• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

For knowledge Bailey managed the same % 1st round as Goldsmith did last time. Khan was down 3% but still 6 ahead as I said.

2nd round Kahn had 56.8% last time.

For those saying Labour should be in a progressive alliance with the left, they can't even work together as a party on their own, let alone with others.
I mean this is always the damn problem. Hell the Pythons say it was their main point to Life of Brian.

They do need to act in a progressive alliance and they need to stop trying to eat each other at every damn turn. Is #starmerout trending on ******* twitter again?

Load of people yelling for Burnham again even though he tried in 2010 and 2015 and was called just another Blarite.

The entire thing winds me the **** up.

I expect the Tories will call a GE sometime in 2023, assuming the fixed term parliament act is repealed.
Starker need to act!

*sacks Rayner from campaign role*

No not that! KILL THE WARLOCK!

More seriously looks like someone leaked the smallest but of news about his much expected reshuffle to cause maximum carnage. And succeeded with the Labour masses and press running head first into it.

Bit of a mad interview. Previously Labour voters, now voting Conservative, claiming Labour have done nothing in the town and removed hospital, police and facilities.

Note the interviewer never corrects them that those cuts are because of Conservative austerity

Definitely emphasises how much the Tories control the narrative
All of these failings came under Tory rule but the buck just gets passed to people who haven't been in charge for over a decade

I think it also shows the lack of political education in this country - I don't mean that in a condescending "all these voters are dumb" way, but we are never taught how our government actually functions, from parliament down to local councils - and unless you go off and do your own research (which most people aren't going to do, because it's dull as dishwater) you're never going to find out.
It then allows people, like the above, to look at their labour MP and blame him for the failings of the Tory government without realising how hamstrung he is by their budget cuts etc.

I think it also shows the lack of political education in this country
This,

It's really frustrating how voting systems work, the various levels of government. How parties are formed, who controls what budgets, how the government if formed post elections. The difference between commons and Lords. Should all be taught in secondary school education.

But we don't because they 'think' teachers will influence how people vote. Then you get nonsense about how schools are brainwashing kids when I reality they don't teach anything along those lines.

So unless you are interested or study politics and philosophy in further education your basically completely ignorant.

Note: I would not teach political ideology in seconary schools that would be a bit of a.l minefield.

This,

It's really frustrating how voting systems work, the various levels of government. How parties are formed, who controls what budgets, how the government if formed post elections. The difference between commons and Lords. Should all be taught in secondary school education.

But we don't because they 'think' teachers will influence how people vote. Then you get nonsense about how schools are brainwashing kids when I reality they don't teach anything along those lines.

So unless you are interested or study politics and philosophy in further education your basically completely ignorant.

Note: I would not teach political ideology in seconary schools that would be a bit of a.l minefield.
I think teaching philosophy to primary school children and up is a good idea.

I think teaching philosophy to primary school children and up is a good idea.
I think to some most extent religious education does a pretty good job I have no idea if it's been extended to non-religious thinking yet. I'd like to see it expanded certainly rather than flirting with it back when I was at school.

One of the issue I have when talking about schools is I left secondary education in 2001. I'm now well sufficiently separated for it I have no idea what's different these days especially after it got Gove'd.

I think to some most extent religious education does a pretty good job I have no idea if it's been extended to non-religious thinking yet. I'd like to see it expanded certainly rather than flirting with it back when I was at school.

One of the issue I have when talking about schools is I left secondary education in 2001. I'm now well sufficiently separated for it I have no idea what's different these days especially after it got Gove'd.

Yeah, me too. I'd like to see it branch out to different philosophical disciplines, though, and not just focus on religion, which when I was a kid R.E was a totally pointless class really. It didn't really teach you much, it also, more importantly, never lets students question religious peoples beliefs.

Getting kids thinking about epistemology and moral philosophy is only a good thing, in my book. I agree with you, though, you probably don't want to venture to much into the political sphere. We need to move away from this pointless idea of teaching kids what to think and start focussing on teaching them how to think. History is good for this as well, imo.

This,

I agree, but it needs to go a step further. People need to be taught how to determine if the information they are given is factually correct. We've seen across the world politicians blatantly lying and people refusing to accept they have been lied to. Until people can recognise whether something is factually correct they will believe the narrative that best suits their world view.

I agree, but it needs to go a step further. People need to be taught how to determine if the information they are given is factually correct. We've seen across the world politicians blatantly lying and people refusing to accept they have been lied to. Until people can recognise whether something is factually correct they will believe the narrative that best suits their world view.
It needs to be updated (no idea if it has) but one of the things that was definitely on the GCSE syllabus back when I was a kid was reading newspaper and opinion pieces and decerning between fact and opinion. Maintain it was one of the important set of English lessons I've had.

Latest posts