• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Brexit triumph as crown stamp FINALLY returns to pint glasses after 15 years

Lee Anderson, the Conservative MP for Ashfield, was delighted at the return of the crown.

He said: "This is one of the many benefits of Brexit. The first pint I have with the crown on will taste much better."

God it's cringeworthy... Blue passports and crowns on our pints. Farage must be grinning like the Cheshire cat. Just go back to imperial units to really stick it to those god damn Euro types and watch them all blow their load.

"a strong and united team to Build Back Better"

The most sound bitey of sound bites
a 3-word soundbite? I never thought I'd see the day; certainly not from this government.

I wonder if they'll actually know what it means this time?

Build Back Better was the slogan from last year right before he ****** up Christmas?

Raab to learn the importance of an independent judiciary in the coming hours (not my joke sadly).

Meanwhile in the "leader of the free world", Garry Elder (Republican) has lost the recall election against the incumbent Democrat in California. Before any results were out, he was already screaming fraud. Seriously, that country is going down the slippery slope towards autocracy very quickly with how Republicans seem to have decided to just flat out deny the democratic results now. This is a trend that will continue. 2022 is going to be one of the most bitter and hate-filled midterms in years. Be prepared to watch as a large number of Republicans refuse to concede and try to tie up the system with fraud allegations.

- Mass fake fraud allegations
- Stacking of the supreme court (which just took the unprecedented move of allowing a law they say is likely unconstitutional to continue without a stay)
- Massive levels of gerrymandering
- Widespread voter suppression laws off the back of the fake fraud claims
- Tying up their stacked judiciary with their fraud claims.

This is how democracies have fallen, when the corruption seeps into all aspects of the system and the checks are removed. The Republicans are almost there and are now at the hurdle of simply outright denying the democratic results.

Christ almighty, are we really in danger of this being a problem? with 3 of biggest exports in recent years being Doctor Who, Downtown Abbey and The Great British Bakeoff

So there's buzz that BoJo might be leaning towards an early General Election,

Whilst I do think that one would be more justified at this point than many others (Brexit outcome and Covid could have effected voters opinions etc.) it just feels like a...power grab? Not sure how to word it

Like it doesn't seem right that a Government can see their support slipping, call a snap GE while they know they'll still win, and extend their time in power

2015, 2017, 2019, 2022 is a crazy schedule

Edit: May 2023 being targeted, apparently, which is more palatable - one year shy of the 2024 deadline, but also a standard four year gap from the previous

So there's buzz that BoJo might be leaning towards an early General Election,

Whilst I do think that one would be more justified at this point than many others (Brexit outcome and Covid could have effected voters opinions etc.) it just feels like a...power grab? Not sure how to word it

Like it doesn't seem right that a Government can see their support slipping, call a snap GE while they know they'll still win, and extend their time in power

2015, 2017, 2019, 2022 is a crazy schedule
I don't know why he would do it, its unlikely his majority would increase and he's seen the kind of rebellions that a smaller majority might have issues dealing with. Whilst I don't see them riding out to May 2024 next year feels 'wrong' we'd still be transition on Brexit (border checks pushed out yet again) which he'd be pummelled with. He hasn't got the argument of Westminsiters or the EU stopping him. And on the Pandemic there are few people who think he got it right and if this Winter goes south that will be fresh in peoples minds again.

Couple that with despite getting on better with the media than Corbyn did (not exactly the hardest thing in the world to accomplish) the reality is because of the Pandemic Starmer has struggled to get his voice heard. In election mode you might see a Clegg(2010)/Corbyn(2017) effect that when people actually have to see/hear him under broadcasting regulations they might quite like what they see (the very left won't but that doesn't matter) when he does get accross it does see a boost in polling.

It just feels like a nothing to win but everything to lose gambit for potentially one or two more years.