.

Jeez, didn't want to write in this thread anymore but that's really interesting..
I can't say that people are scared to protest. It depends, in my opinion. Some are scared,but there are also other types:
In rich places like Moscow (where I lived for almost 13 years),those Russians who earn enough,they don't care I'd say,they are for "stability" (or probably some are scared to be back to unstable "wild 90s" and that's why they have a fear to change something).
In poor places, like,for example, villages in Siberia (I lived in one like that when I was a child), it's just complicated to protest, people don't "live" there - they survive every day and "political things" are quite far from you at this level.
It became difficult to make official protests last years though, that's true, thanks to our tsar.
Honestly, knowing how things work in Russia,me and a lot of Russian acquaintances of mine, we don't see any good alternative to Putin right now. There was one official who I'd strongly support,but our tsar put him in prison (and that official was the only good alternative I saw during last years). Navalny is a good person but I don't think he'd be a good president (not for Russia at least). The rest of our officials are same/worse than Putin,and to replace one tsar with another..that won't change things. The problem is not only in Putin,we have to change the whole government system imo.
P.S. Steve Rosenberg has a VERY good level of Russian. Best Russian I've ever heard from a foreigner, really impressive o_O

https://www.netflix.com/***le/80158770?s=i&trkid=13747225

Watched this last week. It's a bit too short but goes into how Lenin took over because of Nicholas II incompetence's led to the rise of the Russian revolution 104 years ago. Just reminded that Russia always seems to revert back to an autocrat. The sheer size of the country, history, culture and mentality, sacrifices of the people seems to demand this somehow.

Like China, where my ancestry is from and how they were effectively humiliated by invasions by the British in the 19th century and Japanese in the 20th century , which led to the rise and today the entrenchment of the CCP.

I doubt the Judge will give Chauvin the maximum sentence, although I think he should.

Maximum of 40 years for the most serious charge he's been convicted. If he gets half of that including time already served it will be hefty. And together running concurrently with the others.

Don't envy him being a former cop now Felon going inside. He'll be prime target for other in mates, unless he's given some kind of special protection.

Maximum of 40 years for the most serious charge he's been convicted. If he gets half of that including time already served it will be hefty. And together running concurrently with the others.

Don't envy him being a former cop now Felon going inside. He'll be prime target for other in mates, unless he's given some kind of special protection.
Maximum of 25 for the third degree murder charge. So you'd expect it somewhere in between that and 40 (I have zero idea what sentencing guidelines are in the USA, likely a joke).

Either way even with 50% off for good behaviour I don't think many people think he'll survive prison.

unless he's given some kind of special protection.
I'm pretty sure I learned this off a TV show, so pinch of salt n all that, but I think police sent to prison are segregated
Though that's still no guarantee of safety considering what he's done/how known he is - apparently during his time served so far they'd only allow white prison guards to deal with him for fear of attack

Don't they have statutory minimum sentencing as well - something like 85% of the maximum?
Or is that a statutory minimum amount of whatever sentence has to be actually served, rather than an early release for good behaviour?

Don't they have statutory minimum sentencing as well - something like 85% of the maximum?
Or is that a statutory minimum amount of whatever sentence has to be actually served, rather than an early release for good behaviour?

Can't say I know Minnesota state law on sentencing. Here if an officer was convicted for this i wouldn't think that they'd get the max sentence.

Boris Johnson assured Sir James Dyson his employees would not have to pay extra tax if they came to the UK to make ventilators during the pandemic.

Sir James, whose firm is now based in Singapore, wrote to the Treasury to ask for no change in tax status for staff.

But in text messages sent in March 2020 - seen by the BBC - Sir James then went directly to the PM, with Mr Johnson replying: "I will fix it."

Boris Johnson has axed plans for White House-style televised press briefings despite spending £2.6million of taxpayer money on the conference room.

Can't say I know Minnesota state law on sentencing. Here if an officer was convicted for this i wouldn't think that they'd get the max sentence.
No way they'd get anywhere near the maximum sentence.

Coincidentally, there was a case local to me with a lot of similarities which has just concluded. The major difference being that the defendants were members of the public with no training, who were restraining someone while waiting for the police to arrive.

He was also restrained by putting weight on his neck and he also died.

One of the defendants was convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to 38 months, the other committed suicide on the eve of the trial.

Safe to say Johnny Mercer and Boris aren't on each other's Christmas card lists after his resignation.

His resignation letter wasn't exactly the traditional "been a privilege to serve and I will continue to support you from the back benches". And he's gone on to say that Bojo's government is a "cesspit" and "the most distrustful, awful environment I've ever worked in".

Safe to say Johnny Mercer and Boris aren't on each other's Christmas card lists after his resignation.

His resignation letter wasn't exactly the traditional "been a privilege to serve and I will continue to support you from the back benches". And he's gone on to say that Bojo's government is a "cesspit" and "the most distrustful, awful environment I've ever worked in".
Conservative voters will ignore that, those who already oppose the Conservatives didn't need to hear it. Ultimately it's got to the stage where there isn't much more corruption to be done that will sway Conservative voters any more. The Johnson government is a prime example of what happens when integrity and substance are completely looked over in favour of nationalism, chest thumping and showmanship. I seriously worry at the state of this country if after all they have done, the British people give them the A-OK to continue like this.

The USA is going down the most serious political rabbit hole in decades at the moment, Republicans are striking at the very heart of the country. The level of corruption and partisanship is staggering. There hasn't been this much of a concerted effort to undermine Democracy in the USA since the civil war...

Even Cummings sticking the boot in now.

Genuinely wondering to our more right leaning posters, when you see all the corruption and **** the Republicans in the USA and the Conservatives here are getting up to, do you actually care and does it affect your choice in any way or is there really no limit to what you will tolerate? Can anyone honestly say hand on heart that they still look at the right wing in either of these countries as anything other than a complete cesspit?

Latest posts