• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Don't think it would of made much difference in our case, all indications is we've been on freeze since 2019 and Lab have made some ground but barely shifted the needle.

I was thinking nope on Trump, but looking at the final count Nevada was far tighter than I remember it being before it was called. However the Georgia senate run offs suggest that wasn't a freak accident.

I think the real question is does Trump deliver a successful vaccine program and not completely scupper it and don't see how he doesn't scupper it like every other thing he tried to do.

Do we really have anyone like that in UK politics atm? (Genuine question, not a hypothetical)

I follow Zarah Sultana on twitter and I like her a lot, she's very progressive - though she has some controversies in her past that she'd be torn to shreds in the press for if she gained any real momentum in the party (got in trouble for pro-Palestine/anti-Israel tweets, and also saying she'd be happy with G.W.Bush and Blair kick the bucket)
I honestly don't know Corbyn could of been useful to Starmer but I think her only gets Bernie place if he steps down after 2017 at 'height' of his popularity. AOC an entirely different kettle fish our selection system don't work the same way as USA ones, an upstart isn't removing a long term MP in a safe seat. That requires turning a seat and that takes years and years of groundwork, Hartlepool is a prime example it wasn't lost yesterday could of gone in 2015 and 2019, 2010 look at UKIP and bloody BNP vote share.

Its been wavering since Mandleson caused a by-election in 2004.

I honestly don't know Labour that well in terms of its lesser known MP's, feel RLB could of been that person but also ran head first (probably accidentally) into a anti-Semitism scandal. Bloody idiot all reports were Starmer quite liked her, she was a good shadow cabinet member. Like Labour I know its apparently hard but don't mention Israel or Palestine its not that difficult.

Dr. Rosena Allin-Khan is probably too London, too brown, too woman and too educated.....polish, pakistani and Muslim to.....christ she'll never elected no matter how capable she is.
Nandy similar issues but is Northern and less educated.

As a slight aside - I wonder in Sadiq Khan will make a run for the Labour top job after his (presumed) next stint as London Mayor

Though, as you said about Dr Allin-Khan, I'm not sure large swathes of the UK would be accepting of a Muslim leader of the opposition(/running for PM)

Confirmation of the worst kept secret ever, Bill Barr intentionally lied multiple times about the contents of the Mueller report and the decision to not prosecute Trump was made before he had even seen a word of the report. In essence he had committed perjury. will be interesting to see if and when he faces consequences for his actions, although that concept seems to be going out of fashion.

As a slight aside - I wonder in Sadiq Khan will make a run for the Labour top job after his (presumed) next stint as London Mayor

Though, as you said about Dr Allin-Khan, I'm not sure large swathes of the UK would be accepting of a Muslim leader of the opposition(/running for PM)
That's the key for me. No way people would accept it.

Hell if those same people thought Corbyn was a Communist, Marxist, terrorist-sympathiser, who hates all Jews and everything to do with Britain, Khan has no chance.

Also I find Khan talks really quickly for me.

I don't think the public accepts him for also London reasons. I think they could if Conservatives weren't completely screwing with him at every turn and even lying about what he can and can't do. If he could do the job he wanted he might have a far better rep.

I just don't see it happening.

If your looking at Mayor Burnham might be a better shout but the left already said they didn't want him.

Good result in Gloucestershire even if the council didn't change hands. Tewkesbury definitely and interesting one as there were only candidates as noted the other day and no LD so the Green managed 52% of the vote with Lab only getting 6%.

In Tewkesbury East the vote did get split so the Tory got in on 46%, but went 36% LD, 10 Lab and 8 Green.

Shows the importance of non split votes and how **** FPTP is.

For me the problem with uk politics is there is no genuine passion really.

Difficult to get passionate about it when peeps feel they don't get listened to or are part of a groups in society who feel so disenfranchised by the political process and hence powerless to affect their daily lives.

How we get people interested again is the daily question of our democracy.

I will also come out and say I am in favour of an independent Scotland, Wales and even Irish unification because that is the only way I will see an independent England in my life time.

I will also come out and say I am in favour of an independent Scotland, Wales and even Irish unification because that is the only way I will see an independent England in my life time.
Wales and Scotland should invade and take back control of our borders from the foreign Saxon invaders. I agree

Good result in Gloucestershire even if the council didn't change hands. Tewkesbury definitely and interesting one as there were only candidates as noted the other day and no LD so the Green managed 52% of the vote with Lab only getting 6%.

In Tewkesbury East the vote did get split so the Tory got in on 46%, but went 36% LD, 10 Lab and 8 Green.

Shows the importance of non split votes and how **** FPTP is.
Have to say, I'm amazed LibDem got that close, especially with the split vote.
First time since I've been here (2006) that the right has had <50% of the vote (as far as I can tell, the right's previous worst was 2017 with 64%). Hopefully that drop will give Vernon Smith a kick up the backside - but I won't hold my breath.
Maybe next time we can shift him - but it will likely require an alliance of some sort.

Have to say, I'm amazed LibDem got that close, especially with the split vote.
First time since I've been here (2006) that the right has had <50% of the vote (as far as I can tell, the right's previous worst was 2017 with 64%). Hopefully that drop will give Vernon Smith a kick up the backside - but I won't hold my breath.
Maybe next time we can shift him - but it will likely require an alliance of some sort.
Yeah it's still pretty good result, it was pretty good results around the county. The council hasn't changed much but its encouraging that some sort of change can actually be done.

I'd wait for result on this one, there was a big push in London in left leaning circles to vote with heart on first preference and Khan on second. They're still reporting the results for first preference so it's expected Khan will romp home in the run off.

So Rayner takes the blame for the result in Hartlepool etc.

London Mayor election result expected in a half hour.
Rayner seams like a sacrifice without any real consequence for the baying mob without having any functional change as she'll get a different role in the shadow cabinet apparently.

Mayor looks like a slam dunk for Khan as expected after second round votes, 6% ahead on round 1. Just a question of how much he's support he's lost.

Latest posts